TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Choices to turn it better
8bit Innovations Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:12 pm

The steering box on my 67 bug needs some replacing. Is it better to get a rebuilt one from the classifieds or should I get a new one from jbugs??[/s]

Danwvw Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:55 pm

I would stick with the original ones. Have yours rebuilt or exchanged for a rebuilt. 67 Should be easy to find.

runamoc Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:49 am

some folks think because there is a lot of steering wheel 'play' at both extremes of turning that something is wrong with the steering box and decide to replace it. Then are surprised/disappointed that the replacement one does too. Just sayin' 8)

Sharp64 Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:11 am

runamoc wrote: some folks think because there is a lot of steering wheel 'play' at both extremes of turning that something is wrong with the steering box and decide to replace it. Then are surprised/disappointed that the replacement one does too. Just sayin' 8)

Yep.

Check all your components to make sure everything is within torque specs before buying a new box. I thought the one on my buggy was shot until I realized literally nothing was tightened to spec.

8bit Innovations Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:26 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. By the way, is this leak proof of a shot steering box or is it something else?? And which one of the former options (rebuilt or new) is more likely to repeat the problem??

mukluk Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:42 pm

That leak is proof the pitman shaft seal is bad, the box itself may still be otherwise fine. What specific problem do you have that you feel the box needs to be replaced?

8bit Innovations Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:54 pm

mukluk wrote: That leak is proof the pitman shaft seal is bad, the box itself may still be otherwise fine. What specific problem do you have that you feel the box needs to be replaced?

There is excessive play in the steering column and at high speeds it is hard to keep driving straight. I have already ruled out tire and rim alignment.

mukluk Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:55 pm

8bit Innovations wrote: mukluk wrote: That leak is proof the pitman shaft seal is bad, the box itself may still be otherwise fine. What specific problem do you have that you feel the box needs to be replaced?

There is excessive play in the steering column and at high speeds it is hard to keep driving straight. I have already ruled out tire and rim alignment.
Before condemning the steering box in this case you need to first look for any play in the ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, front axle and steering fasteners, and ensure the steering box is adjusted. With the steering box being the most robust component in the system, only when you have eliminated all other possibilities should you entertain replacing it.

As noted earlier, first make sure all fasteners on the front end are properly torqued. Next, to properly inspect the front end you need two people: one turns the steering wheel back and forth while the other looks and feels for slop or play in all the possible wear points. If no play is found in the parts external to the steering box, then next adjust the box itself -- do not just tighten the small screw in the box cover. This is the most common error made and will quickly ruin a steering gear. The proper way to adjust out play in the box is via the large worm adjustment plug; the small screw's purpose is primarily to adjust the overcenter drag torque.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452631

Zundfolge1432 Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Wow I read that link. One guy billyfoot went right for the top adjustment screw, probably ruined that box. Then you got guys using thick cork gaskets and whatever grease or oil feels right to them. It’s a good read on what not to do. but I’d read this as it’s more up to date and follows the manuals more closely.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446&highlight=steering+gearbox

8bit Innovations Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:56 pm

mukluk wrote: 8bit Innovations wrote: mukluk wrote: That leak is proof the pitman shaft seal is bad, the box itself may still be otherwise fine. What specific problem do you have that you feel the box needs to be replaced?

Before condemning the steering box in this case you need to first look for any play in the ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, front axle and steering fasteners, and ensure the steering box is adjusted. With the steering box being the most robust component in the system, only when you have eliminated all other possibilities should you entertain replacing it.

As noted earlier, first make sure all fasteners on the front end are properly torqued. Next, to properly inspect the front end you need two people: one turns the steering wheel back and forth while the other looks and feels for slop or play in all the possible wear points. If no play is found in the parts external to the steering box, then next adjust the box itself -- do not just tighten the small screw in the box cover. This is the most common error made and will quickly ruin a steering gear. The proper way to adjust out play in the box is via the large worm adjustment plug; the small screw's purpose is primarily to adjust the overcenter drag torque.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452631

Nice suggestions, but I already tried adjusting the worm plug and didn’t get good results. I have seen that one can adjust the steering box but there will be a point where the steering will feel too stiff. Mine did just like that, a snall adjustment made the whole thing too stiff, which leads me to believe that the previous owner tried adjusting it to no avail. Is it possible that they accidentally turned the wrong screw and ended up damaging the steering box??

mukluk Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 pm

Admittedly it wasn't the best thread to link to, but it was brief and somewhat got the gist of things across. I find most people won't willingly dig through a thread that's more than a few pages to find information.

Quote: Nice suggestions, but I already tried adjusting the worm plug and didn’t get good results.
Previously you only mentioned "tire and rim alignment" as things you'd tried -- it helps if you provide all information as to what's been done. Back to the point made earlier, have you checked for loose fasteners and looked for slop or play in all the other listed components?

8bit Innovations Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:22 pm

mukluk wrote: Admittedly it wasn't the best thread to link to, but it was brief and somewhat got the gist of things across. I find most people won't willingly dig through a thread that's more than a few pages to find information.

Quote: Nice suggestions, but I already tried adjusting the worm plug and didn’t get good results.
Previously you only mentioned "tire and rim alignment" as things you'd tried -- it helps if you provide all information as to what's been done. Back to the point made earlier, have you checked for loose fasteners and looked for slop or play in all the other listed components?

Okey, thanks for the suggestion. On the morning I’ll work on it.

8bit Innovations Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for helping me out on this one!

Zundfolge1432 Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:32 am

mukluk wrote: Admittedly it wasn't the best thread to link to, but it was brief and somewhat got the gist of things across. I find most people won't willingly dig through a thread that's more than a few pages to find information.

Isn’t that the truth and at 21 pages it’s overwhelming. The sad part is as these cars age steering box issues are going to become more prevalent. TRW and some generic Chinese replacements are what’s available now or you can rebuild your original if it’s not too far gone. Some of the parts are NLA for the later model box and the early box is a no go. No parts available. Eventually someone will step in to the breach if there’s enough demand. In the meantime I’d stash an extra if you can while you can find them.

8bit Innovations Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Well guys, once again I thank you all for helping me over here. However, I still have a doubt. If my 67 bug has a stock steering lock, do I need a special steering box or will a normal one lock too??

mukluk Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:59 pm

The ignition/steering lock function is located in the column, the steering box itself has absolutely nothing to do with that.

8bit Innovations Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 pm

mukluk wrote: The ignition/steering lock function is located in the column, the steering box itself has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Thanks for clearing the doubt!! I was confused because there were some steering boxes in the classifieds that were listed as locking, therefore causing confusion. Once again, thanks to you and everyone else for helping me over here!!!