TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1971 Ghia door striker
Reimenizer Sat May 30, 2020 5:13 am

The door striker somehow is loose. The door opens now with just a pull. Is this something that can be tightened or needs to be replaced? Thought I would ask before I took it off. Thanks.

c21darrel Sat May 30, 2020 9:52 am

pull it off, find out why and if you can fix or need to replace.

jeffrey8164 Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 am

I’ve had this happen on my 70 and 71. Those pieces seem to be pressfit into the strike mechanism so you just need to find a used strike. There’s a bunch of them in the classifieds so you should be good to go.

I’m pretty sure mine broke because of door alignment so you will want to check that and make sure it catches freely and doesn’t make the door raise or lower when engaged.

Reimenizer Sat May 30, 2020 2:24 pm

Ok. Thank everyone. I think the problem is the car was used for a long time with sagging hinges and no door seal. Best time to do it since my door cards have not arrived...😃

Marcdeb Sat May 30, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm working on a 71 vert and have no door panels. I've been looking at what's available but I'm not crazy about the reproduction panels available. I want to keep the car as original as I can. Can I ask what you're installing?

Reimenizer Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi Marc - sorry for the late response. I have been out of pocket the last few weeks.

I ended up getting the TMI Masonite panels with the pocket. They look pretty nice. Not sure how close to stock they are but should look nice. I got all new clips and armrests too. I have not installed them yet.

I have all the seals to install too. Just trying to make the time.

Marcdeb Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Sounds nice. Would love to see how it comes out when your done.
thank you.

Paul70Ghia Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:08 am

I had a very similar issue on our 70 coupe and the striker is just press fitted - if you get the lock assy out you’ll see where it should be just by holding it square. I got a local welding company just to weld it back together which is fine structurally and not really visible unless you’re a lock spotter. Sadly they welded it at a slight angle so I ended up replacing with a later latch - by memory the 70 latch is part number xxxxxx-6, and the later ones used xxxxxx-8. Unless this had been modified by a previous owner it already had some braze/weld holding it together so might be a better bet if you end up buying a replacement.