TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: So apparently there is a nationwide shortage of Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
jwp67 Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:16 pm

Sorry, I have worked grocery retail for 22 years. I guess you hit a nerve. lol. No offense intended

Long-roofs Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:02 pm

cdennisg wrote: Have not been there in a long time, but it was the only place I could find a bike chain.

On that note, the bike parts section was picked pretty thin. Almost no adult size bikes on the rack, and very few 26" tubes or tires available.

You may be disappointed in that bike chain. I went to my local little bike shop I always get my parts from, said I wanted the best bike chain. Sadly, a year later, it's so stretched, I mean what a POS!

I'd rather have nothing, then buy a product that is junk in a year. :evil:

cdennisg Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:04 pm

Long-roofs wrote: cdennisg wrote: Have not been there in a long time, but it was the only place I could find a bike chain.

On that note, the bike parts section was picked pretty thin. Almost no adult size bikes on the rack, and very few 26" tubes or tires available.

You may be disappointed in that bike chain. I went to my local little bike shop I always get my parts from, said I wanted the best bike chain. Sadly, a year later, it's so stretched, I mean what a POS!

Just found out its four inches too short! Dammit! No length given on the packaging. Just that it was made for single speed full size bikes.

Called a friend that builds a few bikes. He has some chain for me.

EverettB Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pm

cdennisg wrote: Long-roofs wrote: cdennisg wrote: Have not been there in a long time, but it was the only place I could find a bike chain.

Just found out its four inches too short! Dammit!

Add a ton of quick links, LOL

cdennisg Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:07 pm

EverettB wrote: cdennisg wrote: Long-roofs wrote: cdennisg wrote: Have not been there in a long time, but it was the only place I could find a bike chain.

Just found out its four inches too short! Dammit!

Add a ton of quick links, LOL

Maybe space them out evenly over the length of the chain for a cool visual effect! :lol:

Glenn Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:24 pm

Long-roofs wrote: You may be disappointed in that bike chain. I went to my local little bike shop I always get my parts from, said I wanted the best bike chain. Sadly, a year later, it's so stretched, I mean what a POS!
Best might be a relative term. Best might be the lightest and not the longest lasting.

I replace the chain twice a year since i put 5000 miles a year on the bike. I clean and lube the drivetrain every week, about 150 miles, so this way I get the most life from it.

The don't "stretch", they wear and which cause them to get longer.

Park makes a tool to measure wear.

Long-roofs Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:20 am

Glenn wrote: Long-roofs wrote: You may be disappointed in that bike chain. I went to my local little bike shop I always get my parts from, said I wanted the best bike chain. Sadly, a year later, it's so stretched, I mean what a POS!
Best might be a relative term. Best might be the lightest and not the longest lasting.

I replace the chain twice a year since i put 5000 miles a year on the bike. I clean and lube the drivetrain every week, about 150 miles, so this way I get the most life from it.

The don't "stretch", they wear and which cause them to get longer.

You may have a couple more miles on a bike than I do. My bikes are old cruisers, some skip-tooth etc....mostly for hitting store a mile away or breweries. I may have 100 miles on that chain.

Cusser Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 am

I only rode about 5 miles today, on my 1978 Peugeot; I'm old, it was windy, and I'm tired !!!

cdennisg Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:38 pm

I stopped by a friend's small lumber mill a few days ago, to order up some materials for my house trim project. He told me the name brand local yards have been calling him to buy dimensional cedar, as they cannot get any right now. He has other commitments to his regulars, so he had to decline.

Prices on some dimensional lumber and sheet goods have doubled or tripled over the last couple of months. And some things are pretty much unavailable. Makes me glad I did my major house remodel two years ago, and I no longer work in the construction trade.

ALLWAGONS Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:12 pm

There is a shortage of common sense and respect!

Mike Fisher Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 am

ALLWAGONS wrote: There is a shortage of common sense and respect!

like cutting taxes/budgets & running budget deficits!
How would you like to live on Less Money & Government Services every year?

marklaken Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm

cdennisg wrote: I stopped by a friend's small lumber mill a few days ago, to order up some materials for my house trim project. He told me the name brand local yards have been calling him to buy dimensional cedar, as they cannot get any right now. He has other commitments to his regulars, so he had to decline.

