TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1960 Double Cab Dove Blue Build Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
German Krew Mon May 18, 2020 10:41 am

I'm two and half weeks behind on posting this build but I am super excited to bust my gun on this covid-19 1960 Dove blue double cab build. Here to start are the photos from my buddies barn/shed find :lol:

German Krew Mon May 18, 2020 10:55 am

Here are some of the fun in builds finding all the droppings and nuts you can plus seeing some of the og marks and stuff they did at the factory. The back seat section before the clean out it was super fun with a 60's original orange flea bitten carpet in it. :x

aa390392 Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am

You have plans I hope. We'll be watching.
Thomas

German Krew Mon May 18, 2020 12:05 pm

aa390392 wrote: You have plans I hope. We'll be watching.
Thomas

Yes keeping the patina but replacing all the rust and lowering and adding some power in the rear.

aa390392 Mon May 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Can you make it, so one can switch it back if so desired? :oops: :lol: 8)

German Krew Mon May 18, 2020 1:30 pm

aa390392 wrote: Can you make it, so one can switch it back if so desired? :oops: :lol: 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes I am lowering it with all bolt ons.

SamboSamba22 Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 pm

The best way to find them brotha! 8)

Congrats and good luck, share with us what you do.

Sam

German Krew Mon May 18, 2020 2:00 pm

SamboSamba22 wrote: The best way to find them brotha! 8)

Sam

Yep thanks I got very lucky and my buddy John came through on this one.

mandraks Mon May 18, 2020 2:02 pm

high hinge crewcab, does not get much better than that.

crukab Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 pm

German Krew wrote: SamboSamba22 wrote: The best way to find them brotha! 8)

Sam

Very Cool find !!
What's the storey on it ?? Was it found in Texas ?? Just a- saw it driving buy- or stalked it for a few years ??? Looks like they tried to keep it closed up, but the mice/rats got in any way.

German Krew Mon May 18, 2020 8:49 pm

crukab wrote: German Krew wrote: SamboSamba22 wrote: The best way to find them brotha! 8)

Sam

Very Cool find !!
What's the storey on it ?? Was it found in Texas ?? Just a- saw it driving buy- or stalked it for a few years ??? Looks like they tried to keep it closed up, but the mice/rats got in any way.

Thanks but not much of a cool story for this cab. My buddy got a text from a stranger saying he had some VW cars to look at and after the non excitement of the cars he made mention of a truck so that's when my friend bought them all just to get the truck. It was out of a little city of Gainesville Texas.

German Krew Mon May 18, 2020 9:03 pm

Messing around with lacquer thinner and 3M scotch pads working the primer junk off.

Here are the before:

And here are the after:

Braukuche Tue May 19, 2020 7:22 am

Not much left after you do the metal work. I'd paint it.

German Krew Tue May 19, 2020 8:15 am

I do plan on shooting it and trying to blend the paint in certain sections where I do all the replacement metal. I have a friend that owns a detail shop he does amazing work and brings paint back to its original life I want to keep as much original paint as I can.

scottvw Tue May 19, 2020 8:30 am

If you have urine odor from rodents, go to Petsmart and get Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer. It works like magic.

ZENVWDRIVER Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 am

this was our '60 DC - dove blue also - just needed a gate and some glass - the roof was already lowered - has a unique-look - best $250, we ever spent.

ronjonlasvegas Tue May 19, 2020 10:01 am

German Krew wrote: I'm two and half weeks behind on posting this build but I am super excited to bust my gun on this covid-19 1960 Dove blue double cab build. Here to start are the photos from my buddies barn/shed find :lol:

Congrats on your new purchase, double cabs are the best. I own a 1960 double cab. Post up a picture of the M-code plate I am curious as to the build date of yours.

Sinklar Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 am

Looks a lot like mine did when it was found.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544473&highlight=

Have fun with the build I will be watching.

German Krew Tue May 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Sinklar wrote: Looks a lot like mine did when it was found.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544473&highlight=

Have fun with the build I will be watching.

Yes it does but yours seems a lot nicer underneath.

German Krew Tue May 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Fun with rust then off to media blasting then a coat of primer.

This is so fun to do and not physically exhausting! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Off to media blasting.