TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: is this now a parts car? My restoration experience ('71 vert) Page: 1, 2  Next
ghiaslave Thu May 28, 2020 3:59 pm

So, I bought this Ghia about five years ago, knowing it had some body issues - at least four layers of paint, some bondo, minor (or so I thought) rust. It's been a blast to drive and really looked pretty damn nice overall, but I always wanted to do a full restoration.

I finally sent her off to a media blaster and removed all the history. What was revealed underneath was aFrankenstein's monster of crappy metal work –patches upon patches, brazed instead of welded work, crappy fabrication, etc – and way more rust than I could have ever imagined.

The body shop guy who did amazing work on my '67 bus said he wouldn't bother fixing it, throwing out repair costs of 30k or more (I do live in an expensive part of the country).

So, at this point, I'm thinking I sell all my parts, or I allow someone else with more guts than me take this project on. What would you do?

The media blaster guy left little mounds of bondo to show how thick it was.

I mean - who does that!?

It looks worse in person.

Was this just a shop class practice car?

Seriously?

What she looked like in better (?) days:

TDCTDI Thu May 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Such is the fallacy of tearing into an old car.

Cheapest way out is a reshell.

mooopers Thu May 28, 2020 5:32 pm

I know it’s of no conciliation now but restoration is not for every car or everyone. But whatever you do you need to enjoy your decision and be ok with it. Nothing is more important than that.

I had a 71 vert along time ago and it look almost exactly the same. If I’d have dipped it or blasted it i have no doubt it would have looked the same as yours. I made a decision to sell it as I couldn’t live with the issues it did have. Someone else choice now I thought.

I now have a coupe that I don’t want restored or perfect at all. I just want to enjoy it but that requires me excepting it. On the cars terms more than some idea I have about it.

Good luck and don’t be too hard on yourself or the car. The previous owners well that’s a different story.

jeffrey8164 Thu May 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Baja Marauder Ghia!
Give the Ghiapet a friend.

ghiaslave Thu May 28, 2020 5:41 pm

OOOoooooo, I like the Ghiapet friend idea. I was also thinking art car.

hmhmhmm. :idea:

Onceler Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Do you live near Tijuana? If so, send it back for a touch up. I like the cargo van floor pans, but would hate to see how they’re attached.

TDCTDI Thu May 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Polish the filler rod & let it flash rust & then high gloss clear it.

Marcdeb Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm sorry you are in this position. The car looks great in the before photo.
If you could find a buyer who is able to do body/metal work themselves,
the cost is not as much of an issue. If it were me, I would try to sell it as is. Then look for another car.
Being that Verts are getting hard to come by, very few are being parted now.
Owners try to sell them whole rather than cut them up.

If you decide to part it out, keep me in mind, I might be interested in some parts.

Canghia Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 pm

It looks as bad as mine did although Im not sure. I kept my frame and got another body. Even still I have a 69 frame and a 71 body. I am always amazed at what some bondo and paint can cover up. I kind like what TDCTDI said. Clear it and get it running.

simon varley Thu May 28, 2020 9:11 pm

that'll buff out :)

sputnick60 Thu May 28, 2020 11:57 pm

What a tragedy. You have to consider your losses. How much does it owe you versus how much to get another one. It could have remaining value it as a stock of spare parts. Maybe picking up an abandoned project is a path to a good result.
Nicholas

LVGhia72 Fri May 29, 2020 8:04 am

Sad :cry: Cut your losses while you can. Sell it as a project car or part it out to recover some expense. Try to find an elusive original owner car. Driven only to church by a little old lady from Pasadena. Good luck.

iowegian Fri May 29, 2020 8:18 am

ghiaslave wrote:

What she looked like in better (?) days:

Whoever created that had some amazing Bondo sculpting skillz--------truly a work of art.

TDCTDI Fri May 29, 2020 8:31 am

The license plate explains the cut out in the engine compartment.

ghiaslave Fri May 29, 2020 8:37 am

Keen eye, TDCTDI! Yes, I did the conversion myself. I actually only did the cutout when I removed the motor, knowing I was going to have to replace the rear apron. It was a challenge getting the motor in originally, and I figured I would try creating a removeable apron or some other customization to make it easier.

Peter D. Fri May 29, 2020 8:51 am

Would it be practical to ship the car someplace where the labor rate is cheaper? Or learn how to do the body work yourself?

I've heard of repro bodies for Mustangs and the VW Bus. Shame no one is making Ghia bodies. They would probably be $30k anyway.

bhartwell59 Fri May 29, 2020 9:50 am

Curious, is/was there a Ghia emblem on the pass side to?

ghiaslave Fri May 29, 2020 10:02 am

Quote: Curious, is/was there a Ghia emblem on the pass side to?
Yes, I have all the emblems. BUT, what should have tipped me off when I bought this beast is that there was no recess in the fender where the emblem goes. The PO had cut off the mounting posts of the emblems and just taped them on.

ghiaslave Fri May 29, 2020 10:09 am

Quote: Would it be practical to ship the car someplace where the labor rate is cheaper? Or learn how to do the body work yourself?

I think I'd be ok replacing off-the-shelf panels that are available, like the rear apron or whatnot, but even so

a) all the parts I would need are really quite expensive in themselves and
b) the parts that aren't available like outside fenders are way beyond my skill level to fabricate.

It was much easier to find reasonably priced parts for my bus.

I think at this point, I'm leaning towards seeing if I can find a project car with a good body - does that exist? - and starting over.

bhartwell59 Fri May 29, 2020 10:13 am

[quote="ghiaslave"] Quote: BUT, what should have tipped me off when I bought this beast is that there was no recess in the fender where the emblem goes.

For the future, and it goes on the passenger side only. No emblem on driver's side.