TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: QUESTION??? Front Tire for my Buggy
Deejayrob Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:14 pm

I know this has probably been discussed in the past, but did a search and couldn't find my answer.

I want to swap out the front tire for my dune buggy and wanted to go with a taller/narrower tire. I like the 7.00-15 size tire, but will it fit on a 4.5" wheel? Also I know Mickey Thompson makes that size tire, but can you recommend another brand? I plan on both off-road (back mountain roads type stuff) and street use.

Thanks in advance. Here is a pic of my buggy. :vw:

jsturtlebuggy Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:36 pm

Yes a 7.00-15 tire will fit on a 4.5in wide wheel. I used them on a 4in wide wheel.
What I am running now on my buggy is a Bf Goodrich All Terrain 215/75R15 on a 4in wide wheels. Tire is approx 27in tall. Rear tires are BFG KM2 31/10.50R15 on 6.5in wide wheels.

Most of the 7.00-15 tires are not radials, Yokohama tires are about the only ones that can be found in a radial tire.

Now some have problems with mixing radial and bias ply tires. I have for many years on other buggies used a 7.00-15 bias ply tire on the front and a radial tire in the rear without any problems with handling. One buggy did a 7,000 mile round trip from California to the Outer Banks of North Carolina without and problems and with freeway speeds in places that were 80mph.
It up to you with what your are comfortable for you.

Mike E. Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 pm

A 7.00-15 will absolutely fit on a 4.5" rim. I am running them on the front of my fiberglass buggy. The desert racers have been running that combo for many many years. The only issue you may run into is getting a big name tire shop to mount it for you. The suggestion is to take it to a small shop and take them the tires and wheels not the car. I'll see if I can find a picture of mine.

Mike E. Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:49 pm

Deejayrob Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 am

Thanks for the info JSTURTLEBUGGY. That’s pretty much the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated.

MIKE E. , what brand tire is that in the pic?

Thanks guys 👊🏽

Mike E. Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:33 am

Deejayrob wrote: Thanks for the info JSTURTLEBUGGY. That’s pretty much the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Thanks guys 👊🏽

That tire is a Yokohama Y-720 Traction Service tire. It is labeled "For Racing Purpose Only" so it's not DOT approved if that matters to you. I opted for the shaved version. That's where they knock the sharp corners off giving a little more round to the tread.

You have a great looking car.

Deejayrob Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks again MIKE E.

dustymojave Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Mike E. wrote: Deejayrob wrote: Thanks for the info JSTURTLEBUGGY. That’s pretty much the answer I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Thanks guys 👊🏽

That tire is a Yokohama Y-720 Traction Service tire. It is labeled "For Racing Purpose Only" so it's not DOT approved if that matters to you. I opted for the shaved version. That's where they knock the sharp corners off giving a little more round to the tread.

You have a great looking car.

Interesting that your Y-720s are marked "For Racing Purposes Only". Mine are not. They are full-on DOT legal. And mine are shaved far more than yours. Mine are bias-ply tires.

Yoko DOES make radial all terrain tires in similar size, but I've not encountered the radials sized "7.00-15".

And I am not too fond of the Y-745 radial tires. Not near as tough, nor do they provide very good traction in my opinion.

Deejayrob Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:07 pm

jsturtlebuggy wrote: Yes a 7.00-15 tire will fit on a 4.5in wide wheel. I used them on a 4in wide wheel.
What I am running now on my buggy is a Bf Goodrich All Terrain 215/75R15 on a 4in wide wheels. Tire is approx 27in tall. Rear tires are BFG KM2 31/10.50R15 on 6.5in wide wheels.

Most of the 7.00-15 tires are not radials, Yokohama tires are about the only ones that can be found in a radial tire.

Now some have problems with mixing radial and bias ply tires. I have for many years on other buggies used a 7.00-15 bias ply tire on the front and a radial tire in the rear without any problems with handling. One buggy did a 7,000 mile round trip from California to the Outer Banks of North Carolina without and problems and with freeway speeds in places that were 80mph.
It up to you with what your are comfortable for you.

I also came across another option for front tire: Mickey Thompson Mini Mag E78-15 Tire. This one emphasizes:

Mickey Thompson Mini Mag off-road tires are specially designed for desert and short course racing. These tires feature a tough bias belted construction for superior strength and impact resistance. Many off-road racers have won on these time tested treads!

Designed for Desert Racing
Tough Bias Belted Construction
Superior Strength and Impact Resistance
Anti-Cut Compound
Race only, not for street use.

Any experience/feedback with these?What can I expect if I do use them on the street?

dustymojave Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Won't last a minute on pavement. Not their thang, ya know...

Basically a really cool tire based on the 1960s Gates XT Commando. They DO work well offroad. They were designed back 30 years ago or so for a little desert race car invented by Chenowth that used a snowmobile engine. But they also fit well on the front of a lightweight buggy or Baja.

What are you planning to do with this buggy? Is it to get used for moderate offroad cruising? Or is it for car shows on a lawn? Or is it for around town looking cool?

Answers to those will help choose tires.

One tire that's really popular for the front of desert racers is a highway tread 7.00-15. Same casing as the Xtra Traction tires. Better durability, better traction on pavement, yet very good for the front offroad too.

jsturtlebuggy Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:49 pm

I installed a set of the Mickey Thompson Mini Mags on my buggy I have now.
What I found is yes they are a good tire for off road, not so much on the street. They are a soft rubber compound and do wear faster then other tires. The main thing I did not like about them on the street (and yes they had a DOT approved on sidewall) was they were rolling over sidewalls, causing understeer. I was having to turn steering wheel further to make corners then I was with other tires. Did not feel comfortable on the street for me.
Years ago I used the Western Auto Sandblaster Jrs on the street and they worked great, Because they had a stiffer sidewall. Although they were a soft rubber too and wear out quicker then other tires.
I went back to a passenger car radial until I put 2 holes in a sidewall. They worked well on the street. After that was when the BFG All Terrain were installed on the front. Both made the buggy feel more comfortable to drive on the street with steering input being neutral with no over or under steering being felt.
This is just my opinion, others may have different experiences then I have had.

dustymojave Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:13 pm

I agree with Joe. A BFG KO2 in a 215-75-15 would be a fine choice for on and offroad use. Reasonable durability on pavement. Quiet enough. Good traction on pavement. Excellent traction on dirt. Size similar to 7.00-15. Not as tall. 235s or 30x9.50s are taller, but also wider.

jsturtlebuggy Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Here picture of the 215 BFG All Terrain tires on the front of my buggy.

This was the passenger car radial I was using before

dustymojave Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:20 pm

205-60s?

jsturtlebuggy Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:29 pm

They were 205/65-15 street tires. The reason I was using them was for the speedometer as tire was same height as a 165-15 tire.
Switched to GPS sender for speedometer so now tire size does not matter for speedometer to be correct.

vwdad Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:20 am

Just found these online, I think I'm going to get a couple, $89 each pretty good price.

https://simpletire.com/deestone-7-r15-ds1301-tires

Lotrat Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 am

Another option is the 7.00-15 Power King Super Traction II D/8 Ply BSW Tire

https://www.amazon.com/7-00-15-Power-King-Super-Traction/dp/B07FRGLKXM

I ran the Hercules HDT for awhile on stock 4.5" wheels. Looks like they don't make them anymore.

Deejayrob Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:11 pm

Decided to go with the Yokohama Y720. I’m happy with the stance. I’ll give this a try for awhile.

Mike E. Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Looks Great