TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: off topic..... Radiator fittings
malcolm2 Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:40 pm

In order to spend more time working on my bus I paid someone to install a radiator in my Mountaineer.....

So, there are transmission lines that run to the radiator. I noticed that these guys used teflon tape on those fittings. I seem to be getting a tranz fluid leak up high near the top fitting. Should they have used tape on the threads. I am thinking no.

Anyone??

Tuff to tell from the photo, but you can see some shiny spots.

Red fluid on the bottom....

Wildthings Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:48 pm

It looks like you have an adapter screwed into the radiator which seals with an aluminium washer and then have a pipe to tube fitting screwed into the adapter with tape being used to make the seal. The joint where the tube fits in uses a flare on on the end of the tubing to seal. You need to determine what is actually leaking to be able to fix it. FWIW, I have managed to fix all of these different varieties of joints with a thin smear of a quality RTV silicone. Just keep the silicone from getting inside of the tubing or radiator.

SGKent Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:02 pm

you need to pressure wash the area, allow it to dry and then let it idle until it gets warm. Then watch. You could have a leak anywhere in that area including the tank(s). You can also put a dye in the fluid and use a UV light to see where it fluoresces.

malcolm2 Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks gentlemen. Well it is tranz fluid and only tranz fluid. Two tranz fittings on the radiator. So THEY will be finding the leak that was not there on delivery.

Wildthings Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Two answer your question a little bit more, it is absolutely normal and pretty much required to use teflon tape or some other sealant on tapered pipe fittings.