TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seat padding question (and some pics of what I’m doing)
sloans265 Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:35 am

I’m reupholstered the front seats in my 70 Panel. During disassembly I found one of these pads to be in bad shape and the other one MIA with the exception of a few chunks. So obviously my question is what do people do when this is the case? Should I go to the local upholstery shop and buy a block of that style foam and shape it? Any input as to what you find works best would be appreciated!

Also while I’m on here I figured I’d share some pics of what I’m doing. 70 Lotus White Panel with a camper interior that simulates :? how Westfalia may have done one. 1/8 “ Baltic Birch panel with 1/4” Baltic panel used for headbanger and Z bed. I’m installing a new original style headliner in cab area this week and after that will be able to finish installing roof panels and trim.
Seats and door panels will be original Beige color with late brown plaid Westfalia offered.

alaskadan Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 am

A strip of 1/2" scrim backed foam glued on there will work. Put the scrim side out as it will fair better against rubbing from the vinyl. Looks like the flat upper perimeter bolsters on your seats are slightly bent downward, thats common. I would tweak them back up a bit before reupholstering. Its usually the outer corners that are bent down from getting in and out. Some here have gone so far as to get some coil springs from an upholstery shop and put them under the corners to give them extra support.

SGKent Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:18 pm

on the one that is left, maybe spray both sides with 3M contact glue then glue some fiberglass screen strips to it with the same, then coat it with liquid neoprene. You might be able to glue it together then cut it off carefully and have someone make a mold to pour new ones. Ray Greenwood might know about how to do that.