TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone have a source for Ice Blue and Hydrate Green Paint?
Warrenja Sun May 31, 2020 4:41 pm

I am trying to restore my 1963 Ghia's interior back to the original state. I am needing a source for L395 Ice Blue and L396 Hydrate Green paint. Any ideas?

scott.tagg Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Warren, join the club. I'm restoring a 61 turquoise beetle, with hydrate green painted steering wheel, steering column, turn signal, dash grab handle, shifter and emergency brake handle. Only done from August 60 to Feb 61. My car sat in the Idaho desert for 35 years, so the only part I could use for a color match is the steering column. I took it to my local automotive paint store Wesco for a color match a few weeks ago, they should have something for me in a week or two. Will share the recipe if it works. Then will work on the Ice blue color match, as my seat frames and rear seat back are ice blue. I've given up on trying to find ice blue visors, door handles, etc. and plan to switch over to off white, as they are available.

wheel607 Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:00 pm

If you have a Sherwin Williams Automotive paint store near, go there. I just got back with a spray can with epoxy hardener in Beryl Grun L478 for (with tax) $25.52 and they say they have all vw formulas since 1955 or can mix / match to sample.

scott.tagg Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks Wheel607 for the tip about Sherwin Williams automotive paint. We have one about 6 miles from home, will try to swing by and check it out.

vanagonswede Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:14 am

I would be happy to know the result on this to.