TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone tried bus-ok early Vanagon wallpaper product? Page: 1, 2  Next
sphet Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:15 pm

I am planning on replacing the peeling wallpaper in my Vanagon and was leaning towards using Tolex, but while looking around the internet I found that bus-ok in Europe is carrying a reproduction wallpaper of their own production. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Obviously I would rather not install it if it is just going to shrink and peel like the previous paper. However, this would also mean I don't have to replace the paper that is just fine behind the kitchen.

https://bus-ok.nl/T25-Westfalia-Trim-Panel-Headlin...25m-x-125m

S

plummerdesign Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:20 pm

THIS is cool!
Gotta look more OEM than Tolex (which I have used a lot), but what adhesive is called for? The deal is that OEM is applied like a laminate. How is this great looking product applied?
: )

sphet Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:53 pm

plummerdesign wrote: THIS is cool!
Gotta look more OEM than Tolex (which I have used a lot), but what adhesive is called for? The deal is that OEM is applied like a laminate. How is this great looking product applied?

Itís unclear what the adhesive is - the three vendors in UK/EU just have the same description with no details. Iíll email and see. Shipping to Canada is not cheap.

When youíve done your past vans (which look great!), how many meters/yards do you think you need? Tolex is pretty affordable but this not so much. But it really looks stock.

S

MarkWard Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:26 am

I donít have pictures, but I removed all the vinyl. I took a piece to Home Depot and had them color match it. I left the adhesive in place. I painted the panels with Kiltz and then painted. Itís held up for years. It has the texture of the original. You canít tell itís not original.

Ahwahnee Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:53 am

Nice catch... I had not seen either this product or that site.

sphet Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am

plummerdesign wrote: THIS is cool!

Hereís a link they provided to blog post installing it. My german is ... eh rusty? Google translate seemed to go well enough.

https://blog.bus-ok.de/community/montagehilfen/t2-...anleitung/

Spray on 3M adhesive 80 (yellow), roll it to make it even, on both panel and paper. With a helper, apply with hard roller incrementally to remove wrinkles and then weigh down with tires for 3 days. This seems contrary a bit to how contact cements are supposed to work. Cut edges after the three days.

So their instructions suggest not to wrap the panel, identical to the original panels. I'm not sure i wouldn't want to wrap so any shrinkage isn't visible.

They also suggest cutting a new panel. I have existing panels I would like to recover as well as certain surfaces that cannot be replaced (headbanger and flip-down bed bottom). I wonder how to prepare those for re-application?

In correspondence the employee at bus-ok indicated that you *have* to use new wood. You cannot use 30 year old wood. This is a bit frustrating as I am not going to rebuild my headbanger cupboard from scratch, nor my bed, nor all the panels that are just fine. My slider panel took too many tries already!

MarkWard Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Ok, I went out and took a picture of my original painted panels to show how nice it can come out with minimal effort. I used a heat gun for the stubborn vinyl. The panels I could remove I did to reduce chance of mess. The rear cabinet and bed undersides were painted in place. Sorry for the poor quality. Its raining.

sphet Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:27 pm

MarkWard wrote: Ok, I went out and took a picture of my original painted panels to show how nice it can come out with minimal effort. I used a heat gun for the stubborn vinyl. The panels I could remove I did to reduce chance of mess. The rear cabinet and bed undersides were painted in place. Sorry for the poor quality. Its raining.

Mark,

That looks great! I wish I could go that route. However, as you can see from my panels, there's not much to save. All my panels have some level of damage to them. I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?

I heard some more from Campervan Culture. They say this is an identical product so I suspect it will shrink again over time. However, if I can get 10 or 15 years out of a new set of interior panels, that's pretty good.

Bermoco Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 pm

This topic is of great interest to me as I recently brought my 82 JX turbo diesel Westy out of mothballs to actually use it to go camping. It needs a good cleaning but what I would like to do is replace the peeling interior panels.

I received a quote from Sewfine interior products but I am not sure it is everything to completely replace the entire interior but will find out. They do not make the front headliner panel because of the size but suggested to make a new one from 1/8 plywood and cover it with new material that they sell and can ship easily.

It has been a while since I posted anything about my 82 Westy. Just a quick review about this van. I bought it non operational after the owner decided to sell it because he was moving. It has a 1.6 JX turbodiesel motor in it that had a recent injection pump rebuild but barely had any power and essentially non operational.

Towed it to a rural property where I can store all my "projects."
On the way up there I stopped to fill the tank on the vanagon and when I opened the fuel cap I noticed that something did not smell right and did not add fuel. When I had time to look at the fuel it was contaminated with gasoline. Cleaned it all out and got it to run reasonably well but it was still very underpowered. Found that the LDA fuel enrichment device on the injection pump was defective and replaced it. It is running much better but the plan is to replace it with an AHU eventually. For 2 years it has been on hold as I took on a new job that has consumed a lot of time but is now much more manageable and decided to bring it home to clean up and to start using it.

