TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Bumper brackets
QRP Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:39 pm

Are all the bumper brackets from 71 & earlier the same and are they different from bug brackets 🤔 ( the body to bumper part )
New to the ghia thing and gonna start collecting all the pcs for a 68

Thanks Rick

c21darrel Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:30 pm

All the same for ghia and completely different from beetle

jeffrey8164 Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:23 pm

The Ghia front brackets are interchangeable left to right.
The rear brackets have a left and a right.

QRP Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks for the info 👍

CanadaGhiadude Fri May 29, 2020 9:34 pm

jeffrey8164 wrote: The Ghia front brackets are interchangeable left to right.
The rear brackets have a left and a right.

This quote is NOT correct. The two front bumper brackets are specific left and right and not interchangeable

sputnick60 Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 am

CanadaGhiadude wrote: jeffrey8164 wrote: The Ghia front brackets are interchangeable left to right.
The rear brackets have a left and a right.

This quote is NOT correct. The two front bumper brackets are specific left and right and not interchangeable
Sorry, but not right either.
The parts book has 141 707 135C two per car at the front but at the rear bumper a different story. Those are different per side 141 707 335A left and 141 707 335B left.

The fatchick bumpers have a similar thing. Front symmetrical therefore interchangeable, rear asymmetrical therefore not.
Nicholas

Sofia74 Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Does this bumper bracket info apply to 1974? Or are you guys only talking about earlier cars? I'm looking at some front and rear brackets for sale for my 74 coupe. They say they are for 73-74 and interchangeable between right and left for both front and rear. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

sputnick60 Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:35 am

Sofia74 wrote: Does this bumper bracket info apply to 1974? Or are you guys only talking about earlier cars? I'm looking at some front and rear brackets for sale for my 74 coupe. They say they are for 73-74 and interchangeable between right and left for both front and rear. Does that make sense?

Thanks.
I referred to Fatchick bumpers in a vulgar reference the later bumper style. 72 to 74. The parts book says the front supports on the later cars can go on either side but the rear bumpers have somthing specific that makes a left support bracket and a right support bracket. Probably there are holes for something on the bracket that means you just can't flip them over and that's why two part numbers.

Probably needs comment from a 72 and later Ghia owner

Nicholas

runamoc Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:13 am

Quote: left support bracket and a right support bracket.
The rear has a 'hold-down' loop attached to the bracket. The front 'hold-down' loop is attached to the front end. Might be able to hacksaw it off or something. I made my own brackets for my '72 so I could mount earlier model bumpers because I also think the fat chic bumpers are not very, umm, appealing.


Sofia74 Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:00 pm

Quote: The parts book says the front supports on the later cars can go on either side but the rear bumpers have somthing specific that makes a left support bracket and a right support bracket.

I just checked my Parts Book and sure enough there are two rear brackets - right and left. But my Parts Book is dated 1972. I've found it to be very accurate for my 1974 coupe but is it possible this is an exception?

Quote: The rear has a 'hold-down' loop attached to the bracket. The front 'hold-down' loop is attached to the front end. Might be able to hacksaw it off or something.

Perhaps the difference is the "hold down loop"? I know I have one or more on my brackets but I can't look at them right now to confirm.

And then there is this from CIP1:

Quote: VWC-141-707-335-B - (141707335B) EXCELLENT QUALITY FROM GERMANY - BLACK POWER COATED - REAR BUMPER BRACKET - FIT LEFT OR RIGHT SIDE - KARMANN GHIA 72-74 - SOLD EACH

I don't see a loop in the photo so perhaps absent the loop(s) they may be the same...?

Redlabel6 Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:53 pm

Here are the stock rear brackets on my '73.
Left side with Loop, or Tow Point



Right side without



Other than the tow point they are identical. The front brackets are identical.

David

Sofia74 Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:32 pm

Good to know. Think the same is true about the rear brackets?

Thanks.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group