TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Adriel Rowley Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:48 am

sportin-wood wrote: I believe a BOS is a Bill Of Sale.

Oh, that makes sense, thank you.

Well, someone's name is on the registration.

I would ask the MVD how to proceed, they been a help to me and know a lot more information than is online.

Chickensoup Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:03 pm

I hear ya'll.

Yes BOS is bill of sale in this case. Ill give the MVD a try. Issue is, the car isnt registered. And i dont think i can register a car on my own legally.

calvinater, Im sorry to hear about that. Some people are weaker towards greed than others.(not trying to call your family greedy people tho), you know them better than I. But yeah, some familes do suck.

iowegian, Im not saying your wrong or right, but what makes you say that(I honestly cant tell if this is sarcasm or not).

adriel, thats just the start of it. My father has cameras in every room of the house except for maybe my bathroom. He reads EVERY SINGLE text i send and receive through a monitoring app. He stalks my stepmoms phone with a hidden app. Ill be sitting at the dinner table for example and he'll be like, "So hows your friends new truck been". Like wtf i never told you this friend even existed, and i absolutely didnt tell you he got a new truck. The dude records EVERY ride im in with him. every day. He also does this creepy ass social engineering stuff where he'll try to manipulate or twist things like he went to school on it.

Im pretty set on getting my masters in mechanical engineering. i debated nuclear but i think id get bored of it eventually. plus with an ME degree i could still do some nuclear based stuff. Ill do some research on the transfer student stuff. Ill also look into the AD. I do plan on opening my own company eventually.

thanks

calvinater Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:22 pm

Good luck and LMK if i can i be of any help

Room for you if you need it.

Chickensoup Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:11 pm

i appreciate the offer. i just got news my step mom is forming back up plans to get me the hell out of here. obviously a divorce as well. issue is she hasn't adopted me and most my families dead. this has been a giant wake up call for me. i think im gonna ask my stepmom to register the car and get a title in mine or hers name.

my passat :lol: im gonna have to leave it here probably. when i got grounded i was half way through replacing the balance shaft(sub frame is dropped, cant roll).

calvinater Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Dude you should talk to my son , he took a vr6 out of sumptin and poked it into a 85 jetta, goes like hell . Drove from vermont to jersey and back. Needs more tuning, tryiing to get him to invest in a wide band. Life can be interesting.

Pruneman99 Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm not sure about Georgia, but I know I had cars registered to me when I was 16. I had a licence, so why not?

But I know each state handles it differently.

Good luck on your whole family thing. You sound like you got a good head on your shoulders so you will make it ok. Just gotta get through the hard patches.

Does Georgia allow for a title insurance policy? I did it once in AZ. You go to the DMV and they provide the last known person who had the car registered. You send them a certified letter asking them to release title. Either they sign off, send you a denial, or make no response. If no response after 6 weeks or something, you can buy a title insurance policy (mine was like $100) and the DMV will issue you title. If the previous owner ever comes back to claim the car, the insurance pays them out.

scrivyscriv Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Adriel Rowley wrote: Looking back on 11 years of my life seemingly wasted, I would recommend attending Community College and better, get an associate's degree...
I agree - I went to a community college right out of high school just because my sister was going too.. I went for industrial electricity to be an electrician, but they said I'd be better off in an engineering program. Well 'they' were wrong, math is my weak link, so I changed majors to psychology and graduated at year 3 with an AS in psychology. A few years later I went to an 18 month aircraft maintenance technical school, and have been in that career field since 2007 and have tremendously enjoyed it.
I use stuff every day that I learned at the college level. Microsoft apps is a big one. Macroeconomics is another. Speech and communication class was another great experience.
Anyway, you're in a tough spot. It is good to hear a counselor say "You're not the problem." Hold on to that, and don't forget it down the road.

Adriel Rowley Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:13 am

chickensoup pt 2 wrote: Yes BOS is bill of sale in this case. Ill give the MVD a try. Issue is, the car isnt registered. And i dont think i can register a car on my own legally.

Well, maybe the MVD can let you know who the last registered owner was.

I am not thinking now, rather, "scrap" it and later when of age, get it titled. :wink: No since keeping if all registration options have been explored and no way to register.

chickensoup pt 2 wrote: adriel, thats just the start of it. My father has cameras in every room of the house except for maybe my bathroom. He reads EVERY SINGLE text i send and receive through a monitoring app. He stalks my stepmoms phone with a hidden app. Ill be sitting at the dinner table for example and he'll be like, "So hows your friends new truck been". Like wtf i never told you this friend even existed, and i absolutely didnt tell you he got a new truck. The dude records EVERY ride im in with him. every day. He also does this creepy ass social engineering stuff where he'll try to manipulate or twist things like he went to school on it.

:shock: Yah, your Dad kind of sounds like my Great Uncle, may he rest in peace, with schizophrenia though back then there was no tracking technology, though he did what he could. Drove his wife, may she rest in peace, out of the house and fulfilled his delusion.

chickensoup pt 2 wrote: Im pretty set on getting my masters in mechanical engineering. i debated nuclear but i think id get bored of it eventually. plus with an ME degree i could still do some nuclear based stuff. Ill do some research on the transfer student stuff. Ill also look into the AD. I do plan on opening my own company eventually.

Mechanical engineering is so broad bound to find something. Dad was a physicist, having a hard time finding employment, until took his Aunt's advice to submit his resume' to the Civil Service. Then after been employed by a government contractor, they payed for his BS in ME.

Is there an internship option to get your foot in the door?

Why a Masters?

If you want to be self employed, my suggestion be to take a business or finance class or two as electives. Even if not going to do your own books, at least have an understanding.

Why nuclear?

chickensoup pt 2 wrote: thanks

No problem, glad to help. :D

Chickensoup wrote: i appreciate the offer. i just got news my step mom is forming back up plans to get me the hell out of here. obviously a divorce as well. issue is she hasn't adopted me and most my families dead. this has been a giant wake up call for me. i think im gonna ask my stepmom to register the car and get a title in mine or hers name.

:shock: Oh, my...that bad...

I am pleased to read your stepmom is being a good mom. Maybe once y'all have a place, see what can be done to protect yourself further, be it removing his parental rights or emancipation (mentioned this to an elder cousin and agreed), being she has not adopted you.

As to registration, I looked it up and has to be both.

Chickensoup wrote: my passat :lol: im gonna have to leave it here probably. when i got grounded i was half way through replacing the balance shaft(sub frame is dropped, cant roll).

I am facing similar with a rare 280TE with no front suspension, looks like I got to be out of the house by Saturday. I hate to, however, we know we are more important.

Adriel Rowley Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:15 am

calvinater wrote: Dude you should talk to my son , he took a vr6 out of sumptin and poked it into a 85 jetta, goes like hell . Drove from vermont to jersey and back. Needs more tuning, tryiing to get him to invest in a wide band. Life can be interesting.

I had a 2002 Jetta with an abused VR6, those engines got some kick to them. In the light body, that thing must scoot!

When is life not interesting? :P

Adriel Rowley Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:20 am

scrivyscriv wrote: Adriel Rowley wrote: Looking back on 11 years of my life seemingly wasted, I would recommend attending Community College and better, get an associate's degree...
I agree - I went to a community college right out of high school just because my sister was going too.. I went for industrial electricity to be an electrician, but they said I'd be better off in an engineering program. Well 'they' were wrong, math is my weak link, so I changed majors to psychology and graduated at year 3 with an AS in psychology. A few years later I went to an 18 month aircraft maintenance technical school, and have been in that career field since 2007 and have tremendously enjoyed it.
I use stuff every day that I learned at the college level. Microsoft apps is a big one. Macroeconomics is another. Speech and communication class was another great experience.

Thank you helping by confirming.

What an interesting career path. Did you specialize in an area of aircraft mechanics?

Chickensoup Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:29 pm

oh boy, theres alot to reply to today :shock:

ive heard good stuff about the vr6. my cars a TDI so the gearing is super tall. one thing i dont need is any more projects :lol: i just want to focus on one right now.

my grandfather in law, was a mechanical engineer. he really pressured me getting my masters last time we talked. theres lots of competition but like adriel said, ME covers sooo many things. tbh i dont want to be rich. i just want to do something useful i can enjoy. i never got the whole must have a big house and many exotic cars and a rolex thing. im not one for status. a humble life interest me more. ill do some more research on degrees tho.

luckily, ive almost gotten all of my required electives crossed off. just need one more foreign language class. next semester i think im gonna start taking college classes so i can get some credits done early.

scrivy, i must say, that is an interesting change in careers. glad you found one that works tho.

right now, with all of the slackers not wanting to do this thing called work, finding any job is soooo easy. ive got it made. KFC, is paying employees every day :shock:
my friend works a mustang junk yark. under the table job which is nice, but no benifits. which is fine for my age. that or catipillar is hiring.

my dad may be spending some time in the cell :shock: dont really want to say much more in case hes watching.

if i dont wake up in the next few mornings to find my car lookihg like a crumbled ball of tin foil, ive got a friend with shop space i can store there. and use tools :D

matthew henricks Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Chickensoup wrote: ME covers sooo many things. tbh i dont want to be rich. i just want to do something useful i can enjoy.

You got all three parts of ME right on... Diverse, no riches & useful.

Keep that in mind and you will do just fine in ME. :)

Busstom Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:22 pm

Soup, you need to set realistic goals and not worry about the pinnacle of a master's degree yet. You haven't made any statements leading me to believe that you're a candidate for a scholarship, and it doesn't sound like daddy's gonna put you through an Ivy League school either, so I would suggest that you take the most realistic path of least resistance.

Now, I could be wrong, but based on what I see in your thread, you're not exactly the most focused dude around, you're kind of a little bit all over the place (it takes one to know one :wink: ). So what I would suggest for somebody like you is this:

- Find yourself an accredited local community/junior college with low tuition fees in which you can pay your own way through, you'll need to pay for units and books. Ideally they also offer night classes since you are probably also going to have to work for your funds.

- Be honest with yourself and shoot for an A.A. or, preferably, an A.S. at the community college. The A.S. is less focused on general ed and emphasizes math and science (Associate of Science). Then, if you find yourself burned out at the end, at least if you earn an Associate's Degree, you've got something, a piece of paper, and you haven't wasted 2, 3, 4 years of your life just accumulating credits. A counselor at the community college can steer you in the right direction with any of their transfer curricula, and you can still get a decent job with an Associates. But, most importantly (see next bullet)...

- If you're up to it, you can then transfer to a university at that point, or whenever you feel up to it. This is why accreditation is important: your units are only transferable to a 4-year school if they're accredited.

- Once you have enough prerequisite courses/units, or the A.S., you can start plugging away at a local university working on your B.S. (Bachelor's Degree, A.K.A. "undergraduate" degree). It's a long road that takes a shit-ton of sticktuitiveness, but a good option for many people is to take on a job to start building workforce experience, and then do the university coursework part-time, and hopefully you've scored employment somewhere where they'll pay your tuition/books, or at least a good portion of it.

- The Master's is grad school, A.K.A. post-graduate, after the Bachelor's Degree is earned. So no need worrying about grandpa's master's degree until you get a B.S. under your belt. Oh, and guess what...if you want a Master's, all of your units need to be accredited. See the theme here??

You obviously have the smarts to do it if you want and you have the capacity to grasp advanced subjects as demonstrated by a number of your posts and comments. But just like professional athletes start at the local playground, then school, then college sports before they (hopefully) make the bigs, you have to stair-step your way there. Once you have the Bachelor's, the world is your oyster. You can do just about whatever you want since it's still the standard in most industries.

Best of Luck!

Chickensoup Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:00 am

Busstom, that was actually extremely helpful.

I started searching for a community college in Ga that offers A.S.'s in ME. IDK why but or some reason its a tough thing to find. Ive only looked at 5 colleges so far tho.

It makes sense tho with transferring the way yall described. And i had no idea about the accredited part. I asked my Councillor the other day if she could come up with some scholarship options sense my school is really bad at helping us out with that. probably because most people ignore the emails.

Heres what i just found,

https://northgatech.edu/programs-of-study/engineering-technology

I havent found if there accredited on their website yet, so im guessing this is something id send a letter or email about asking?

"in state tuition, "$3,002", without aid :shock: umm, thats a big difference than the 26k GT wants a semester.

Issue tho is that its a public college which i think is different than community. Will i run into any problems this way? Like if i wanetd to get my bachelors at GT?

Thanks!

edit- Ok, a google search answered one of my concerns. They seems to be accredited, "North Georgia Technical College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award Associate of Science Degrees, Associate of Applied Science Degrees, Diplomas, and Technical Certificates of Credit."

bigdog1962 Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:00 am

Augusta Tech
The Mechanical Engineering Technology program consists of a planned sequence of carefully developed college-level courses designed to prepare students to work in the field of mechanical engineering technology. Graduates will receive an associate degree with a major in Mechanical Engineering Technology with emphasis in manufacturing and design.

Is also accredited

Chickensoup Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:01 am

yup. i compared the two colleges. Augusta tech is the better college. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ceckert64 Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:43 pm

I throw in my thoughts here. Iím in a relatable place as being a HS senior and planning on going into mechanical engineering. My thoughts for community college is definitely make sure all the credits transfer and do all your non-important classes that you will need for your major, do arts, history classes, English, etc, thatís what Iíve been told at least. Iím taking three college classes right now, history, English and statistics at my local community college. One thing to consider is where you plan to live compared to how far away the college is. I have stats and English in person and itís a 40 minute drive one way 4 days a week. My history is online, makes it super easy. Some online college classes are nice for flexibility as I can get most everything done fir the week in a couple hour chunck, it depends who you get as a professor though. Also, when choosing classes and their times, consider your attention span :lol: it may be worth it to do a 3 hour class that only meets once a week but it may get boring and hard to focus for that long, as it also helps to have a class that meets over two 1.5hour classes a week. My stats class is 2hrs long twice a week and it can get brutal. After an hour-hour and a half I start fading a bit. Especially since itís a morning class. I would definitely take some college classes next semester. My school lets you remove two high school classes for every college class you take and the school pays for it. If your school does that, Iíd highly recommend doing that. Also, be prepared for absolutely no socializing at community college as generally they show up 10 minutes before class and then leave immediately after. I couldnít tell you a single persons name from my stats class. Those are just some things Iíve found over doing it. I think itís really good since it prepares you for college by taking a few classes and helps you learn how you work best as high school is you get 6 one hour classes 5 days of the week whereas college classes I donít have a day back to back with the same schedule for the entire day. Let me know if you got any questions, off to write a literary essay now :lol:

Chickensoup Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:21 pm

sorry about the late reply. Sometimes i see a big post and think, yeah, imma read that later...

Like someone else here on the samba. cough cough Ray :shock: :lol:
Dude have you seen some of his post? He knows some stuffs, but good lord it takes a while to read what he has to say.

anyways, yeah, thats the plan next semester. I dont think i have to drive to a college at my school. Luckily i can take the credits here which is nice. I think the closest colleges to me are in Athens. BUt, the nice part is im not going to be staying at mom and pops so i'll be close to my college classes no matter what basically.