Prices on some dimensional lumber and sheet goods have doubled or tripled over the last couple of months. And some things are pretty much unavailable. Makes me glad I did my major house remodel two years ago, and I no longer work in the construction trade.

For the past couple decades, I've been amazed at how cheap lumber was considering all the effort it takes to grow, harvest, mill, and ship. I certainly was accustomed to really cheap lumber prices. Now that there is some supply issues and higher demand, prices are sky high and a lot of stuff is limited to poor quality seconds or simply unavailable. Maybe the price is where it should be, but sticker shocking none the less to buy a small project worth of lumber. Can't imagine trying to build/expand a house right now.

cdennisg Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:02 pm

marklaken wrote: cdennisg wrote: I stopped by a friend's small lumber mill a few days ago, to order up some materials for my house trim project. He told me the name brand local yards have been calling him to buy dimensional cedar, as they cannot get any right now. He has other commitments to his regulars, so he had to decline.

For the past couple decades, I've been amazed at how cheap lumber was considering all the effort it takes to grow, harvest, mill, and ship. I certainly was accustomed to really cheap lumber prices. Now that there is some supply issues and higher demand, prices are sky high and a lot of stuff is limited to poor quality seconds or simply unavailable. Maybe the price is where it should be, but sticker shocking none the less to buy a small project worth of lumber. Can't imagine trying to build/expand a house right now.

Agreed. Though it seems, from the outside looking in, that it isn't the landowner (grower) or the logger that is making money on the current cost increases. The mills and the retailer are benefiting the most, along with commodity investors.

Mike Fisher Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm

cdennisg wrote: marklaken wrote: cdennisg wrote: I stopped by a friend's small lumber mill a few days ago, to order up some materials for my house trim project. He told me the name brand local yards have been calling him to buy dimensional cedar, as they cannot get any right now. He has other commitments to his regulars, so he had to decline.

Agreed. Though it seems, from the outside looking in, that it isn't the landowner (grower) or the logger that is making money on the current cost increases. The mills and the retailer are benefiting the most, along with commodity investors.

Really @ $52 for 48X96 T-111 at Home Depot!

KTPhil Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Mike Fisher wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plytanium-Plywood-Sidi.../100000016

Shows as $34 online for 8".
Less for 4" at $29.
Weird it would be cheaper in SoCal than in OR!

But the future is in engineered wood... more sustainable and doesn't need the higher quality raw stock that is getting scarcer. More energy and machining to make it, but probably a good trade-off.

mark tucker Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm

the plywood at lowes has doubbled in the past 6 months.the osb has tripped or more....kinda strange since the hurican michel back last year made oh somany tree farms totaly gone in the south for lumber, but for osb it was like free . they were just picking it up and hauling it off making wood chips. Ive never seen somuch total distruction on such a massive scale & Ive been through many of these. and another one tomorrow or day after.

marklaken Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 pm

KTPhil wrote:

But the future is in engineered wood... more sustainable and doesn't need the higher quality raw stock that is getting scarcer. More energy and machining to make it, but probably a good trade-off.

Seriously - I was able to buy 14"x1.75"x20' Microlam garage header beams ($105) for less than I could buildup the same beam using traditional #2 grade lumber, which would be half the strength and triple the thickness.

cdennisg Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:16 pm

KTPhil wrote: Mike Fisher wrote:

Less for 4" at $29.

Online prices and in-store price are often different. Not sure why, but don't expect to get the online price when you go to the store.

A close friend of mine and long time coworker in construction has family in San Diego. He goes down there to help with some remodel work occasionally. When he goes to the lumber yard there, the lumber stamps are from the mill just down the road from here, the lumber is better quality than what is sold here, and is often the same price or less than it is here, for the exact same stuff. And it has been shipped to Socal!

Yes, engineered wood certainly has it's place in the industry. But OSB still sucks. I would never use it to sheet a roof, and rarely use it for walls except for gable ends where the sheets offer no structure, just some thing for the siding to grab onto.

Mike Fisher Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm

KTPhil wrote: Mike Fisher wrote:

Less for 4" at $29.

My purchase was 1+ years ago when I replaced 8" siding & trim mainly
on our South wall getting ready for an appraisal/re-financing.
I thanked God then that I wasn't building a whole house from scratch! :roll:

kingkarmann Mon May 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Fuel Tanker Drivers, Chlorine, Micro-chips.
I'm sure there are more shortages to come :roll: