TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The Roach Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Bobnotch Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:38 am

vwfye wrote: Mock up

Looks like it's ready to go in to me. :wink: Then the trans and engine can get off your floor, so you can stop tripping over them. :lol:

vwfye Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 am

Old IRS and trans are still in the car. This is my IRS/framehorns unit. I still have to pull the old one to get the swing arms off the old one and then add a cross bar to the upper shock mounts to limit flex. But progress!

vwfye Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Hardware installed. Next are the trailing arms and stub axles

vwfye Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Last night, after moving the speedster to a friend's garage, I moved the Roach in the garage so that I could have space around it to get after the rear subframe swap. I will also use this time to install the windshield, make some more repairs and see if I can sort out the hood issues.

Bobnotch Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:40 pm

vwfye wrote: Last night, after moving the speedster to a friend's garage, I moved the Roach in the garage so that I could have space around it to get after the rear subframe swap. I will also use this time to install the windshield, make some more repairs and see if I can sort out the hood issues.

Looks good. Maybe some work will actually get done in the next couple of weeks. [-o<

vwfye Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:10 pm

We were out of state for a funeral for 2 weeks. That sort of thing brings a stop to car work.

Bobnotch Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:41 pm

vwfye wrote: We were out of state for a funeral for 2 weeks. That sort of thing brings a stop to car work.

OK, I'll let you slide on that one. But you do have a tendency to work at the speed of molasses in winter time. :wink: :lol:

vwfye Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:43 pm

That is just so others shake their heads... secretly I am efficient.

catbox Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:52 am

Bobnotch wrote: vwfye wrote: We were out of state for a funeral for 2 weeks. That sort of thing brings a stop to car work.

OK, I'll let you slide on that one. But you do have a tendency to work at the speed of molasses in winter time. :wink: :lol:

I have heard of that work speed described as "PST or Phil Standard Time"
Phil in this case would be Notched.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vwfye Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:04 am

The car is on stands to drop the rear subframe. I noticed, while under it today, that the body is 1/8th inch too far forward.
Now, I need to sort out how to move it that little bit as a one man show.

Tram Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 am

vwfye wrote: The car is on stands to drop the rear subframe. I noticed, while under it today, that the body is 1/8th inch too far forward.

vwfye Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:03 am

Tram wrote: vwfye wrote: The car is on stands to drop the rear subframe. I noticed, while under it today, that the body is 1/8th inch too far forward.

Hahaha

Bobnotch Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:33 pm

How about a ratchet strap/tie down strap?

vwfye Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm trying to see what I can leverage against. It will happen.

Bobnotch Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:41 pm

vwfye wrote: I'm trying to see what I can leverage against. It will happen.

Depends on which way they have to go. You can use the bottom of the front fender well to pull the pan forward, or from the pan edge (up front) rearward off a bumper mount. You're only talking an 1/8th inch. You could almost unbolt most of it and bounce the body on the pan too.

vwfye Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:54 pm

The wifey decided, rightfully so, that I should no longer be under heavy and awkward things alone. So, today I picked up a lift table and a 48" LED lamp and Thursday I picked up a pair of 6 ton 2" tall jack stands. I am set to "safely" finish pulling the rear subframe and installing the new one. No more hokey balancing...

andybla Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:16 am

Good decision, always think about your safety so you could cruise later :o

Jason37 Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:18 pm

When you get to this point, you know it’s been a project too long. Kudos to your wife for enforcing safety...mine might check on me after 5 or 6 hours.

And I know it not be the most desirable method, but a long drift or punch might move the body into alignment.

vwfye Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Unexpected hang up... literally.

Everything is disconnected, but the shift rod coupler will not let go of the transmission! Pretty sure, based on the safety wire, it has never been apart and it does not want to be free. Grrrrrr

vwfye Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:09 pm

I used a ratchet strap last night to put tensio on the set up. This morning, it had released! Woot!!! Next is to unbolt the pivot pins and then start fitting it all to the updates subframe.