TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
HMVWNAB Tue May 19, 2020 5:53 pm

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-ma...ollapsing/

67 Florida Deluxe Tue May 19, 2020 6:04 pm

I always check and double check the catch on my jack stands to ensure the catch is as snug as can be. They didn't come from HF, but it doesn't matter. Don't trust the catch to simply fall into place as designed as you lift the Y holder, as the catch may stick and not fully engage.

Erik G Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 am

I checked, sure enough they are the ones I've been using for years. they also look like every other jack stands I've seen from Northern tools, Home Depot, etc. I'm sure the same company in china makes all of them.

pawn shop hunting for jack stands this weekend. old stuff that won't break...

cdennisg Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 am

Mine are way older than that, so likely unaffected. I don't even think there is a sticker on them anymore.

mark tucker Wed May 20, 2020 8:30 am

Ive had many stands with defective latches....

mark tucker Wed May 20, 2020 8:33 am

so who has jack stands that still have the label??? :? a readable label

cdennisg Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am

mark tucker wrote: so who has jack stands that still have the label??? :? a readable label

Yep. Notice that the jack stands recalled are all pretty recent manufacture. labels take a few years to get scraped off with occasional abuse.

Erik G Wed May 20, 2020 11:58 am

Mine are at least 4 years old maybe 6 or 7. stickers holding strong somehow, and they have been used/abused on 7-8 cars

zozo Wed May 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Just checked mine, and of course they're the 61197 iteration. Always friggin' something.

Bobnotch Wed May 20, 2020 7:37 pm

zozo wrote: Just checked mine, and of course they're the 61197 iteration. Always friggin' something.

I just checked mine earlier today. I'm good to go.

Double-Double Thu May 21, 2020 12:10 am

Pretty sure mine have to go back. I may just finish what I need to do with them before I do. They are pretty much a backup anyways and I donít get underneath what I am working on.

sb001 Thu May 21, 2020 7:41 am

Wow- not sure how I escaped this recall, I just bought my 3 ton jack stands from HF last year, and they look exactly like the 3 ton stands in the link above, so I was sure they'd be the affected stands but my model # is 62392.
Good thing since I need the jack stands more than I need a HF gift card.

Blue69Baja Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 am

mark tucker wrote: so who has jack stands that still have the label??? :? a readable label

Hay Mark, were they of other MFG's or just HF?

I have many of different mfg... Some have the reliable pin but I sure do like the latch type... Need to check my HF ones...

Jim

Chad1376 Thu May 21, 2020 9:50 am

I'm signed up for the HF spam emails for coupons, etc, but there's no notification on this recall directly from HF in my inbox. This sure seems like a huge oversight by HF to directly contact their customers on this issue.

I'm pretty sure I have the grey jackstands - I need to go check.

Of course if I exchange the jackstands, I'll end up buying more cheap/crappy tools that I don't really need on my way out of the store.

sb001 Thu May 21, 2020 10:04 am

Chad1376 wrote: I'm signed up for the HF spam emails for coupons, etc, but there's no notification on this recall directly from HF in my inbox. This sure seems like a huge oversight by HF to directly contact their customers on this issue.

It's also not on their website that I saw. But the stands I bought are on clearance now :x

Blue69Baja Thu May 21, 2020 10:12 am

sb001 wrote: Chad1376 wrote: I'm signed up for the HF spam emails for coupons, etc, but there's no notification on this recall directly from HF in my inbox. This sure seems like a huge oversight by HF to directly contact their customers on this issue.

It's also not on their website that I saw. But the stands I bought are on clearance now :x

Now that is bad that they are even selling them unless they are not the same product...

I too get their email deals.. No notifications.

Jim

cdennisg Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am

Blue69Baja wrote: sb001 wrote: Chad1376 wrote: I'm signed up for the HF spam emails for coupons, etc, but there's no notification on this recall directly from HF in my inbox. This sure seems like a huge oversight by HF to directly contact their customers on this issue.

Now that is bad that they are even selling them unless they are not the same product...

I too get their email deals.. No notifications.

Jim

As I understand it, the current stock is not what is being recalled.

I also have not received any notification from HF, and would not have known about it if not for this thread.

Several years back they had a trailer tire recall that was widely known. Pretty sure I was notified directly by HF about that one.

kpf Thu May 21, 2020 12:07 pm

I have four of the 3-ton stands and I did notice that at least one of them has teeth that are machined in such a way that they don't grab well... I've never used that one.

I didn't receive an email either, but they do have it on their website:

https://www.harborfreight.com/customer-service-product-support.html#5
https://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/recalls/Jack-Stand-Recall-56371_61196_61197.pdf

Cusser Thu May 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Me. I store them in my garage, one still has perfectly-fine label.

I have orange 3-ton HF jack stands, maybe 10-15 years old but mine are #P38846.

Zundfolge1432 Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm

This is what you get for buying cheap chinese shit. :D