TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Repair of meter needle
BugCaster Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:09 pm

I have this older MAC dwell/rpm meter with cylinder cancellation features. I like it and use it regularly but it fell on the floor today and now the needle doesn't move. I can't say for sure if the problem is in the needle hub mechanism but no visible signs anywhere else. Can someone point me to a person who repairs such things? Or I think I could replace the needle mechanism but don't know what that type is called or what to search for. Any suggestions?

blues90 Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:53 pm

BugCaster wrote: I have this older MAC dwell/rpm meter with cylinder cancellation features. I like it and use it regularly but it fell on the floor today and now the needle doesn't move. I can't say for sure if the problem is in the needle hub mechanism but no visible signs anywhere else. Can someone point me to a person who repairs such things? Or I think I could replace the needle mechanism but don't know what that type is called or what to search for. Any suggestions?

I had the same meter and didn't drop it , it all of a sudden read wrong, I'd check RPM and dwell and the car would not start so I used the sun machine they had and it worked. That meter cost me $90 or close to it.

HMVWNAB Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:29 am

Once knocked out alignment, the pivot binds.

Search d'arsonval meter movement repair

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161531

BugCaster Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:25 pm

I messed a little with it today. The piece on the axle with a slot was tight and now it will move and lets the needle move now. But when I hooked it up it still doesn't work, it just sits there no matter what I do with the knobs. The good news is the cylinder cancellation mechanism still works. I have a small handheld dwell I can use.
The strange thing is after I unhooked it and laid it back on a workbench the needle kept jumping around with nothing hooked up. Must have been some residual current or magnetism. Kinda spooky.

BugCaster Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

I plan to call Byram and Ram on Monday to see if at all feasible to have repaired.

Thanks for the tip

HMVWNAB Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:19 am

BugCaster wrote: I plan to call Byram and Ram on Monday to see if at all feasible to have repaired.

Thanks for the tip

Seems like there are multiple vendors in Hemmings classifieds that do this type of repair of Speedos and gauges with meter movements also.

Might be worth a look.

BugCaster Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:19 am

Good idea. I didn't think about Hemmings and I go to that site often anyway.