TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: gimme some dash ideas
BFB Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:27 pm

like the title says, looking for some rail buggy dash ideas. id appreciate if yall could post some pics.
not looking for anything crazy, im building the wife's buggy and need to show her some pics.
thanks!

Matt Wilson Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:38 pm

One thing I saw that seems like a good idea is there are pre-wired little switch boxes, perfect for buggies.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/5...0IQAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/electrical-switch-panels?ibanner=SREPD1

Cody Loren Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Matt Wilson Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Plan on any night driving? I'd like to find some illuminated switches, so that you can actually see your switches in the dark like a new car.

Bama Dave Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:35 pm

Cody Loren wrote:

That’s really nice! =D> =D>

Dale M. Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:02 pm

This is what I did on really butchered FG buggy dash... In open buggy you could probably so something similar if you had a "pod" of some sort behind it to hide the jungle...

Dale

jimmyhoffa Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Ooooh now ya done it. You asked me about my dash. The dash that I spent waaaay too long on, and could easily have done with something much simpler.

CNC laser cut SS sub-plates

Anodized and assembled!

Wires routed nearly inside, HDPE insulation liner I stuffed in too for extra security.

Rebel Wire Bug deluxe harness, very nice, all USA parts/labor

In retrospect I would have designed it more like Cody's. This car is road legal and gets me to work sometimes so I wanted a more informative dash with all the amenities, which is why I put so much into it. The pod dash above is also a trusty classic, the Chenowth dash that was an option in their catalog for my car looked a lot like that. My car was made in 74, almost 15 years before I was born, but I was lucky enough to find a catalog!

Matt Wilson Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 am

Any luck with your speedometer? I tried the magnet pickup style with the ring on the CV. Never worked right for me.

Dale M. Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:14 am

If you have electronic speedo and magnetic or optical PU does not work for you you may want to look at GPS sender...

Dale

BFB Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:02 pm

yeh, i was really wanting to go with gps speedo

mr_bill Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:07 pm

jimmyhoffa Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:04 pm

The gps speedo, at least from VDO, is hilariously unreliable. Every once in a while I know how fast I'm going, then it loses satellite comm. and freezes until it gets a few satellites again. That's what I get for trusting The Man and his elaborate network of spy/speedometer satellites. It did seem... too easy. Too good to be true.

I'm switching to a mag pickup soon, hopefully that works. I have an oscilloscope and function generator at the ready and am 100% convinced I can figure out what this speedo wants and feed it that signal. A long while ago I made a simple powered square wave converter that made the sine wave from a normal variable reluctance pickup into a clean 0 to +5V square wave, which if the VDO won't take that then it's free to whoever wants it. :P

cbeck Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Cody's looks fast even when it's not moving.