TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Transmission straps? Any pictures of them installed? Page: 1, 2  Next
Sofia74 Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Reading about (including here on Samba) and am interested in transmission straps as perhaps a good idea with additional HP.

Does anyone have any photos installed? Very curious what they look like when installed.

Any opinions on them or the heavy-duty rear transmission mount?

Thanks,
Matt

TDCTDI Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 pm

TDCTDI wrote: Over the last 30,000 miles, the transmission has gone from a whir to a whine to a howl to a roar until the middle of this last week to sounding like a cement mixer when I release the clutch in neutral. :shock: It was so loud that it was deafening, even with ear plugs in. Knowing that it’s a main shaft bearing going bad & that since the transmission works great otherwise, I decided that it was time to yank it & toss another in its place until I get around to rebuilding it.

So, starting around 10am, I pulled one out of my abandoned sand rail project.

And then proceeded to dismantle the Ghiapet. I removed the rear bumper (It’s got the engine cage attached to it.).

And then the engine...

I used an open wrench to loosen the clutch cable wing nut.

Then I removed the transmission straps.

While the engine was out, I drilled a couple of holes in the package shelf so I can install some frame horn braces.

Then, after removing “howler”, I swapped the drive flanges.

Why exactly did I unbolt those mounts?

Once that was done, I installed the replacement trans & for the sake of experimentation, I cut a section of reinforced hose to make some pads to see if I could quiet down the solid mounts.

Then I employed some more of my bicycle inner tube for the upper strap.

As to be expected, I ran into the pitfalls one would expect, the replacement transmission had the different throw out arm, A-HA, that parts car still has a throw out bearing! Dammit, now I need a different pressure plate. Gee, I wouldn’t have left that outside had I known that I would need it. Then all the work needed to get the shift coupler off the transmission has caused the shifter bushing to fall apart, now the Bugpack shifter won’t engage reverse... back in with the original, sweet, we have reverse again.

The drive home was soooo much quieter. \:D/ I’m not sure how much was the transmission or how much the pads helped but the beast is much more civilized now, I even tried driving without my ear plugs in, sadly, after getting used to wearing earplugs, the rest of the car rattles enough to be comfortable, oh well.

The gear ratios are in the replacement transmission are much taller, the engine isn’t revving as high, this should help with mileage a bit.

All said, I wish I did this 30,000 miles ago. :?

TDCTDI wrote: Speaking of making more work for myself...

I decided to toss the Pet back on the lift & finish fitting the torsion housing truss.

After getting it fitted, I cleaned it up...

And began laying a bead on it.

Ah, what the hell, while it's up, it's a great time to fit the skid plate that I got several months ago.

And now the Ghiapet has some underpants.

Glenn Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:42 pm

I had one years ago.... they're not very good.

Good quality mounts are usually enough but if you need more. a transmission middle mount is best. I have a Berg.

TDCTDI Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm

GET THE PADDED ONES!

didget69 Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 pm

My current build is going to use this style mount (using stock style VW bellhousing mounts) along with a padded strap -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/734848.jpg

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4785

Looking to use the CB Performance Rhino Mounts -

bryan

TDCTDI Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:12 pm

didget69 wrote: My current build is going to use this style mount (using stock style VW bellhousing mounts) along with a padded strap -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/734848.jpg

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4785

Looking to use the CB Performance Rhino Mounts -

bryan

No need for Rhino mounts once the straps are in, you could remove the front mount altogether & you wouldn't notice that it was missing.

Sofia74 Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 pm

A couple follow on questions from OP.

I purchased the front transmission support in the first picture below but I'm not really sure how it is going to work. The top strap comes down inside the horns. The lower piece cradles the horns but I don't see how it is locked into the horns. It has outboard bolt holes but what are those attached to? The upper piece has some indentations that are hard to see in the photo that gives me some clues as to how it fits but how should it be oriented? The larger problem is the seller does not have instructions. They directed me to Samba for assistance.

The support pictured below seems to me to be more effective. Is this better? Should I have bought this one?

I also bought the rear transmission strap. I've see others are using this. My question here is what are those cylindrical things? Spacers? I can make some guesses of course... but again no instructions from seller....

jeffrey8164 Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Sofia74 wrote: Reading about (including here on Samba) and am interested in transmission straps as perhaps a good idea with additional HP.

Does anyone have any photos installed? Very curious what they look like when installed.

Any opinions on them or the heavy-duty rear transmission mount?

Thanks,
Matt

These were “thought up” for the dune buggy crowd that kept breaking things. The racing crowd used welded solid mounts and truss bars or tube frames.
How much additional hp?
How much do intend to pound on it?

For the most part, on the street doing the occasional thing, the main concerns are nose cone breakage and wheel hop.
You’re better off with some Rhino Mounts from CB Performance, a mid mount and a Käfer bar.

Sofia74 Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Quote: These were “thought up” for the dune buggy crowd that kept breaking things. The racing crowd used welded solid mounts and truss bars or tube frames.
How much additional hp?
How much do intend to pound on it?

