TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1951 ignition switch question
386kustoms Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 am

so im restoring my first split and have always had ovals, i have a stupid amateur question and figured id ask on here. i got a speedo pod with my 51 someone drilled out the hole for ign cyl to put a larger aftermarket one in there, im not to worried about it cause i will just buy another aftermarket one to put back in there, my question is how did the orig cyl work. did it have 3 stops? 1 for all off, 1 for acc, and one for running? i still want to use the start button and just trying to figure out what aftermarket switch would work best. i know the orig cyl had three wires going to the back of it and im assuming one wire was hot coming in from batt, one wire was for acc, and one was for coil is that correct?

virtanen Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:46 am

Original has only on/off positions.

386kustoms Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 am

virtanen wrote: Original has only on/off positions.

thank you, so what are the three wires for on rear? i see one is constant power from battery, one goes to three of the dash lights and one goes to coil, do the coil and dash lights stay powerd when key is turned on? i know the coil wire does just confused about the idiot lights

D-train Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:45 pm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/10_51bug.jpg

I donít have a split, it these diagrams always helped whenever Iíve done a car.

ZENVWDRIVER Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 am

386kustoms wrote: so im restoring my first split and have always had ovals, i have a stupid amateur question and figured id ask on here. i got a speedo pod with my 51 someone drilled out the hole for ign cyl to put a larger aftermarket one in there, im not to worried about it cause i will just buy another aftermarket one to put back in there, my question is how did the orig cyl work. did it have 3 stops? 1 for all off, 1 for acc, and one for running? i still want to use the start button and just trying to figure out what aftermarket switch would work best. i know the orig cyl had three wires going to the back of it and im assuming one wire was hot coming in from batt, one wire was for acc, and one was for coil is that correct?