TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The Roach Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
vwfye Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:11 pm

The Passing Eye mirror will have a new home

vwfye Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 am

It sucks getting old. I ordered upper ball joints rigjt before taking a run up to my folks. Now, I can't remember who I odered them from to check on the status. Doh!

vwfye Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:54 pm

Upper ball joints arrive monday. Window rubber arrived today.

Once I am back on my feet this week, I will get back to it.

Tram Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:12 pm

vwfye wrote: It sucks getting old. I ordered upper ball joints rigjt before taking a run up to my folks. Now, I can't remember who I odered them from to check on the status. Doh!

Gawd amighty. You're way younger than I am. :roll:

vwfye Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:17 pm

3 mini strokes effecting s.t. memory. And... i am flat on my back for the second straight day afterthrowing my back out. Oigh!

Bobnotch Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:40 pm

vwfye wrote: 3 mini strokes effecting s.t. memory. And... i am flat on my back for the second straight day afterthrowing my back out. Oigh!

Sorry to hear that. Been living with a messed up back for 20 years though, so I know how that can be. Doesn't help I'm close to Trams age. :lol:

vwfye Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm

Bobnotch wrote:
Doesn't help I'm close to Trams age. :lol:

😅😆🤣😂

Tram Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Bobnotch wrote: vwfye wrote: 3 mini strokes effecting s.t. memory. And... i am flat on my back for the second straight day afterthrowing my back out. Oigh!

Sorry to hear that. Been living with a messed up back for 20 years though, so I know how that can be. Doesn't help I'm close to Trams age. :lol:

Bob- how is recovery coming?

I injured my back competitive weightlifting in the '70s. They wanted to "fix" it then but everyone I talked to that knew anyone that had a back operation said "DON'T DO IT, MAN!!!" I was a young guy, so I listened.

It came back to bite me hard in early 2010 so I had to have something done. Re-injured it in 2012 and had a reprise of the same surgery. The decade of the Teens was not kind to me- back x2, kidney stones, prostate x 2, and severe atrial fibrillation that turned a two hour outpatient ablation into a six hour mother requiring a hospital stay. I am like the $6 million dollar man now, though- aside from some arthritis in my neck (what a pain in the neck!) I feel better than I did in 2009. Still making my poor wife run for the hills, too, so all is well. I am fortunate, and looking forward to the next 40-50 years. :lol: I finally have a pain remedy that works fantastic with none of the opioid dopeyness or side effects- CBD oil. Fantastic stuff!

Hope you are doing WELL.

Bobnotch Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Tram wrote: Bobnotch wrote: vwfye wrote: 3 mini strokes effecting s.t. memory. And... i am flat on my back for the second straight day afterthrowing my back out. Oigh!

I injured my back competitive weightlifting in the '70s. They wanted to "fix" it then but everyone I talked to that knew anyone that had a back operation said "DON'T DO IT, MAN!!!" I was a young guy, so I listened.

It came back to bite me hard in early 2010 so I had to have something done. Re-injured it in 2012 and had a reprise of the same surgery. The decade of the Teens was not kind to me- back x2, kidney stones, prostate x 2, and severe atrial fibrillation that turned a two hour outpatient ablation into a six hour mother requiring a hospital stay. I am like the $6 million dollar man now, though- aside from some arthritis in my neck (what a pain in the neck!) I feel better than I did in 2009. Still making my poor wife run for the hills, too, so all is well. I am fortunate, and looking forward to the next 40-50 years. :lol: I finally have a pain remedy that works fantastic with none of the opioid dopeyness or side effects- CBD oil. Fantastic stuff!

Hope you are doing WELL.

Slowly doing better. After seeing the heart doc, he wants to do some neck rotor router work (Aug 7th), and then set me up with a neurosurgeon to see about helping get me to stand/sit up longer (had a relapse 2 sunday's ago, and they think I had a mini stroke then), as that's what put me in the hospital in the first place. It's like I told the heart doc, if it hadn't been for that, he wouldn't have had to put in the stents, as I'd been dead. It was that close. Other than that I'm doing good. Most work is on hold though, so it'll be waiting for me. The quitting smoking is a little hard though, but then I knew it would be. My regular doc isn't too worried about it though, as I've cut wayyy down from what I used to smoke. The kids are now working on trying to get Sue to quit now. We'll see. At least I'd already been cutting back on my beer drinking prior to all this crap. The drugs I'm on don't mix with beer. The kidney stone was last year, and that was painful enough. The back is still good days/bad days, like it's been for the last 20 years, although 6 days in the hospital didn't do it any favors (couldn't get comfortable to save my life).

