TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: tension bar setting
alj7784 Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 pm

I am switching my rear spring plate and torsion bars from the longer IRS to the swing axle style to give my more room for larger tires. Being the "smart" one i am nothing was marked. I took everything apart to have the frame powder coated and bought all new parts for rear suspension. What i am wondering is what is the best way to put back together without having measurements from before taking apart? Such as the bar setting, For example should it be at 20 degrees or what. Any help will be appreciated. If you need to know any more info let me know.

Dale M. Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:49 pm

The place to start is the bottom side of trailing arm half covering the lower (rear) hole for cover plate bolt.... Think it's 17.5° down with chassis level....

Dale

alj7784 Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:47 pm

So when I slide the spring plate on the torsion bar I can only get it to be at 10° or 20°. No matter if I move the torsion rod one spline on the inside or move the spring Plate one spline. Also to double check the bar labeled L for left goes on the drivers side correct? Just don’t want to get confused with the engine “backwards “

Dale M. Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Well there is this method of reclocking torsion bars... Works to either raise or lower rear....

Method is pretty much detailed in "Baja Bugs & Buggies" by Jeff Hibbard , HP Books...

Dale

dirtkeeper Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:21 am

As you are taking measurements of the angle make sure that your car is level 0 degrees or if it is not that you add or subtract to the angle you are measuring for reference.