TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dealer installed sill plates
veedubcrazy Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 pm

I picked up a set of good, used door sill plates from a local shop for a decent price. Upon clean-up, the backside of the plates show A5 401L and A5 401R. Could be a part number but a quick search on internet revealed darn near nothing.

Anyone seen these before? TIA!

ZENVWDRIVER Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:20 am

veedubcrazy wrote: I picked up a set of good, used door sill plates from a local shop for a decent price. Upon clean-up, the backside of the plates show A5 401L and A5 401R. Could be a part number but a quick search on internet revealed darn near nothing.

Anyone seen these before? TIA!

I have those on all my type ones, since my first in 1965 - aren't they, the best? Also, you have the better - more rigid type - the genuine VW ones - enjoy -z

Chickensoup Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 pm

theres a og paint 60-63 beetle in the woods where i live. it has those awsome dealer installed sills. owner wont sell it tho. makes me mad. i think about it weekly. weap weap :cry:

Zundfolge1432 Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 pm

I grabbed these up years ago from cars going to crusher. The full set is actually 3 pieces, the sill plate, a suff plate near lower door hinge and one scuff that covers lower corner on interior of door. I put a complete set on my 74. So this is what I have left. Then thereís the NOS stuff I canít remember where it came from and it looks older like 60s.

They were still making this stuff into the early 70s Iím sure because the ones I salvaged all came from them. I also remember seeing them available from J C Whip me. 😀