TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bearing Blow-out! Spindle question...
MoinSD Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Happy Holidays All,

I blew out a bearing on my last trip and had to hobble back 8 miles while listening and feeling the grinding of my front left wheel. I got back and started pulling things apart and the damage doesn't appear to be that bad, but I'm not certain. The local shops are closed for the next few days, so I thought I'd reach out to you.

So here are the pictures, they are from a late 60's ball joint front end with lifted spindles. As you can see, I have pics of the rotor, which also may be damaged. From what I can tell, there may be pieces of the bearing still on the spindle or in the rotor, but I'm not certain. Any information would be helpful, thank you!

TDCTDI Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:33 pm

That spindle is FUBAR, so is the rotor.

MoinSD Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Thank you for the reply, anyone have a pair of lifted spindles out there!

TDCTDI Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:47 pm

You MIGHT be able to find a machine shop that might weld it up & turn it back to the proper diameter. Those bearings were dry & rusty before you went on that trip, be sure to check all the others.

Wulfthang Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:26 pm

Be really careful about having the spindle welded up and reground. I used to have an old Bronco and it spun a bearing on the rear axle. The axle was munched. I called around and found a machine shop that knew how to fix it. They welded it up and reground it. Unfortunately, it crystallized the metal. the axle broke off while I was doing about 70 on the Interstate. It was not pretty.

halfassleatherworks Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:34 pm

Prime example of excessive grease.

BFB Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:40 am

im gunna play devils advocate here... not that the spindle is in good shape but with the exception of the outer spindle bearing saddle, all the other races look like they are still in place? id get those off and see what it looks like and how well or badly a new bearing fits. if the only saddle thats bad is that outer spindle one you may be able to use the OLD mechanics trick of dimpling the saddle so the race fits snug. ive seen that work several times.
also, no body asked what the buggy is used for. if its just off road youve got more leeway than if its something driven 70mph down the road.
but if u have the money and dont like to try to repair stuff, just buy a new one.
and check your other side, its probably bad too!

plotch Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:48 pm

It looks like the bearing race is still stuck to the spindle. The races contact the spindle and drum, the bearing is in between. Too much grease leaks out and makes a mess. Good luck.

MoinSD Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Hey All! Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to reply! Gonna take the front end off and likely swap it out with another (gotta love VW's)! I found a complete front end with disc brakes for $250 that appears to be in good shape! I'll take them down to the local buggy shop and get them checked out. Thanks again! Happy New Year all!

TDCTDI Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:08 pm

plotch wrote: Too much grease leaks out and makes a mess. Good luck.

halfassleatherworks wrote: Prime example of excessive grease.

Where in the hell are y'all seeing any grease?

plotch Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:09 pm

I didn't see any grease at all. I hope that the excessive grease comment was sarcasm.

halfassleatherworks Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:04 pm

TDCTDI wrote: plotch wrote: Too much grease leaks out and makes a mess. Good luck.

halfassleatherworks wrote: Prime example of excessive grease.

Where in the hell are y'all seeing any grease?

that's just it, to much in the can and not enough in the bearings... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: