TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Chickensoup Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:09 pm

no title :cry:

matthew henricks Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:09 am

Not a view of a bug you want to see without a rotisserie. Does make cleaning the underside easy though. How the damage was not bad.

When working on the heater channel are you concerned at all that the door area will move as you replace your metal?

Lingwendil Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:18 am

Wait whats going on with having to get rid of it?

Chickensoup Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:08 am

Lingwendil wrote: Wait whats going on with having to get rid of it?

An investigation is being launched on my dad for molesting minors including my sister. If it develops into something bigger like a court case then any chance of be being able to finish my car is flushed down the drain. I have 8 months to finish it and im honestly not seeing it possible. Plus, they would claim the car as their own because im am 17 and not 18.

Plus at this point my parents are so full of hate i will never be off their "special grounding" I just need to start saving up so im not homeless when i move out.

Im thinking about enlisting in the army and have my starting date the day after i graduate. Ill probably serve for two years, go to college for two years, and then maybe ill be back to this game and pick up a new project.

Ceckert64 Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:46 am

Chickensoup wrote: Im thinking about enlisting in the army and have my starting date the day after i graduate. Ill probably serve for two years, go to college for two years, and then maybe ill be back to this game and pick up a new project.
That honestly sounds like a pretty good plan for you. I think the Army may also pay for part of college (?)

Lingwendil Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:09 pm

Chickensoup wrote: Lingwendil wrote: Wait whats going on with having to get rid of it?

An investigation is being launched on my dad for molesting minors including my sister. If it develops into something bigger like a court case then any chance of be being able to finish my car is flushed down the drain. I have 8 months to finish it and im honestly not seeing it possible. Plus, they would claim the car as their own because im am 17 and not 18.

Plus at this point my parents are so full of hate i will never be off their "special grounding" I just need to start saving up so im not homeless when i move out.

Im thinking about enlisting in the army and have my starting date the day after i graduate. Ill probably serve for two years, go to college for two years, and then maybe ill be back to this game and pick up a new project.

:shock:

Do you know anybody with property that you could store stuff with? Or even rent a storage unit?

Man. :?

Pruneman99 Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:51 pm

Yikes. Sorry for your situation. I hope you make it through. The military might be a good choice.

If you go in, go into a job that translates to the outside world. As important as infantry, EOD, tankmen etc are, the jobs don't really equate to outside job skills.

If your test scores are high enough, and you like airplanes, I'd recommend air traffic control. There is a massive shortage of us, and the jobs pay very very well. No 4 year degree needed.

You'd want to join Air Force, Navy, or the Marine Corps, not the Army if you went for ATC. The Army has Air Traffic Controllers, but they don't adhear to FAA standards.

The enlistment period is longer, generally 5-6 years because it takes a long time to train and actually become usable.

When you get out, you can get a job making pretty damn good money right outta the box.

Chickensoup Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:08 pm

yeah from what it seems ceckert, the military will pay for most if not all your college funds.

lingwendil, John who runs bugs for christ would probably absolutely let me stash the goods at his place, however getting it there without my parents reporting it stolen or something is super unlikely. i would really like for that to come true, and if it will im going to have to play it really really smart.

pruneman, i really appropriate the advice. like you said the 2 and 3 year contracts arent a very good option which i now realize. Although, im fine with the idea of a 4 or 5 year contract.

I would like to find a job that will look good for when i apply for my ME degree. im not sure what that would be exactly, but tbh a job is better than no job.

I started the pre application process/interest thing for the army. im waiting on them to schedule a meeting with me. when I get to that point and assuming I dont switch to the navy before i make my final descion, how should i go about figuring out which jobs will do me well in terms of money? i see you mentioned atc, but are there any other jobs like it?

when i was in grade school i really like planes, and i am considering it by the way.

thanks

Pruneman99 Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:43 pm

If you want to consider ATC, you can PM me with questions. I'll try to answer whatever you'd like.

Obviously ATC isn't the only choice of job, but the skill set directly transfers to the outside world. You can work FAA, DOD, or contract towers. You will make the equivalent of a masters degree pay scale.

Also, you can use your Post 911 GI bill to earn a degree afterwards if you'd like. The Post 911 PAYS YOU to go to school, and covers your tuition. It doesn't get any better than that.

Feel free to PM me, and I'll answer questions, or tell you more about my experience.

Adriel Rowley Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:31 pm

Wow... :shock:

You have receipts for anything? If you bought it, how can someone else report it stolen?

I just did a quick Google search and plethora information on ME in the armed forces, would suggest you look into it.

My great uncle and Dad both worked for the government, great pay and very good chance having the job for years, your whole career as they both did. There was/is a place to file a resume' for government employment and if matched the qualifications, be contacted; how Dad got employed.

Wish could be of more help, but I am also in a jam.

Chickensoup Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:18 pm

Adriel Rowley wrote: Wow... :shock:

You have receipts for anything? If you bought it, how can someone else report it stolen?

I just did a quick Google search and plethora information on ME in the armed forces, would suggest you look into it.

My great uncle and Dad both worked for the government, great pay and very good chance having the job for years, your whole career as they both did. There was/is a place to file a resume' for government employment and if matched the qualifications, be contacted; how Dad got employed.

i have thousands of dollars worth of receits thankfully, however the car itself was gifted to me after i sent my last one to the crusher. the funny business about it tho, is that my dad traded a rifle for it, and i dont think they have a bill of sale. would this help me?

unfortunately, the engineering jobs arent offered to enlistments, however more manual labor but related jobs are offered. the nice part tho is I can take online classes while im in the service and get a degree.

thats what ive heard as well. when covid hit civilian jobs were lost but the military was basically untouched in those terms.

thanks

Adriel Rowley Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:48 pm

Chickensoup wrote: Adriel Rowley wrote: Wow... :shock:

i have thousands of dollars worth of receits thankfully, however the car itself was gifted to me after i sent my last one to the crusher. the funny business about it tho, is that my dad traded a rifle for it, and i dont think they have a bill of sale. would this help me?

Well, something better than nothing.

So, there is no Georgia title? Hmmm... What about going back and talking to the PO?

Is the vehicle registered? If so, in your Dad's name?

Georgia looks complicated, maybe John can help?

Chickensoup wrote: unfortunately, the engineering jobs arent offered to enlistments, however more manual labor but related jobs are offered. the nice part tho is I can take online classes while im in the service and get a degree.

Ah, okay. My great grandfather was a colonel, not sure what kind of engineer, planned several bases in World War Two including Camp La Jolla.

Chickensoup wrote: thats what ive heard as well. when covid hit civilian jobs were lost but the military was basically untouched in those terms.

Not just pandemic(s), other situations too. Both Uncle Wes and Dad were at least eccentric and not sure Dad would make it in non-government job, per a letter addressed to him from his Aunt. Plus, also understand good benefits.

Chickensoup wrote: thanks

Glad to help. :D

foamermetal Thu May 05, 2022 9:56 am

Was just thinking about the status of your bug from when I was giving you some tips on welding the front back on at John's. I pray things work out with your parents issues. Surely the bug could be put somewhere for storage. As far as jobs go in the Military I for one wanted the training for a comparable job in the civilian world if that route were to present itself, which it did in meeting my future wife who had a nursing career that didn't line up with the military. Thus is why I have been an aircraft sheetmetal mechanic going on 36 years. 4 in the military and the rest various airlines and aircraft companies. If i could go back Id lean more towards a machinist background. Don't settle and search diligently. Praying for patience for you and the things going on.

Chickensoup Fri May 06, 2022 7:54 am

Well this is a surprise :) I appreciate the prayers and advice. Been going under intense spiritual warfare lately. When I talk to my local recruiter sometime next week I'll try to empathise I'm aiming for a machinists or fabricator job. As much as I enjoy working on my own cars im not really interested in destroying my body working on diesels if i dont have to.

Adriel Rowley Fri May 06, 2022 8:06 am

Chickensoup wrote: Well this is a surprise :)

What is?

Chickensoup Fri May 06, 2022 8:27 pm

Adriel Rowley wrote: Chickensoup wrote: Well this is a surprise :)

What is?

I didnt know Jeff knew I had a build thread yet alone visited the samba. Just news to me i guess.

Adriel Rowley Fri May 06, 2022 9:00 pm

Chickensoup wrote: Adriel Rowley wrote: Chickensoup wrote: Well this is a surprise :)

What is?

I didnt know Jeff knew I had a build thread yet alone visited the samba. Just news to me i guess.

Thank you for clarifying, I am running on two cylinders out of six...

By the way, glad to see you have local help.

Chickensoup Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:44 pm

Well I won't be able to work on the car this summer, but here is a wishlist I could use some insight on.

I'm getting ready to buy, but I was wondering if there is anything on this list that would be a big no no in regards to quality. Thanks

https://www2.cip1.com/wishlist.php?publicwishlist=975889f2-1fb3-470c-ba2f-

67rustavenger Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:48 pm

Chickensoup wrote: Well I won't be able to work on the car this summer, but here is a wishlist I could use some insight on.

I'm getting ready to buy, but I was wondering if there is anything on this list that would be a big no no in regards to quality. Thanks

It appears the link won't work.
I think you would have to share your login info for us to access your wishlist.
Please don't share it, for security reasons, of course.

Maybe copy the list and post it here?

Chickensoup Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:52 pm

67rustavenger wrote: Chickensoup wrote: Well I won't be able to work on the car this summer, but here is a wishlist I could use some insight on.

It appears the link won't work.
I think you would have to share your login info for us to access your wishlist.
Please don't share it, for security reasons, of course.

Maybe copy the list and post it here?

Oops. My bad. Thanks for letting me know. Heres the fixed link,

https://www2.cip1.com/wishlist.php?publicwishlist=975889f2-1fb3-470c-ba2f-528eb5dfa2a6