TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lazy Battery Light Fix for Vanagon
Italjohn Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:39 am

Anyone know what's inside this kit from Gowesty?
It looks like a big resistor?
How does it work?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/24031/alternator-charge-initiation-kit?v=

a2wolfsburggli Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:17 am

Looks like a fix for something that's not really a problem.

jlrftype7 Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:29 am

I thought it was a capacitor kit.

Italjohn Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:38 am

I think it's a resistor in parallel with the red led on the dash?

crazyvwvanman Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:46 am

That is the right idea but it is installed in the engine compartment wiring box where there is a stock black wire from circuit 15 and a stock small blue wire to the alternator field winding connector.

Mark

jlrftype7 Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:43 pm

crazyvwvanman wrote: That is the right idea but it is installed in the engine compartment wiring box where there is a stock black wire from circuit 15 and a stock small blue wire to the alternator field winding connector.

Mark In that schematic, it appears to show a resistor from the factory already in the cluster , parallel with the excite/ warning bulb circuit.
How does putting another resistor all the way back in the engine compartment wiring help with the charging delay of start up idle speed, where you need to speed up the engine with that blip of throttle to get the Alternator working. :? :?

crazyvwvanman Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:42 pm

Different versions of the instrument cluster blue foil provide different amounts of excitation current. Later versions provide more, 87+ I think.

I'm not endorsing the use of the GW device, just helping explain it.

As GW mentions in their product description there are reasons why some vans are slower than others to turn off the alternator warning light after starting the engine. I'd prefer to fix the real issue if there is one on a given van.

GoWesty aux battery relay kits are sometimes hooked up such that they add a large load to the alternator blue wire circuit so I consider this device to be something to help them with another of their products that I don't think highly of.

Mark

Italjohn Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:18 am

How does this work on modern cars, as they don't need to rew the engine to make it charge?
The alternator have still the same working way.