Up until this time the maximum distance I had driven this van was approximately 10 miles until yesterday, I drove it from the foohills in California back to the Bay Area. I was pleasantly surprised how well it ran and even though it was a bit pokey over some of the grades it was very acceptable and do not feel the need to replace the motor for the few trips I will be taking the summer and fall.

I definately want to clean up my interior and if Sewfine makes a good product and is plug and play I would like to take that route. Am by no means in favor of throwing money at things but this is one of the few times I have money but little time. Anybody gone the Sewfine route?

MarkWard Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:42 am

If you look at the rear hatch, youíll notice some metal fasteners. Itís a panel I made using the original as a template. I also made a new panel for the sliding door. I used the old one as a template to. I bought the wood from Home Depot. I believe it was sold as interior door skin. All the other panels got my paint treatment.

Steve M. Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:22 am

When I read the post title I thought about vinyl wrapping a picture of a Bus over the outside of s Vanagon...somebody remind me not to look at the forum when I first wake up and haven't had coffee yet! 😴

wbailey2112 Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:49 pm

We used MDF bead board to make replacement panels for the hatch and slider using what was left of the old panels for templates. Took one of the tables into our local Sherwin-Williams for a computer paint match. Also painted the front bunk board with the paint since the ďwall paperĒ was long gone from it too. Very happy with the results and the color match.

MarkWard Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 am

This showed up in my email yesterday from Go Westy. Weird timing. Or is it?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/trim-panels-clips/24879/birch-ply-interior-panel-bundle-westfalia?v=

SyncroHead Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm

sphet wrote: I am planning on replacing the peeling wallpaper in my Vanagon and was leaning towards using Tolex, but while looking around the internet I found that bus-ok in Europe is carrying a reproduction wallpaper of their own production. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Obviously I would rather not install it if it is just going to shrink and peel like the previous paper. However, this would also mean I don't have to replace the paper that is just fine behind the kitchen.

https://bus-ok.nl/T25-Westfalia-Trim-Panel-Headlin...25m-x-125m

S

This seems to be a reproduction of the wall paper (wallpaper) used in USA-spec Vanagons from about 1982-1984. I've found this material at both Bus-ok.nl and at Bus-ok.de, but hoping to find a USA source.

Anyone know of one?

sphet Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:17 pm

SyncroHead, I did talk to Buslab about bringing this in. I spoke with Graham (I think?) and he mentioned that due to its size it would have to come in on a pallet and they would add it onto their next big order. I was going to then have it shipped to Vancouver. Covid got in the way and it's fallen off my list. If you do contact him and he is going to bring it in can you PM me and I will add onto the order.

S

[email protected] Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:35 pm

is this the same stuff?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/2322/trim-panel-headliner-material-

don't waste your time with bus(less) depot. they never have anything in stock...ever.

anyway, I found that stuff at bus.ok but haven't bought it yet. I have been happy with them in the past, so I think it's worth a shot

SyncroHead Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:47 pm

[email protected] wrote: is this the same stuff?

Thanks! Here's a pic of the GW headliner material you linked This is definitely different and headliner material is generally much thicker than this cabinet wallpaper.

GW material:

sphet Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:05 pm

[email protected] wrote: is this the same stuff?

don't waste your time with bus(less) depot. they never have anything in stock...ever.

anyway, I found that stuff at bus.ok but haven't bought it yet. I have been happy with them in the past, so I think it's worth a shot

I contacted bus.ok directly some months ago and the cost of shipping it was prohibitive because it was over sized stock. They suggested going through Bus Lab.

[email protected] Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 pm

so, what exactly is "1,24m"?

is it 1.24 meters? or 124 meters?

I couldn't imagine it being 1m wide by 124m long....that would be 3'x406'

even at 1m (3') by 1.24m (4') it wouldn't be wide enough to do the cab section in 1 piece

that said, go westy would be a better deal.

and then there is this:

https://fashionfabricla.com/products/white-basket-...t_campaign

and this

https://www.ifabric.com/products/white-basket-weave-upholstery-vinyl-fabric

https://jjautofabrics.com/volkswagen-basketweave-pattern-gray-vinyl-54-sold-by-the-continuous-yard/

granted, it's not the thin stuff but I bets it out there if you look long enough. knowing what the stuff was called (like the technical term for wall paper I guess?) I bet you can find it somewhere

I also thought this was interesting

https://www.homebase.co.uk/superfresco-weave-paintable-wallpaper-white_p516253

same with this. I bet this material can be had by the yard. fawn looks close

https://www.opgi.com/interior-accessories/headline...hsw24.html

Yellow Rabbit Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:51 pm

[email protected] wrote: so, what exactly is "1,24m"?

is it 1.24 meters? or 124 meters?

Itís common to use a comma for a decimal in Europe. Itís 1.24 meters or about 48 13/16Ē