TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Interesting mid-priced fridge Page: 1, 2  Next
1988M5 Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:33 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Compac...op?ie=UTF8

Food for thought,

BK

1988M5 Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Another very interesting version with a built in battery, https://tools.woot.com/offers/acopower-x40a-42qts-..._469670890

BK

jimf909 Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Cheap Chinese heaters. Cheap Chinese fridges. I'm holding out for the cheap Chinese Vanagon Westy Camper! I figure it'll sell for about $8,500 and will have 250 hp with a trans that can handle it.

dabaron Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:20 am

jimf909 wrote: Cheap Chinese heaters. Cheap Chinese fridges. I'm holding out for the cheap Chinese Vanagon Westy Camper! I figure it'll sell for about $8,500 and will have 250 hp with a trans that can handle it.

Behringer presents "Vanagon" - an exact clone of the original, warts and all.

dobryan Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am

1988M5 wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Compac...op?ie=UTF8

Food for thought,

BK

That is a great price!

old_man Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:54 am

jimf909 wrote: Cheap Chinese heaters. Cheap Chinese fridges. I'm holding out for the cheap Chinese Vanagon Westy Camper! I figure it'll sell for about $8,500 and will have 250 hp with a trans that can handle it.

Cough cough

Igeo Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 am

1988M5 wrote: Another very interesting version with a built in battery, https://tools.woot.com/offers/acopower-x40a-42qts-..._469670890 BK

I have this fridge. It works very well.

epbiggs Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:40 am

Both of the linked units above are variations on Alpicool made fridges, which are available under a variety of brand names, including Alpicool itself, Smittybilt, Costway, XtremepowerUS, Ausranvik and others. Alpicool is a huge Chinese manufacturer of fridges and the warranty varies depending on who is selling it and which "re-badged" brand name is on it. They are available with different compressors, too. Most are Chinese made Danfoss/Secop knockoffs like mine, but many are now LG and some are even Secop. Some are even coming with built-in batteries, like the second one linked above. I did a lot of research on these more affordable Chinese fridges before I made my purchase, which ended up being the relatively new Alpicool T50 Dual Zone. It can be both fridge and freezer, or the divider can be removed and it can be one big fridge or one big freezer. It came with an Amazon backed 30 day "no reason" return, so I ran it for 30 days continuously to make sure it was all good, and it worked flawlessly. It also came with a one year compressor warranty, which obviously isn't as good as the more known brand names, but still not bad considering the price.


There was a "Lightning Deal" on Amazon and I was able to pick it up for $254.15. I noticed Amazon is currently out of stock on that particular unit, which is normally available in 36L (in stock), 50L & 60L sizes. They will probably be back in stock soon and are sold directly from Alpicool.

I know the Chinese fridges get a bad rap on many of the forums, including The Samba, but I think the price/value makes them worth a serious look. The Dometic Dual Zone fridge is over $1,200, so I could have purchased nearly five of the Alpicool units for the same price. Are they as good? Absolutely not, but they are probably good enough, at least for my purposes and especially budget. I was replacing a huge Pelican 45 qt. cooler, which is a really nice one, but is gigantic and no matter how good a cooler it is, it won't hold ice for more than 5 or 6 days, not to mention the melty mess. I now like to camp for 2 weeks at a time, so it really wasn't practical anymore.

If anyone is interested, I will share my research information. It covers many of the 12V fridges available and includes pricing (probably out of date since I stopped updating the prices when I got mine on Nov. 3, 2019), size/weight/watt charts, graphs, photos and a lot of other geeky stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yj5Gli-uIZCpIiXrFqpsfHghO7wfA3-I6JpSVrY_6-E/edit?usp=sharing

Andymon Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 am

1988M5 wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Compac...op?ie=UTF8

Food for thought,

BK

I bought this a while back and it's great!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PG8J8VH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jake de Villiers Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:56 am

dabaron wrote:

Behringer presents "Vanagon" - an exact clone of the original, warts and all.
Nice! "Look, it even catches on fire like the original!"

dobryan Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Jake de Villiers wrote: dabaron wrote:

Behringer presents "Vanagon" - an exact clone of the original, warts and all.
Nice! "Look, it even catches on fire like the original!"

Aux heater feature, no off setting though.

vanis13 Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:44 am

epbiggs wrote: If anyone is interested, I will share my research information. It covers many of the 12V fridges available and includes pricing (probably out of date since I stopped updating the prices when I got mine on Nov. 3, 2019), size/weight/watt charts, graphs, photos and a lot of other geeky stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yj5Gli-uIZCpIiXrFqpsfHghO7wfA3-I6JpSVrY_6-E/edit?usp=sharing

WOW! you blow my mind! this is AMAZING! what is your day job? Want to keep you in my rolodex! Wow! Amazing!

Irishcalifornian Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:02 am

ARB is the workhorse.
Mine is been running 24/7 for 4 years.

vanis13 Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:29 am

vanis13 wrote: epbiggs wrote: If anyone is interested, I will share my research information. It covers many of the 12V fridges available and includes pricing (probably out of date since I stopped updating the prices when I got mine on Nov. 3, 2019), size/weight/watt charts, graphs, photos and a lot of other geeky stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yj5Gli-uIZCpIiXrFqpsfHghO7wfA3-I6JpSVrY_6-E/edit?usp=sharing

WOW! you blow my mind! this is AMAZING! what is your day job? Want to keep you in my rolodex! Wow! Amazing!

this is so cool....



epbiggs Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:10 pm

vanis13 wrote: vanis13 wrote: epbiggs wrote: If anyone is interested, I will share my research information. It covers many of the 12V fridges available and includes pricing (probably out of date since I stopped updating the prices when I got mine on Nov. 3, 2019), size/weight/watt charts, graphs, photos and a lot of other geeky stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yj5Gli-uIZCpIiXrFqpsfHghO7wfA3-I6JpSVrY_6-E/edit?usp=sharing

WOW! you blow my mind! this is AMAZING! what is your day job? Want to keep you in my rolodex! Wow! Amazing!

this is so cool....


Glad you like my geeky behavior! I'm a semi-retired photographer, so I have some time on my hands. Actually, I like doing the research and sometimes I might go a little overboard. I plan on moving into my van full-time in the next year or two and am trying to get everything sorted out. Replacing my big cooler for a fridge was high on my list so I spent quite a bit of time on the web trying to make an informed decision. In the above photo, I just photoshopped in my top contenders to see how they would fit in a Westy.

campism Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:47 pm

Relieved to know you don't really have four Westies with a different fridge in each.

epbiggs Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:57 pm

campism wrote: Relieved to know you don't really have four Westies with a different fridge in each.
And, that's not even my Westy!

vanis13 Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:39 am

maybe I should have you "optimize" my on line dating photo 8)

kamzcab86 Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:53 am

1988M5 wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Refrigerator-Freezer-Compac...op?ie=UTF8

Food for thought.

epbiggs wrote: If anyone is interested, I will share my research information. It covers many of the 12V fridges available and includes pricing (probably out of date since I stopped updating the prices when I got mine on Nov. 3, 2019), size/weight/watt charts, graphs, photos and a lot of other geeky stuff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yj5Gli-uIZCpIiXrFqpsfHghO7wfA3-I6JpSVrY_6-E/edit?usp=sharing

It would be helpful if the above were posted to the master Portable Fridges topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505962 .

Food for thought. :wink:

epbiggs Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:46 pm

vanis13 wrote: maybe I should have you "optimize" my on line dating photo 8)
Send me a pic and let me know what you want to look like, lol.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group