TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: 1981 (@wileythewesty) TDI conversion, from ground up Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Vanagon Nut Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks. Bear in mind though that given my foray today into auto tranny Sinka's, any rep I had is now tarnished. So, take my measurements for what they're worth. LOL. ;) Actually, I took care line up the clutch housing faces for those pics so measurements are fairly accurate.

If you ever go to a WBX tranny, but keep engine at air cooled position, some pics of how I adapted the WBX tranny to air cooled engine position. Flipped mount idea was courtesy of ?Waldo?. Rereading my notes, I would've done things differently and better but this was first time at this with beginner level fabricating skills so.....

https://goo.gl/photos/GXTagUdjdekict8R7

Even with removed material, mount is still fine afaik. e.g. no cracking.

Neil.

crazyvwvanman Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:01 pm

I think it would be a much better idea to move the engine/aircooled tranny rearward to the wbx position now. Less work overall for the long term.

Mark

Zeitgeist 13 Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:13 pm

It will give easier access to the clutch slave and starter. This is especially true if you delete the firewall.

charleslabri Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:50 pm

I cut the firewall out a few weeks ago

Zeitgeist 13 Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:06 pm

When Mark tells you some tips to make your project move forward, it carries a whole lot more weight than my meager suggestions. He's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about these vans. I strongly suggest you follow his recommendations.

charleslabri Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:57 am

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: When Mark tells you some tips to make your project move forward, it carries a whole lot more weight than my meager suggestions. He's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about these vans. I strongly suggest you follow his recommendations.

Referring to marks comment about the CVs?
Currently if I extend Greg’s brackets (which do not work for aircooled tranny position) I keep everything bone stock.
If I modify the trans location to be more like a wbx and fit Greg’s mounts, I end up changing 1) trans mount 2) shift linkage 3) CV angle 4) clutch slave position.
Seems a no brainier to keep stock locations and modify Greg’s mounts.

After being pretty active on the forum here for about a year, I agree... mark is def weighted in his knowledge of vans. A legend

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:26 am

One other thought is that the 091 trans was only available here for around 2.5 years, so they're kinda rare. They're also a bit weaker than the 091/1. Your new engine produces monster level torque, so if you grenade your current trans in the future, it might be difficult to locate a similar unit as opposed to the stronger and more readily available 091/1. If you move the trans mount now, you'll be able to swap in any trans, including a five speed 094. Options.

Btw: regarding the CV angle, with the drivetrain shifted rearward my axles are now a straight run to the hubs, rather than angled forward as they were in the aircooled donor van.

charleslabri Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:27 am

Ive thought about this.. i did some serious beefing already to the 091 trans.

My plan is that if the trans grenades, likely ill just turn my ride into a syncro.

?Waldo? Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:09 pm

charleslabri wrote: My plan is that if the trans grenades, likely ill just turn my ride into a syncro.

In that case you will need to move the engine rearward to the later position.

pjn_wyo Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:58 pm

charleslabri wrote: Ive thought about this.. i did some serious beefing already to the 091 trans.

My plan is that if the trans grenades, likely ill just turn my ride into a syncro.

Want to buy some parts?

charleslabri Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:12 pm

?Waldo? wrote: charleslabri wrote: My plan is that if the trans grenades, likely ill just turn my ride into a syncro.

In that case you will need to move the engine rearward to the later position.

ez

charleslabri Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:13 pm

pjn_wyo wrote: charleslabri wrote: Ive thought about this.. i did some serious beefing already to the 091 trans.

My plan is that if the trans grenades, likely ill just turn my ride into a syncro.

Want to buy some parts?

if i had anywhere reasonable to store syncro parts, id say yes. But r/n i dont ;(



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group