TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: This stuff REALLY works removing factory carpet cement
Nessal Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 pm

I just thought I'd share this with everyone. I'm going through a restoration at the moment and there is a bunch of carpet contact cement from the factory that needs to be removed. I found that pure orange peel oil makes quick work of it! I put it in a spray bottle and soak the area for 5 minutes and then scrap with a plastic blade. The cement comes off very easily like snot and leaves the paint completely unharmed. I even used it on sticker adhesive and it gets it off better than Goo Gone.

I used this stuff straight out of the bottle at 100% strength. I think you can dilute it based on some of the reviews. The best part of all, this smells exactly like oranges instead of chemicals like all of the other adhesive removers that I have tried. I posted below and after pics here. This was about 15 minutes of work. Hope this helps someone!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RQ3CBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BEFORE

AFTER

Fishynos72 Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 am

After reading this, and being at my local hardware chain; I thought I'd find a local version.

Here's the results. The red patches are free of the old fish glue.

3 coats soaked for half and hour, then hit with steel wool.

Going to need a lot of elbow work.
The main advantage is not being high from any chemicals while in the confine space.