TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 83 Vanagon - Rear Hatch Lock Disassembly
ron1337 Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 pm

I am in the middle of disassembling all of my door locks to attempt to re-key them to use my ignition lock. Both front door locks came apart quite nicely, just need new wafers. The sliding door also came apart easily, but appears to be from a different key style, will need to order a new core.

I am totally stumped on how to get the core removed from the rear hatch lock assembly. I have the larger assembly removed, but cannot figure out how to get the core out of this part to access the wafers...(see pic)

Any tips would be appreciated.

jlrftype7 Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:13 pm

I did this. And I don’t remember what it took to disassemble the rear hatch cyl.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I had a harder time getting the cyl back into the Hatch hole and lined up with the mounting holes, THAT part, I remember.

ron1337 Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:32 am

note to self...take lots of pictures...lol

If you happen to remember please post back so I can get this portion of the rebuild back on track..not really wanting to buy a brand new lock if not absolutely necessary.

I did find a wholesaler (https://www.plsgroup.com/r&h/) that had some replacement wafers and springs for the locks though. Once I complete this stage I will have about 20-25 of each wafer size (there are only 4 wafer size options) and 30-40 springs left over. Will be pretty easy to throw them in the mail for anyone else stuck at this stage.

jlrftype7 Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:50 am

ron1337 wrote: note to self...take lots of pictures...lol

If you happen to remember please post back so I can get this portion of the rebuild back on track..not really wanting to buy a brand new lock if not absolutely necessary.

I did find a wholesaler (https://www.plsgroup.com/r&h/) that had some replacement wafers and springs for the locks though. Once I complete this stage I will have about 20-25 of each wafer size (there are only 4 wafer size options) and 30-40 springs left over. Will be pretty easy to throw them in the mail for anyone else stuck at this stage. Show me the back side of the Lock Cyl. , might refresh my memory. Post that picture and I'll take a look. Did a search and found this thread- This seems to jog my memory. I think I had to tap the roll pin out with a tiny roll pin punch, and with the key in the lock, remove the inner cyl section and the tumblers then got either swapped out, or slightly ground down if there was a clearance issue even with another tumbler installed.
Insert inner section back into the outer housing, and reinstall that Roll Pin.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=603495&highlight=rear+hatch+lock+cylinder

ron1337 Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:52 am

jlrftype7 wrote: Show me the back side of the Lock Cyl. , might refresh my memory. Post that picture and I'll take a look.

I added two more pictures to the original post for you. I read through the links and didn't find anything specific to the rear hatch assembly, but maybe I am simply reading over it and not realizing. In one of my pictures there does appear to be a pin that is about 3mm (1/8") diameter, significantly larger that the front door pins were....

I have a sinking feeling that I will need a key for this lock to be able to access the 1/16 split pin...hope that isn't the case.

jlrftype7 Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:27 am

ron1337 wrote: jlrftype7 wrote: Show me the back side of the Lock Cyl. , might refresh my memory. Post that picture and I'll take a look.

I added two more pictures to the original post for you. I read through the links and didn't find anything specific to the rear hatch assembly, but maybe I am simply reading over it and not realizing. In one of my pictures there does appear to be a pin that is about 3mm (1/8") diameter, significantly larger that the front door pins were....

I have a sinking feeling that I will need a key for this lock to be able to access the 1/16 split pin...hope that isn't the case. A second look at your new pictures, and I don't think my '84 has exactly the same rear hatch lock as yours.
I would wait for someone else to post a better bit of info for you, before you damage anything. I know VW changed the Rear Hatch button and probably the cyl through the years, I thought there were 3 variations to it. Could be wrong.
If you put your key into the lock cyl. does it at least go all the way down?

ron1337 Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:06 am

The key fits all the way in to all of the locks except the sliding door. I'm looking into getting a new key cut to match the lock code on the cores as the front 2 and rear doors all have the same code. The sliding door will probably need a replacement core.

coniferou5 Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:34 am

I know this is an old thread, but just in case somebody gets stumped like I was yesterday:

Remove the circlip along the base of the "finger". Then unlock the core with the key, and then drive the pin out of the metal "finger" while suppressing the spring. You may need to clean off the area around the pin to see it. Mine was covered in 40 years of gunk leaving it hidden.

Insert key and pull the core out! :D