TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Manual transmission problem !
West54 Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Hi,

On my Vanagon 1988, i cannot shift in third and fourth gear. I really don't know what's the problem is. ANY IDEAS. Thank you for your help :cry:

Richard

old_man Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Good chance your 3-4 slider hub is broken. Only way to fix it is a transmission rebuild.

I would still go through proper diagnosis steps.

Ahwahnee Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:34 pm

old_man wrote: Good chance your 3-4 slider hub is broken...

This explains that particular failure:

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?i...%20photo).

By all means rule out the simple stuff first including the linkage which contains some wear parts.

I very recently got a rebuild from AZ Transaxle. Bill was great to work with and gave me good guidance in selection of options. Also bailed me out when UPS lost the transaxle I was shipping to him.

https://aztransaxle.com/

MarkWard Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:37 pm

My transmission was shifting fine and found the broken 3/4 hub while tackling something else in the transaxle. Its about as far into the transaxle as you can get. Hope its something simple and external.

Sodo Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Change your transaxle oil.
If 3rd/4th slider is broken there could be some metal chunks on the drain plug magnet.
Post a pic of the magnet's fuzzy hairdo.

And if no chunks, well at least you maintained your valuable transaxle.
Most people 'maintain it' after there are problems, or noise.
There is no oil available that can repair the damage done by non-maintenance.

Transaxle is out of sight, out of mind for most people, thus suffers very poor maintenance.

?Waldo? Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Sure, it could be the 3-4 slider, but it could also be the shift linkage, play in the shift ball, worn out shifter cup, etc, etc... Start simple first. Try shifting at the trans. Have someone else shift between gears while you watch the lever at the trans to see for play, etc.

West54 Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 am

West54 wrote: Hi,

On my Vanagon 1988, i cannot shift in third and fourth gear. I really don't know what's the problem is. ANY IDEAS. Thank you for your help :cry:

Richard

Hi,

Effectively, it was the 3-4 slider hub broken in two pieces.

Thank you for your help.

Richard

coclimber Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Bummer! Big expense. I limped home from Laramie, WY to Denver, CO in 1st and 2nd gear when that happened to me. It took 6 hours to drive the 2 hour route but having your van where you can deal with it rather than on the road is a big deal. Where did you get your transmission from and what was the cost!?

Abscate Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:49 pm

MarkWard wrote:

My transmission was shifting fine and found the broken 3/4 hub while tackling something else in the transaxle. Its about as far into the transaxle as you can get. Hope its something simple and external.

That’s going to take lots of 10mm wrenches

West54 Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:19 am

coclimber wrote: Bummer! Big expense. I limped home from Laramie, WY to Denver, CO in 1st and 2nd gear when that happened to me. It took 6 hours to drive the 2 hour route but having your van where you can deal with it rather than on the road is a big deal. Where did you get your transmission from and what was the cost!?

Hi,

I had my transmission rebuild by my mechanic who works mostly on Westfalia (This guy lives beside Montréal, Québec, Canada) and the job cost me $1500 canadian dollars. He replaced the slider hub by one with a lifetime warranty.

Good luck

Richard

coclimber Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:48 am

West54 wrote:
Hi,

I had my transmission rebuild by my mechanic who works mostly on Westfalia (This guy lives beside Montréal, Québec, Canada) and the job cost me $1500 canadian dollars. He replaced the slider hub by one with a lifetime warranty.

Good luck

Richard

Thanks yeah, my Laramie-Denver fiasco was way back in 2010 :) In CO, the job cost around $3000US, so keep your mechanic relationship healthy! Extra beers or bonus tickets to a hockey game after COVID!

Wildthings Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:59 am

[quote="coclimber"] West54 wrote:
In CO, the job cost around $3000US, so keep your mechanic relationship healthy! Extra beers or bonus tickets to a hockey game after COVID!

Driving home with a gear box full of metal chunks is known to be expensive. Best to just rent a truck and trailer and tow it.