TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cold Weather Clutch Issue 1984
Seelenbrandt Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 am

For the last 10 years or so, I lose all clutch pressure once it goes below 20F. It has not been a huge issue as once it gets warm again, I can pump it for about an hour or two and the pressure comes back. Unfortunately, I now live in a place where it is necessary for me to move the van several times per winter. I would love to figure this issue out once and for all so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Igeo Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:45 am

The condition you describe is likely to be related to the clutch hydraulic system. Either the clutch master cylinder by the pedal or the slave cylinder mounted on the trans which actuates the clutch. If it were mine, I'd replace both, but you could start with the slave, bleed it well and see.

atomatom Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:01 am

hello fellow 84 owner. interesting symptoms you report. when you say you lose all pressure, do you mean you cannot shift without it grinding? or does the clutch not engage?
i wonder if you're sitting there for 1-2 hours pumping while it is parked, or if you are driving?

not clear if it is related, but i am also having some intermittent clutch issues https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/posting.php?t=730832

Seelenbrandt Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:55 am

Good question - I lose all pressure and cannot shift at all or engage the clutch. So therefore all pumping while parked :)

dobryan Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:01 am

Likely seals in the clutch master or slave contracting just enough when cold to not seal well enough. I agree that replacing the slave is the place to start since it is easier....

dlb154 Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 am

Maybe you have water in the lines and it freezes up?
Try flushing the system and a properly bleed lately?

Seelenbrandt Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:56 pm

I was thinking it might possibly water in the line as well. Definitely time for a bleed!

DanHoug Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:34 am

i've experienced this also... it is NOT the slave cyl seals because those would puke out brake fluid if they were letting the pressure slip by. however, it COULD be air in the slave cylinder. it is NOT frozen water in the line because you'd feel tension in the clutch pedal and i'll bet that this owner will report zero pedal resistance.

so. easy stuff first. bleed your slave cylinder. at this same time, run enough new fluid into the system to flush out the clutch master. THEN consider a master change out.

Igeo Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:15 am

[quote="DanHoug" .....so. easy stuff first. bleed your slave cylinder. at this same time, run enough new fluid into the system to flush out the clutch master. THEN consider a master change out.[/quote]

This is a good approach. And yeah, it's not frozen water although the fluid could be compromised by moisture since it's hygroscopic. Try bleeding first, but if the the master and slave are original (unlikely?), then don't be surprised if the fix is temporary.

Wildthings Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:33 am

It sounds like a bad master cylinder to me, as mentioned above a bad slave would be leaking externally. Personally I would do them both. Masters tend to last about twice as long as the slaves so the slaves tend to be do for their second change out at the same time as the master.

Marshj Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:25 am

As suggested start with bleeding the slave cylinder. I delt with a similar issue, the clutch pedal would go to the floor and had no hydraulic pressure and trans would not shift. Turned out to be air in the slave cylinder. Bleeding it got me back on the road twice until I was able to change out the slave cylinder.