TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: HELP on Correct floor pan and tinware colour for 1950 Beetle
D+S Mark Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Hi, I'm in gathering info mode, before I restore my 1950 Beetle. The floor and tinware color don't seem totally black, are they originally Grey-Black?

Can anyone let me know if they were originally the same color?
I'm assuming the beam etc were the same color as the pan?
And what the color codes were?

Thank you for your help, Mark

ZENVWDRIVER Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:09 pm

the color is "black"
It is my understanding, as an artist, there are 256 shades of black - or there are 256 shades, the human-eye can see - with a slight sheen, some light is reflected and might appear a little lighter on some metal parts, but is still considered - in the black family.

sled Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:32 pm

my 51 has original black tin and pan. The gloss on the tin is quite high.

D+S Mark Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:24 am

Thanks for your help.
I'm trying to find an actual VW paint code to give the body shop.

I bought some straight black paint and it's not close to the pan color I have, under the body gasket, which I'm assuming is unfaded / as was when new.
Thanks Mark

splitjunkie Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:46 pm

As Sled said, black and shiny. The pan was not primered and sanded so the paint is not perfect but it is definitely shiny.

Flat or matt is incorrect.

OG paint on pan.

OG paint on fan shroud

Lanny Hussey Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:00 pm

I know in the later cars VW called it Anthracite. I've found it to have a touch of blue grey in it. The early cars had variances in the gloss, and certainly in the depth of the color. I had a RHD CKD Australasia Beetle that had a floor pan that was dark grey but had black engine tin.
I had the Anthracite mixed from a seat frame that had been covered in upholstery since new. You can have it mixed also, as long as the example is clean. A quick cut/buff might help.