For the most part, on the street doing the occasional thing, the main concerns are nose cone breakage and wheel hop.
You’re better off with some Rhino Mounts from CB Performance, a mid mount and a Käfer bar.

Yeah…. This is what you get when a restoration takes a while - an overabundance of good ideas. And I have a tendency to overbuild things. I am planning about 100 – 110 HP on a car that had what, 46 HP originally? (1974 KG Coupe) Driving plans include just cruising, no racing plans at all. Some spirited driving but no pounding.

I saw the straps as a way of preventing potential problem down the line. I have so far bought stock rubber front and rear mounts and as I said straps to prevent issues. I’ll have to look into the mid-mount and Kafer bar. But I also don’t want to overthink a car I won’t be racing.

jeffrey8164 Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Since you already have your mounts and things and based on your driving style, at a minimum, I would get a “traction bar” from Berg and a mid mount.

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=353&products_id=1087
The Berg bar gets in the way of Sidewinder style exhausts so be aware of that.

https://www.appletreeauto.com/TRANSMISSION-SUPPORT...gJxAvD_BwE
You can get fancier finishes for more money of course.

That being said, I did thrash a 1915 in a ‘71 Ghia for years. I did a lot of stoplight to stoplight and a lot of burnouts and donuts on a stock tranny with no straps or reinforcements of any kind. Unless, you count all the fiberglass I poured on the rotten floors. :?

I beefed it up this time as I went from 90hp or so to 150hp or so I hope. I doubt it’ll ever see a Dyno unless one pops up at an event somewhere, sometime.

kiwighia68 Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Sofia74 wrote: A couple follow on questions from OP.

I purchased the front transmission support in the first picture below but I'm not really sure how it is going to work. The top strap comes down inside the horns. The lower piece cradles the horns but I don't see how it is locked into the horns. It has outboard bolt holes but what are those attached to? The upper piece has some indentations that are hard to see in the photo that gives me some clues as to how it fits but how should it be oriented? The larger problem is the seller does not have instructions. They directed me to Samba for assistance.

I'm interested in a strap like this to help me make my '68 Ghia quieter. Will it help?

With a month in compulsory isolation (here in New Zealand) and nothing to spend my money on, I'm looking for small and easy jobs I can do on my car.

jeffrey8164 Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:54 pm

As far as I know, there is nothing on earth that will make a Ghia quieter no matter the year.

Maybe an electric motor?

Sofia74 Sat May 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Revisiting a previous post of mine. I am still stuck with this transmission strap. Previous pictures helped. I see where it is routed across the top but I do not see how it fits around the bottom of the transmission.

I wanted to figure this out before installing the transmission so I wouldn’t have to undo anything. But should I just install and perhaps the solution will present itself?

And what are these things?

John Ghia Sat May 30, 2020 5:27 pm

Those are held in place by the large bolt after the mount plate. The strap goes around them and the bell housing.

Sofia74 Sun May 31, 2020 11:41 am

Quote: Those are held in place by the large bolt after the mount plate. The strap goes around them and the bell housing.

I still am not seeing how this goes together. I've compared the orientation of the bracket and the mounts to the KG Parts Book. Looks right. Pretty sure I have the right mounts (113 301 263 C) if the label is correct. They are marked "R" and "L" so i think have them oriented correctly as well.

But those strap "barrels" do not fit into the space where I think they should. They bump up against the triangular brace as seen in the second picture.

Does this picture look right? I am probably missing something obvious. The bolts and bracket are original. Did i buy the wrong mounts maybe? Or the wrong strap for the car?

Seems to me the "barrels" would fit on a solid transmission mount that eliminates the large rubber pieces. But the description of the part (link below) says it fits a 1974 KG with stock rubber mounts.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/9532.html

As always all suggestion are appreciated.

John Ghia Sun May 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Modify the barrels or use an earlier rear mount plate, if they fit.

Sofia74 Sun May 31, 2020 1:43 pm

Huh. So I have assembled the pieces correctly? I just took a look at the fit again. I think to modify the barrels I'd have to remove too much metal.

I'll look into different mounting plates. I don't think I want to go to solid mounts. Perhaps I just leave it off.

Disappointed though. EMPI brand clearly stating it would fit my year car...

Thanks for your help.

rbsurfguy Sun May 31, 2020 5:04 pm

I'll post some pics of mine Matt tonight or tomorrow, I thought you snapped some of mine when you visited. I can't find those barrels over the bolts on mine, maybe my guy didn't use them.
Will get those pics soon.
Jeff

rbsurfguy Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:21 am

Matt, to follow up, here are pics of how mine are mounted, if these help. If you need to see something more specific, let me know. I think I have the same setup you are talking about.

I don't have those large spacers you are showing, the only spacers i can see are on the front straps over the horns, not sure if these are the same as you have.

Jeff

Peter D. Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:20 am

Hmmm... do I need one of these? My motor is 1776.