Thats what ive heard as well about the socialization part. At my school, if you take a college credit you get to cancel out one of your regular classes as well. So i could literally have 1 class a day + electives :shock: My school is kinda odd. I have 4 classes per semester. My sister coach asked me to join swim. I say the pants they make us wear :shock: I said maybe next year :lol: I'll stick with lacrosse and Tennis.

I appreciate the insight sir :wink:

Adriel Rowley Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:55 am

Chickensoup wrote: Heres what i just found,

https://northgatech.edu/programs-of-study/engineering-technology

I havent found if there accredited on their website yet, so im guessing this is something id send a letter or email about asking?

"in state tuition, "$3,002", without aid :shock: umm, thats a big difference than the 26k GT wants a semester.

Issue tho is that its a public college which i think is different than community. Will i run into any problems this way? Like if i wanetd to get my bachelors at GT?

Thanks!

edit- Ok, a google search answered one of my concerns. They seems to be accredited, "North Georgia Technical College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award Associate of Science Degrees, Associate of Applied Science Degrees, Diplomas, and Technical Certificates of Credit."

I am late, had my own drama over here, my case is a Borderline Personality bio "mother," good to be back.

On this Community College, notice how it has a path to a four year degree, I like this. If you are really wanting to go to Georgia Tech for your Master's, no one will care where you got your Bachelor's. Any help getting admitted to a four year should be accepted.

Yes, as I said, Community Colleges are far less bread than a University. Plus, you can take your time, I took two and a half years, know of a Professor with a successful career that took three (he surfed more than studied).

Hope you heard back on scholarships.

Adriel Rowley Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:22 am

Chickensoup wrote: sorry about the late reply. Sometimes i see a big post and think, yeah, imma read that later...

Like someone else here on the samba. cough cough Ray :shock: :lol:
Dude have you seen some of his post? He knows some stuffs, but good lord it takes a while to read what he has to say.

anyways, yeah, thats the plan next semester. I dont think i have to drive to a college at my school. Luckily i can take the credits here which is nice. I think the closest colleges to me are in Athens. BUt, the nice part is im not going to be staying at mom and pops so i'll be close to my college classes no matter what basically.

Thats what ive heard as well about the socialization part. At my school, if you take a college credit you get to cancel out one of your regular classes as well. So i could literally have 1 class a day + electives :shock: My school is kinda odd. I have 4 classes per semester. My sister coach asked me to join swim. I say the pants they make us wear :shock: I said maybe next year :lol: I'll stick with lacrosse and Tennis.

I appreciate the insight sir :wink:

I am also guilty of long posts...

You two are so lucky to be able to take off High School classes with Community College classes, I couldn't hack being a full time High School student and attend an evening class.

I had five classes a semester except my senior year. If you did well academically and got all the necessary course work done, you could take three classes. That was so long ago, I don't remember what classes I took, just was glad for more time to study (I am a geek).

If you are going to be on your own, I would first try it with a motel stay. Can tell you from experience it is rough going from lots of family around and living with family, to living alone. I would also suggest getting a support network in place.

The only way I made it here in Arizona for over ten years, by golly time flies :shock: , is to have a support network. I have Dad's cousins I chat on Marco Polo on, text, or calls. I also had to learn to make friends (not easy for me) and try to make time for them between classes and studying, wish had made more time (how come I am almost 35 and only started dating for the first time just over six months ago).

As for socialization, I did have it, because I was in a degree program. I bet if you were at NGTC or other study program you also have some opportunity. I also had classmates I would study with, we meet before or after class.

As for tight fitting swimwear, it is for a reason: less drag. :P Do they shave off their body hair? Every sport is a culture and very expensive, why I never got in.

By the way, I adore swimming and because of my big chest (I used to be an inverted triangle), could go 24 strokes before breathing (average is about 13). I grew up swimming, there was the pool or better the beach. I miss swimming so much, when I build our own house, going to have a lap pool. Nothing like a swim before breakfast to get the morning started.