TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Little Red 'Syncro' Caravelle Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:19 pm

Hello

Been a member for quite a while but not posted before, I thought I would share this project I am currently working on.......I also have this thread running on Club 8090 in the UK.

I picked up this Syncro Caravelle GL back in October last year from a guy a few villages away. I went to collect a part I bought off fleabay and walked away with a Syncro Caravelle :shock: He had found a Pinzgauer he really wanted so he was keen to sell. Its a 1991 2.1MV in LY3D Tornado Red and although its not my colour I just couldn't say no as its such a tidy van!

I was already aware of the van as he has bought a few bits from me over the years too. I was surprised he was up for selling it as I know he spent a lot of time and cash on it and it was going to be his forever van.

This is a a photo of the van from when he bought it about 5/6 years ago....

and a photo of it when I bought it minus the spotlights & the roof rack

As you can see a lot has been done by the previous owner including......

Full respray, all windows removed
New windows rubbers & chrome trim all round
New front windscreen & heated rear windscreen
Rust free tailgate & new ladder
Wax oiled underneath
Drive shaft protector and engine carrier treated
Reconditioned 2.1 engine fitted
New VW front spoiler
New stainless steel water pipes
New stainless Rock Slider Bars
New rear Hella lights
New Brickwerks front & rear bumpers
New Burley Motorsport rear wheel carrier
New 16” Mefro wheels & BF Goodrich tyres
New Speed Shop stainless exhaust.

He was the second UK owner of the van. Apparently it was a VW demo vehicle in Germany and I'm currently hunting down more info about this. As such it has lots of nice factory additions, ABS, heated drivers seat, leccy windows & mirrors, Webasto water heater.

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 pm

....a few photos of some of the works completed

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:24 pm

So the plan is to take it back to stock, I'm using this image from the Wolfsburg museum as inspiration....

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:27 pm

The previous owner had planned on converting it to a Westfalia style camper with a 2.5 scooby engine and I got it just in time before any of the major work had begun :D

It came with a full westy interior from a California, luckily it had all just been slotted in place and not permanently fixed so the the headlining and panels are all fine. Westy interior now sold.

It also came with its original Caravelle interior and 14" Syncro wheels so I am currently putting these back :D

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:55 pm

.....starting to look like a stock Velle again.........

The previous owner fitted the Burley Motorsport wheel carrier, for now the spare is back in its rightful place, saves garage space and still has its original vinyl wheel cover too.

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:56 pm

Van out and ready to get the work done over the next few weeks.....

To Do List done

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:56 pm

now back on its original 14" Syncro wheels.....

before....

after....

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Well its been a good weekend working on the van, Central locking fixed and working on all doors now, electric mirrors and windows also working well again.

Drivers window worked but was so slow. It was fiddly getting the motor and regulator out....

Drivers side cleaned up well, the excellent Van-Again video was a great help. Now working really well :D

Passenger side was completely seized I had to remove the motor and then use a screwdriver to lower the window enough to access the bolts to remove it. Years of gunk....

Both doors all cleaned up, wiring back in place and new outer scrapers and window seals, ready for a new vapour barrier. New window switches ordered as the current ones are all a bit hit & miss.

irishkeet Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:59 pm

...good few days on the van, chrome bumpers finally fitted front & rear, it took a while to source a rear chrome bumper, it came on an old van I bought last month, its not perfect but it cleaned up well. :D

The blower was dead so its was time to replace it and have a good clean up....

no major surprises, a small amount of add-on wiring to remove but otherwise all good

a very small amount of surface rust which was cleaned and treated, very tidy which is great to know

Dash cleaned up lovely too

Nearly there, centre panel is left off so I can have a play with the diffs and test everything before refitting....

dhaavers Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:48 am

Right proper work & a great project...keep on it! :popcorn:

- Dave

4Gears4Tires Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:16 am

It looked so good before.... lol.

I noticed you took off the rock sliders, do you mind posting pictures of them and how they were attached?

irishkeet Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:05 am

dhaavers wrote: Right proper work & a great project...keep on it! :popcorn:

- Dave

Cheers Dave 8)

4Gears4Tires wrote: It looked so good before.... lol.

I noticed you took off the rock sliders, do you mind posting pictures of them and how they were attached?

It did look good but stock felt right. Here is my 8090 thread for my Escorial Green Caravelle-Westy called Mushy
:van_green: https://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141925 :van_green:

Sorry the sliders have been sold and no photos but they fitted in the jacking points.

Here is a couple of photos of the sliders on my green van, hope this helps

4Gears4Tires Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:23 am

That's what I assumed, thanks!

valvecovergasket Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:57 am

looked amazing to start with! haha

cant wait to see the finished product, its gonna to be showroom fresh...

Zeitgeist 13 Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:16 am

Way to save it just in time from...you know who

ALIKA T3 Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:06 am

Wow really clean Syncro you got here :)
I love all the detailed work,very thorough !

A couple questions: is the battery tray next to the ECU a VW stock option?
Is the Syncro badge on the rear door in a stock location? I have never seen one so high?

You should put a black T3 door lock actuator in your driver’s door now, I’m not sure you will like the non stock noise they do :lol:

irishkeet Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:46 am

ALIKA T3 wrote: Wow really clean Syncro you got here :)
I love all the detailed work,very thorough !

A couple questions: is the battery tray next to the ECU a VW stock option?
Is the Syncro badge on the rear door in a stock location? I have never seen one so high?

You should put a black T3 door lock actuator in your driver’s door now, I’m not sure you will like the non stock noise they do :lol:

cheers, much appreciated 8)

Yes battery tray is stock and has secondary wiring running to it. Bedge move is on the todo list lol

Actually they are pretty good, both were stripped cleaned and greased 8)

irishkeet Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:47 am

All ready for this weekends jobs, speedo not working, drive not turning with wheels, front & rear diffs not engaging, engine oil & filters, rocker cover gaskets....but to name a few.... :mrgreen:

irishkeet Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:48 am

Front diff out yesterday, been painted red at some point in the past......took ages, you can see why from the state of the mounts, will be fitting new mounts when it goes back in.

I now know why the front diff has not been working :shock: but at least the actuator is all good. I have spent ages trying to get the speedo drive out with no joy. Roll pin is out and I can get it to turn but its very stiff, Im considering taking the nose off to access it from inside.

irishkeet Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:20 pm

Yesterday was most spent (on & off) working the pin which is moving pretty well now and its cleaned up well. Its not at the stage where the spring is pushing it out on it own but not too far away either. (fingers crossed)

I hoping the sleeve will clean up enough to allow a decent circlip groove to be made, if not Ill have to remove it all, found a good photo which helps to make sense of it all laid out

Sealant ordered for resealing the nose as it will have to be removed to get the speedo out.