TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lowlight vin plates Page: 1, 2  Next
Burman Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:40 am

Haven´t noticed this before. Old news for some of you I´m sure.
But Karmann Ghias from 1959 seem to have different sort of vin plates.
They also skipped the "Made in Western Germany" and the "Karmann vin badge"
that year.

GHIA Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:11 am

The modification seems to have taken place in January 1959

Trylon Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 am

December 6, 1958 build/ship date:

I see that I am missing the “Made in Western Germany” plate...

c21darrel Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Trylon wrote: December 6, 1958 build/ship date:

Note your Philips screws, they are not original to your car. Perhaps plate was removed for paint and re-attached? Simple fix. :)

Trylon Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:29 pm

c21darrel wrote: Trylon wrote: December 6, 1958 build/ship date:

Note your Philips screws, they are not original to your car. Perhaps plate was removed for paint and re-attached? Simple fix. :)

And one I can afford!

Loren Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:57 pm

Your not missing the "Made in Germany" plate. VW left the holes in the panel, but stopped using the plate for the 59 model year Ghia. You can ad one if you like though :D

Trylon Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:01 pm

Loren wrote: Your not missing the "Made in Germany" plate. VW left the holes in the panel, but stopped using the plate for the 59 model year Ghia. You can ad one if you like though :D

Odd, seems like it should give the country of origin somewhere.

lonotch Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 am

Loren wrote: Your not missing the "Made in Germany" plate. VW left the holes in the panel, but stopped using the plate for the 59 model year Ghia. You can ad one if you like though :D

My 59 model year has the made in western Germany plate.

iowegian Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:30 am

Trylon wrote: Loren wrote: Your not missing the "Made in Germany" plate. VW left the holes in the panel, but stopped using the plate for the 59 model year Ghia. You can ad one if you like though :D

Just write it on with a Sharpie so you will never forget. :wink:

Loren Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:37 am

I have had several 59 Ghia parts cars and they didn't have the made in Germany tag. The pilot holes were in the panel, but they were untouched and had never been used. I wonder when the cut off date for them was. I have an original (original paint and low mileage, though the rust is not original) May build 59 Ghia without the plate.

Trylon Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:41 am

iowegian wrote: Trylon wrote: Loren wrote: Your not missing the "Made in Germany" plate. VW left the holes in the panel, but stopped using the plate for the 59 model year Ghia. You can ad one if you like though :D

Just write it on with a Sharpie so you will never forget. :wink:

Done. Thanks for the pro tip!

John Moxon Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 am

Nice touch Michael...and in Gothic Script too. :)

Trylon Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:20 am

John Moxon wrote: Nice touch Michael...and in Gothic Script too. :)

Thanks John! Willing to hop over to do yours as well!

lonotch Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:59 pm

Here’s my tags original to the car for any non believers.

Trylon Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:19 pm

lonotch wrote: Here’s my tags original to the car for any non believers.

You have two origin markers!

Loren Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:37 pm

lonotch,

Do you know what month your 59 Ghia was produced?

grailoc Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 am

Hi Guys,

I had a question, I know those VIN plates are available as repro however I was wondering how it is possible to get these numbers stamped properly, as the repro I found do not have any numbers as they also fit beetle and bus maybe ?

lonotch Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:17 am

Loren wrote: lonotch,

Loren I’ve never got a birth certificate for my car, if you want I’ll pm you my VIN and maybe you could narrow down the month from that?

John Moxon Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 am

lonotch wrote: Loren wrote: lonotch,

Loren I’ve never got a birth certificate for my car, if you want I’ll pm you my VIN and maybe you could narrow down the month from that?

Have a looks through the '59s on The KG Lowlight Registry Neil, quite a few give their Vin and bulld dates: http://www.kglowlightregistry.com/index.php?Year=1...ass%5B%5D=

Trylon Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:45 am

John Moxon wrote: lonotch wrote: Loren wrote: lonotch,

Have a looks through the '59s on The KG Lowlight Registry Neil, quite a few give their Vin and bulld dates: http://www.kglowlightregistry.com/index.php?Year=1...ass%5B%5D=

Speaking of the LLR— I tried to get mine on the site but get no response. Defunct? I hope not as it is a great repository. If so, perhaps the owner might be willing to let someone take it over? I know a pretty savvy computer guy...