TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sexy spam from thesamba
elizer Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:38 am

Is Everett starting to pimp girls with classified ads? :D
Looks like some members had their emails hacked.
Anyways probably will be disabling my emails from here.

Mark Evans Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:42 am

Yup, I've received over 100 as of this morning and have forwarded a few to Everett. Was unfortunate, because at first, I thought my sales were up!

Glenn Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:13 am

harrymarlin Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:35 am

All of the sexy e-mails I received were not sent by registered users, so I don't think it was a hack - just an intrinsic weakness in the system. However, it *should* be one that is hard to exploit on a large scale (but what do I know about security?)

Glenn Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am

harrymarlin wrote: All of the sexy e-mails I received were not sent by registered users, so I don't think it was a hack
Correct

I blacklisted *@gmx.com

TDCTDI Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:46 am

The email addresses all seem to be different also. Thanks to the notification system, it doesn't seem that they have personal email addresses.

62DoKaGuy Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:06 am

I got one too from "Danielle" using [email protected]. I don't use Skype anymore, so count me out.

elizer Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:12 am

Ya I checked and I had my emails disabled. So thesamba's notification system worked well in this instance.

Are we sure this isn't everett's valentines gift to the members?

60ragtop Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:12 am

Already a thread on fake/spam e mails

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

LHG Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:25 am

Clean up needed on Aisle 7!

EverettB Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:31 am

Arggggg, massive spam this morning.

Nothing is hacked, this is normal spam that the site usually blocks but as someone above said, they used a TON of different emails so a lot got through the site.

I am blocking it all now.

This is the downside of allowing users that are not logged in to contact sellers.
I was hoping I didn't have to change that but if it becomes an issue like this, I may have to do it.

hazetguy Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks for dealing with this Everett! I rarely visit this site. my regular profile, my photos and videos are here I <3 Glenn

APPLEGREENVW Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:32 pm

EverettB wrote: Arggggg, massive spam this morning.

Nothing is hacked, this is normal spam that the site usually blocks but as someone above said, they used a TON of different emails so a lot got through the site.

This is the downside of allowing users that are not logged in to contact sellers.
I was hoping I didn't have to change that but if it becomes an issue like this, I may have to do it.
Thanks for fixing this issue. You got my vote,if you want to change it, to be logged in to contact sellers.

Gr0unded Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 pm

EverettB wrote: Arggggg, massive spam this morning.

Received some spam mail recently as well. Thanks for taking care of applying filters.

heimlich Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Everett,

If you are going to disable folks from contacting users unless logged in maybe you can have an option I can set so that I can allow it?

You can also block any messages that come though with that site in the text of the message.

Just set up a regular expression to look for banned sites.

EverettB Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:29 pm

heimlich wrote: If you are going to disable folks from contacting users unless logged in maybe you can have an option I can set so that I can allow it?
This may be something I do in the future - allow people to switch "Allow only registered users to contact me" as an on/off switch.
There are already members who do not want to sell to anyone but registered users.
This would not stop registered users though as there are spammers who join the site first.

heimlich wrote: You can also block any messages that come though with that site in the text of the message.
Yes, this is how it works. Words and phrases are blocked, among other things.

Mark Evans Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:23 pm

It's been my experience that most unregistered users do not follow through with a purchase. To each his own preferences.

EverettB Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 pm

A few people have told me they got messages today.

These are not new messages, they are messages from Friday that were delayed along the way for some reason.

I have verified this with everyone who has contacted me.
The messages they got were sent through the site on Friday.

I'm posting this in case anyone is confused by this or think they got "new" messages.

Chickensoup Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Ya, I got 4 of these withing 20 minutes last week. Got my hopes up until I clicked on the email :(