Tram Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:14 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Tram wrote: Bobnotch wrote: vwfye wrote: 3 mini strokes effecting s.t. memory. And... i am flat on my back for the second straight day afterthrowing my back out. Oigh!

Hope you are doing WELL.

Slowly doing better. After seeing the heart doc, he wants to do some neck rotor router work (Aug 7th), and then set me up with a neurosurgeon to see about helping get me to stand/sit up longer (had a relapse 2 sunday's ago, and they think I had a mini stroke then), as that's what put me in the hospital in the first place. It's like I told the heart doc, if it hadn't been for that, he wouldn't have had to put in the stents, as I'd been dead. It was that close. Other than that I'm doing good. Most work is on hold though, so it'll be waiting for me. The quitting smoking is a little hard though, but then I knew it would be. My regular doc isn't too worried about it though, as I've cut wayyy down from what I used to smoke. The kids are now working on trying to get Sue to quit now. We'll see. At least I'd already been cutting back on my beer drinking prior to all this crap. The drugs I'm on don't mix with beer. The kidney stone was last year, and that was painful enough. The back is still good days/bad days, like it's been for the last 20 years, although 6 days in the hospital didn't do it any favors (couldn't get comfortable to save my life).

Keep us posted! Yeah, I have an occasional cigar or pipe, Bill Clinton style (I don't inhale) just for the taste. Chucked cigs in early 1997. A pack always lasted me a few days. One day I just decided I was done with it. One beer and maybe a cocktail for a nightcap is enough booze for me these days.

Kidney stones... I was passing one every couple weeks for a few years. Second TURP procedure cured it. Thank God- it was a pretty painful existence.

Gotta roll with what life sends you. Give thanks because there's always someone worse off no matter how bad we think we have it! You too, Mr. Fye.

vwfye Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Yep. I'm set back, but I figure it is only a few days. Well, I hope...

Back to the Roach. Front and rear window rubber is here, so that is in the future. I cant find my Bentley, so I need to find one. I need to pull door windows out of the 71 doors ro fit into the 65's door as thwy have been shot out.
Upper ball joints arrive tomorrow, but I have no idea IF I can work on it yet. Chiropractor visit in the a.m.

Bobnotch Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:08 pm

vwfye wrote: Yep. I'm set back, but I figure it is only a few days. Well, I hope...

Back to the Roach. Front and rear window rubber is here, so that is in the future. I cant find my Bentley, so I need to find one. I need to pull door windows out of the 71 doors ro fit into the 65's door as thwy have been shot out.
Upper ball joints arrive tomorrow, but I have no idea IF I can work on it yet. Chiropractor visit in the a.m.

Glass is easy. Are the 65's wing windows busted too? Just wondering if you needed to do the big pieces only. If not, at least you'll have parts from 2 sets of doors to rebuild with. Just keep in mind that everything has to come out, including the window scrapers (for the wing windows to have room to swing thru). To get the glass run clips out, look at the the tail of the tab, and push the clip in the opposite direction.

vwfye Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:33 pm

I've never had to do wind up glass, so... it's always not knowing that is nervy.

vwfye Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:48 pm

Ultra light duty tonight... installed the upper ball joints, but no wrenches and no installation to the trailing arms, but... I got to 'work' on the car!

Bobnotch Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:04 pm

vwfye wrote: I've never had to do wind up glass, so... it's always not knowing that is nervy.

The big key is to get ALL of the broken pieces out of the door. Grease the gear while you have it out, along with the lower spring guide (clips to the lifter arm).

vwfye Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm

Day 6 with the back screwed up. Monday I managed to hang the upper ball joints. Tuesday I snugged them down :roll: probably still days away from torquing them and hanging the spinles. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Bobnotch Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 pm

vwfye wrote: Day 6 with the back screwed up. Monday I managed to hang the upper ball joints. Tuesday I snugged them down :roll: probably still days away from torquing them and hanging the spinles. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

You're doing better than me. I checked on Rob a couple of times today, but that was my ultra limited duty for me. But then he's working on his Civic, doing lower control arms, before he takes it in for an alignment.

vwfye Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 pm

Hey all, me being me, I can't find my bolts that go in the opposite side of the beam into the torsion bars. :oops: So... what size and hardness are those critters?

Yabbadubbadoo Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:34 am

Parts book says m10 x15 or m10 x 18 depending on chassis number.

Not sure about hardness. Wouldn't expect it to be higher than grade 8.

Link to parts book. See Section 4 . Steering.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

vwfye Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:47 am

Why thank you very much!