TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Red '73 Ghia project, Red Philly steak
the dominator Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 am

After BBT-Bob made me fall in love with Karmann Ghia curves at the Klassisches VW Treffen in Japan, I have finally received my next project (or inbetween since there is some more projects on hold) He tried to convince me of a lowlight but find the late models more attractive.
(nothing to do with the fact I like red cars, even not having one up until now, and I am also from 1973 :D )

The subject has been a longtime hibernating projectcar from 1987 (JAN 1987 registration plates from Washington) until BBT acquired it in 2019 and transported it to Belgium. Now it has found it's new home in the Netherlands.

Since I want to make it a driver rather then a showcar I immediately transported it to the upholstry store for a new roof before the missis could complain about the original ducktaped roof.

And now it is in my workshop for some needed maintenance, all hydraulics and brakeparts have been replaced already, there is 2 small holes in passenger compartment under seatrails which need some donormaterial.

Since I am also replacing all cables I removed the pedal-assembly which also could use a good cleanup.

Only panels need replacing are the rearpanel left and right, bumpermount rear left, rearpanel and the plate behind the engine where the lock is mounted. The rustdevil did its work to destroy those panels over time. (or was is BBT who wanted me to acquire new panels at their shop? :roll: )

Engine is running and sounding strong after placing new battery and starter, now that I know that it is getting time to remove the engine so I can start on the panel replacement! To be continued.

Redlabel6 Wed May 27, 2020 6:31 am

Nice Car! I too have a '73, mine is a coupe.

Here is the link to my build; https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666792&start=0l

If I can help with questions, just let me know.

I love the wall mural in your garage!

David

bob1 Wed May 27, 2020 6:40 am

Always cool to see cars go to good new homes, that's the things that keep us going…

a lot of (building) fun with the car Marcel...

keep up the great work....

Bob, BBT

the dominator Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 am

Redlabel6 wrote:

I love the wall mural in your garage!

David

It’s work in progress from local artist, but he is almost there.
Great canvas for him, measuring 8 meters long and 2.5 meter high.

the dominator Thu May 28, 2020 5:30 am

Not that I don't fancy some scratches and bruises on a patina car, I found the overspray of brown paint around these scratches somewhat overdone.

So got me some oldschool cellulose Thinner and tried to get rid of the majority of brown paint. Which worked out okay for me

so cleaned the bootlid, am happy with the result so far these are acceptable battle scars!

the dominator Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:33 am

While cleaning out the interiour I found on both bottomhalves a one cent coin.
One from 1978 and one from 1981, so sadly not matching to the cars age
Are these some kind of lucky charm or just coincidence that I found one on both sides?

Trylon Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 am

the dominator wrote: While cleaning out the interiour I found on both bottomhalves a one cent coin.
One from 1978 and one from 1981, so sadly not matching to the cars age
Are these some kind of lucky charm or just coincidence that I found one on both sides?

[insert cute joke about two cents here]

sputnick60 Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:39 am

I have a small amount of Deutche Marks and Italian Lira in my ashtray. I keep them in case I time warp onto an AutoStrada or Autobhan. :lol:
Nicholas

the dominator Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:08 am

sputnick60 wrote: I have a small amount of Deutche Marks and Italian Lira in my ashtray. I keep them in case I time warp onto an AutoStrada or Autobhan. :lol:
Nicholas

just my 2 cents: not a chance I get warped into a time where you could actually buy something for a few cents in the States...... I remember our local candyshop in my earlier days which sold 1-2 cent candy (damn am getting old) :oops: :oops:

the dominator Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Received the birth certificate last weekend, seems to be the Ghia was delivered to Philadelphia. In the following years it traveled around to reach the east-coast in 1987 (according to last known licenseplates)

So let's name the car : Red Philly steak :lol: :lol: