TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1959 "patina" build
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 pm

This Ghia popped up here on samba around the beginning of April for a very fair price or trade for a running and driving bug, I just happen have a 1970 bug that I was using as my daily driver for the last year and it was a had never let me down as I went through the mechanics 100 percent making it a dialed driver. He was interested in my bug so I made the 30 hour drive to Norcal to pick up this Ghia and bring it home with me to Phoenix. Now before you say who would trade a lowlight Ghia for a 1970 bug? The person who cares more about the Vw passion and people than the almighty dollar that ultimately runs today's society.

This is a 1959 ghia that has been sitting in a field in northern calfornia since at least 1976. over the years it seems to have had the windows broken out, tail lights and front bullets lenses and chrome rings taken or broken. The dash is all cut up unfortunately and correct steering wheel is missing and dash items there seized up.

It is rusty the pans and seat tracks are toast and will need replaced. The rockers are actually not bad other than mudwasp nests in the front inner fender wells rusted from inside out pretty bad. I will be pulling the body off the pan to install new halfs at some point I will have to post all the rust pictures later.

So far in the few weeks ive had it ive found some good og tail lights and both front bullets lenses and retaining rings. Popped out the big dent on the side thanks to my buddy installed 4 solid trim rings and now can stare at it for the next few months while I gather more parts. I will update this as often as I can but for almost daily updates check out my instagram @deluxelowlightghia

As found

On the trailer

Off in the driveway with new friends

Now at my shop

Hanging with my 57

And my 61 DD panel

udo dreisoerner Fri May 15, 2020 12:15 am

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh, lowlight

PeteSC Fri May 15, 2020 5:07 am

Very nice! Look forward to following along.

c21darrel Fri May 15, 2020 11:10 am

Nice trade!! You both got what you wanted. I drove a bone stock 71 for a daily a few years ago. Late models are nice drivers.

calexican Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 am

This is great! I saw you over on IG and have been following you here too. My car was in very similar shape, had been sitting since 1977, well at least that was when it was last registered... Iím pretty sure the po used the car as a farm vehicle...

Marcdeb Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 am

Nice find! =D>
For sitting out in a field for 45 years, this looks very good.. Not many cars like this left to be discovered.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia Sat May 30, 2020 10:03 am

Heres some rust photos
Inner front fenders had mud wasp nests on both sides rusted from the inside out

lower right rear quarter is totally rusted out

but the battery tray is near perfect

Total bummer the dash is hacked up

I had to cut the remaining seat part out of the ghia to try and save the seat tracks with no luck as they are to rusty (I forgot the pic)

I parted out a 59 about 10 years ago and have been saving these seats since

I also changed out the front grills for the correct style

For sitting out for the last 40+ years with no windows its not that bad I have seen worse

jeffrey8164 Sat May 30, 2020 10:32 am

So now what?

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:14 am

jeffrey8164 wrote: So now what?

I am hoping to order the new pans soon and then pull the body off to restore the pan

udo dreisoerner Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:23 am

lowlights are fantastic

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:39 pm

I would trade this 59 for a 60-62 patina ghia coupe or vert project

Lowlights are fantastic but ive never had a later early ghia