TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clutch pedal to trans arm throw question
Danny604 Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:28 pm

I have a 59 beetle with a 1500SP and a 67 swing axle transmission.

I am pulling the motor out to replaced what I think is a bad pressure plate. May have more questions once its apart.

But for now, im wondering about the difference in clutch pedal travel and transmission arm travel. And from what I have read the diaphragm style pressure plate didn't come out until 73 and the diaphragm requires less travel than the 3 arm type, ive searched but cant find an exact answer to this question.

So I am looking for input on the setup I plan on putting back together.
-Original 59 pedal assembly
-67 transmission with its original arm
-Clutch disc, diaphragm pressure plate, matching pre 70 throwout bearing

Bruce Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:29 am

Danny604 wrote: im wondering about the difference in clutch pedal travel and transmission arm travel. And from what I have read the diaphragm style pressure plate didn't come out until 73 and the diaphragm requires less travel than the 3 arm type, ive searched but cant find an exact answer to this question.
What's your question?

rayjay Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:08 am

Study this and see if it answers your question. You definitely don't want to over compress the diaphragm. You should think about an adjustable pedal stop. A longer clutch release arm would be another thing to consider. It would reduce the travel and reduce the pedal effort which the cable would appreciate.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730313&highlight=clutch

Danny604 Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Bruce wrote: Danny604 wrote: im wondering about the difference in clutch pedal travel and transmission arm travel. And from what I have read the diaphragm style pressure plate didn't come out until 73 and the diaphragm requires less travel than the 3 arm type, ive searched but cant find an exact answer to this question.
What's your question?

Wondering if the 59 pedal and the 67 clutch arm are compatible. OR, in other words will the mismatch years of transmission arm and clutch pedal arm result in a different stroke length at the TO bearing.

modok Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:48 pm

I would think that would depend on the pressure plate and disk used.

the pressure plates and disks available are not made to any exacting historical specifications.
You may have to lengthen the transmission arm as needed until it works correctly.
This is a shame, but it has been screwed up so long it's too late to change now.

clonebug Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Danny604 wrote: Bruce wrote: Danny604 wrote: im wondering about the difference in clutch pedal travel and transmission arm travel. And from what I have read the diaphragm style pressure plate didn't come out until 73 and the diaphragm requires less travel than the 3 arm type, ive searched but cant find an exact answer to this question.
What's your question?

Wondering if the 59 pedal and the 67 clutch arm are compatible. OR, in other words will the mismatch years of transmission arm and clutch pedal arm result in a different stroke length at the TO bearing.

I installed a later stamped style pedal in my 64 pan buggy and run a 67 transmission......not for compatibility but so I could add a "Turbo" gas pedal from CB Performance.

I have since upgraded to a Stage II pressure plate and also extended my throw out arm to 100 mm. It makes the clutch easier to push but also makes you have to push the clutch farther to disengage it.

You can usually feel when the diaphragm clutches go over too far. They get easier to push. Just stop pushing once you get to that point or else build an adjustable pedal stop and set it for optimum throw.
It's not too difficult to do.

My clutch pedal has a stop on it and I could add a bit to it but I don't find it really necessary since I can feel how far the clutch needs to go.

Bruce Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:43 am

Danny604 wrote: Bruce wrote: Danny604 wrote: im wondering about the difference in clutch pedal travel and transmission arm travel. And from what I have read the diaphragm style pressure plate didn't come out until 73 and the diaphragm requires less travel than the 3 arm type, ive searched but cant find an exact answer to this question.
What's your question?

The clutch arm on your 67 trans is about the same length as what the original split case trans had, so there won't be any difference.

In your case changing from the original coil spring clutch to a diaphragm spring clutch means that you now have too much TO bearing travel. You will have a greater chance of breaking the diaphragm spring in the clutch unless you extend the clutch arm.

Danny604 Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:44 am

Bruce wrote: Danny604 wrote: Bruce wrote: Danny604 wrote: im wondering about the difference in clutch pedal travel and transmission arm travel. And from what I have read the diaphragm style pressure plate didn't come out until 73 and the diaphragm requires less travel than the 3 arm type, ive searched but cant find an exact answer to this question.
What's your question?

The clutch arm on your 67 trans is about the same length as what the original split case trans had, so there won't be any difference.

In your case changing from the original coil spring clutch to a diaphragm spring clutch means that you now have too much TO bearing travel. You will have a greater chance of breaking the diaphragm spring in the clutch unless you extend the clutch arm.

Thanks Bruce, that's what I needed to know. Is there a replacement arm available? or do you know how much longer my arm needs to be?

clonebug Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 pm

I had my neighbor extend a spare throwout arm.....the longer ones are 100mm or in American....4.0 inch.

Just cut and weld a piece in the middle and file it all smooth so it looks like a stock one. Just make sure you get the top facing the correct way........ :roll: :o

Splitdog Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:31 pm

clonebug wrote:
I installed a later stamped style pedal in my 64 pan buggy and run a 67 transmission......not for compatibility but so I could add a "Turbo" gas pedal from CB Performance.

I have since upgraded to a Stage II pressure plate and also extended my throw out arm to 100 mm. It makes the clutch easier to push but also makes you have to push the clutch farther to disengage it.

You can usually feel when the diaphragm clutches go over too far. They get easier to push. Just stop pushing once you get to that point or else build an adjustable pedal stop and set it for optimum throw.
It's not too difficult to do.

My clutch pedal has a stop on it and I could add a bit to it but I don't find it really necessary since I can feel how far the clutch needs to go.

Adjust 1" from the floor, not the top.

Dan Ruddock Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Look at Gary Bergs ads, he has longer arms. I think they are by flat four out of Japan. Dan