TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sand Rail Shocks
atvjoey Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 pm

So I have a very lightweight buggy (small wheelbase and small frame) and I need all new shocks as all 4 are completely trashed (restoration project). Its mostly a pavement rail with some minor offroading very occasionally so I'm looking for the most comfortable ride I can get in a rail but I'm finding it difficult to find shocks for the weight difference. Any advice on which shocks or even no shocks? Thanks in advance

earthquake Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:45 pm

What kind of shocks do you have now? can you post a picture of what you have?
Are they stock OEM style shocks or some thing form some other kind of car? If you just want a smooth ride I would avoid gas shocks like KYB's [stands for "Kills Your Back"] and pick up a cheap shock from your local parts store.

eQ

atvjoey Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:14 pm

It is not the original shocks. It has air shocks in the rear that were supporting my heavily sagging rear end before I re-indexed the torsion bars. They are pretty shot as well as what looks like empi shocks in the front that collapse as soon as any weight is put on them (front torsion leaves are trashed but I have a new front end going in soon) EDIT: I'll add better pics later that show the shocks specifically

Multi69s Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:25 am

I would go with KYP Continentals at both ends. The cost is decent and they have fairly light damping (DO NOT get Gas-Adjust). I never use any type of oil shock for off road. When they get hot from hitting bumps, the oil cavitates and you can loose all damping. Learned that the hard way.

atvjoey Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks for the input. Took off the shocks and none of them when compressed returned back to length. I have a feeling that almost any shocks will do better than these. Thanks

Q-Dog Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:15 pm

atvjoey wrote: Thanks for the input. Took off the shocks and none of them when compressed returned back to length. I have a feeling that almost any shocks will do better than these. Thanks
Oil shocks don't expand by themselves. :wink:

liquidrush Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:11 pm

I went with these gas KYBs, mine is lightweight and I drive it on the road and gravel roads. I lowered my tire pressure to around 15psi, set my rear arms to 11deg and have one set of new torsion leaves in the front with a through rod replacing the other set. It rides about as good as it can for what it is.