TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Calling all SW Coloradoans, Rogue Valley and Willamette Valley f
2type2 Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:22 am

Re: Relocation
Moved to swampy Florida in '85 from Colorado ,couldn't survive on just snow cones any longer. Strongly considering getting out and relocating as retirement is imminent , ( not " eminent ")
So wanting to hear from some locals regarding what makes life good where you live! Right now the main possibilities include Montezuma/LaPlata counties in sw CO, and the other two. After living in the jungle for so long my main concern is having to deal with too much (frequency or accumulation of) Snow! As far as heat nobody likes 98-102 degrees but that is a matter of frequency and longevity to make it any consideration.
So let me hear why which area is better or not, thanks!

gt1953 Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:27 am

Have been to both counties over the years. Like them both. The snow stays in the high country and melts in the desert areas. Can you handle the elevation, thinner air then in Florida. Oh ya that is Subaru country, one almost in every driveway.

2type2 Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am

I lived in Durango for 11 years, so I am familiar with that.

Mike Fisher Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:28 am

We reviewed the Weather Maps before moving North from Hot Redding, CA to the Cooler Willamette Valley!

2type2 Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Yeah , Mike I 'm looking at maps, now how are those Willamette Winters?

67rustavenger Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:16 pm

2type2 wrote: Yeah , Mike I 'm looking at maps, now how are those Willamette Winters?
Cool, Wet, tolerable. If you can get past the steel grey sky's 6-7 month's out of the year.
Keep in mind that property values in Oregon are a bit on the high side compared to other retirement locations in the USA.

The lower Willamatte (will_am_it) Valley (Eugene) is a nice place to relocate. The summer temps can get on the hotter side. But without the extreme humidity of FLA. There is a good VW community there. As well as the Northern Willamette Valley (Portland).

We get rain statewide. Just don't show up with an umbrella. You'll get laughed at! :lol:

Come on over for a visit during the worst weather Oregon has to offer and see if it's for you. At least in lower elevations you won't shovel snow every winter day.

Good Luck.

Manfred58sc Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Fremont County, banana belt weather, affordable housing, low taxes, gateway to the mtns, underpopulated, 30 minutes to 2 cities.

Mike Fisher Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:15 pm

2type2 wrote: Yeah , Mike I 'm looking at maps, now how are those Willamette Winters?

We only get 1 snow storm per year on average, so it's not a problem really. We're always 15-20 degrees cooler than Redding in the Summer!

volksaddict Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 pm

Way too crowded in montezuma/lpc. Way too cold. Way too much snow. You don't want to move here :D

2type2 Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 am

Volksaddict thanks slot! I said I used to be proud Durango resident for 11 years ,so I am allowed back! But those snow pics on the death sites do look nasty and muddy. Oregon is a place I need to see more of. Any body else not want an old airhead to relocate nearby?

gt1953 Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:37 am

Oregon is a pretty state....kinda wet in some locations more then others.
I would move to the SW Colorado over Oregon.