TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clicking noise in rear when turning left
bhartwell59 Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 am

All,

When turning left (with gas, like a quick left in a parking garage), I have a clicking noise from the rear. Doesn't happen any other time.

I replaced the CV joints + axle shafts 3 months ago and recently had the engine rebuilt.

Thoughts?

KGCoupe Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:41 am

CV joint would've been my first guess, but I believe that a failing wheel bearing can make a similar clicking sound.

The fact that it only happens when turning may indicate the problem is located in the front.

I'm not sure on which side the wheel bearings are under more strain in a left hand turn (or if either side actually is).

Maybe try putting the front end up on jack stands, grab a front tire with your hands at 12 and 6, and see if you can feel any play when pushing in with one hand and pulling out with the other.

bhartwell59 Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:45 am

Would I feel it in the steering if it was up front?

KGCoupe Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 am

I'm definitely no expert by any means, but from past experience I'd say that the steering setup on a Karmann Ghia is vague enough that you likely wouldn't be able to feel any difference if one of the front wheel bearings is slightly out of adjustment or is beginning to fail.

djkeev Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:08 am

Check the Cv bolts for tightness. They easily work loose and will give you noises.

Don't assume that your new CV's are good either.

It is well known that many "rebuilt" axles you get from common suppliers for cheap money are exactly that...... cheap and prone to quick failure.

And yes, CV's will make varying noise on turns as well as acceleration or de-acceleration.

Dave

jeffrey8164 Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:00 pm

My suggestion?
Swap sides.
Will it happen when turning right?

First, unbolt them from the stub-axle take off the drum and see if the stub axle has any up/down play. Spin it by hand and see if it feels smooth.

Keep in mind, swapping sides will change the pivoting surfaces on the CV.
If the noise goes away, it doesn’t mean there isn’t a wear point in there somewhere.

See if you can pinpoint which side it’s coming from too.
More info, more clues.

djkeev Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm

jeffrey8164 wrote: My suggestion?
Swap sides.
Will it happen when turning right?

First, unbolt them from the stub-axle take off the drum and see if the stub axle has any up/down play. Spin it by hand and see if it feels smooth.

Keep in mind, swapping sides will change the pivoting surfaces on the CV.
If the noise goes away, it doesn’t mean there isn’t a wear point in there somewhere.

See if you can pinpoint which side it’s coming from too.
More info, more clues.

Swap sides and flip end for end otherwise the same direction rotation will be maintained.

Or just flip end for end.......

Dave

kiwighia68 Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 pm

I also get a "clicking" noise from the left rear of my Ghia when I turn left into my driveway. My guess is that it emanates from the packing between the body and the chassis in front of the left rear wheel. (It's called packing in the Bentley but it's really a thick, square rubber washer.)

Just a bit of body flex due to uneven weight distribution.

bhartwell59 Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 pm

Hmmm, good suggestions. Looks like I'm crawling under the car this weekend.

Will report back.

74 Thing Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Did you clock the CVs to the axle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBUhRf8MB0

Flipping them as well to get to an unworn area
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511396&highlight=cv+joint+article+van+cafe

bhartwell59 Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 am

Swapped the passenger side rear axle end over end... didn't change anything.

Doing so has made me realize the so-called clicking might actually be more a rattle (loose tin?). More research/crawling is on the to-do list.