TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pop Out Window Conversion
msksoccer Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:31 pm

I want to install rear quarter pop out windows in my 56. Is it possible to buy the hinge, frame and gasket to use my existing glass? I hate to give up my OEM Glass in this process.

Volksvr6gti Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Your stock glass vs pop out glass are not the same size due to the design differences. You would have to drill your glass for the pop out and also. Grind down all the sides which is not too feasible since it’s tempered. May be best just to use the glass in the kit, save your original glass in case you sell the car and the buyer doesn’t want pop outs, then they can have the option to reinstall the stock feature.

Another option if you are just wanting oem glass is to do your best to find oem pop outs with stock glass... you won’t only be hard pressed to find a set, but your wallet will take a nice hit too....not too sure if this option will be of much worth

RareAir Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm

Volksvr6gti wrote: Your stock glass vs pop out glass are not the same size due to the design differences. You would have to drill your glass for the pop out and also. Grind down all the sides which is not too feasible since it’s tempered. May be best just to use the glass in the kit, save your original glass in case you sell the car and the buyer doesn’t want pop outs, then they can have the option to reinstall the stock feature.

What??? Either you’ve never seen and installed Pre ‘64 popouts and/or have no idea what you’re talking about. Is there some modern kit that requires “drill your glass” to fit?

RareAir Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:27 pm

msksoccer wrote: I want to install rear quarter pop out windows in my 56. Is it possible to buy the hinge, frame and gasket to use my existing glass? I hate to give up my OEM Glass in this process.

No, you can not use standard stationary glass for use on a popout Aluminum frame. Stationary glass is larger size compared to a popout glass

RareAir Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:28 pm

Do some price comparisons. Originals come up 4-sale quite a bit in the $200-400 range

Volksvr6gti Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:48 pm

Lol woa my bad must have hit the nerve lol.
I was thinking of the later pop outs. But either way brother your stock glass won’t fit into the after market pop out kits as the glass is not the same size. Prob best to utilize the glass in the kits and save your oem windows for the day you sell the beetle and pass them along with the sale.

Ok now go get a beer and relax it’s the weekend

msksoccer Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks for the information... apprecaited.
suggestions on a good kit to purchase? I see several options for the later models not so much for the early ovals.. JBugs has a kit for $475 or so... OUCH

Miklo Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:29 am

Find some originals... try and avoid anything aftermarket if possible.

Aftermarket is usually junkola.

Bub Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 am

I just put a pair of pop-out in my 54' last week. There's at least ONE set in the classifieds- looks like from Brazil or somewhere down south; the price was about $200 + shipping...$320'ish total which is average.
Here's a pair of good German ones, you could add latches to and not be too expensive (I have a pair of the aftermarket latches; they're okay for the most part, but made cheap. The knobs are junk.):
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2357145

One disclaimer is I think the quality of even the original Brazilian windows is NOT as good as German. I've had a few sets of popouts in early bugs and never had problems fitting them- until this set. The seals were a TOTAL BITCH to get into the frames. I can only attribute it to the build of the frames.

CIP is having a sale (they're always having a sale)- and here's a couple options too:
$450 for these
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D898%2D400%2DA

Some cheaper ones, with a disclaimer:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D898%2D400%2DAC

ZENVWDRIVER Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:48 am

msksoccer wrote: I want to install rear quarter pop out windows in my 56. Is it possible to buy the hinge, frame and gasket to use my existing glass? I hate to give up my OEM Glass in this process.

just keep the original glass somewhere safe and install the pop-outs - will be a great move - nothing like the great air-flow... if you ever sell the car, reinstall the original glass and put the pop-outs in your new car... the glass is a different size

Bug-nut Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 pm

DON’T buy the pop out window set from Koch’s. I did and they were absolute garbage. Sent them back in a hurry and located an original VW set and cleaned them up and installed new seals; couldn’t be happier!