TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front End Alignment
frankydee Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Thing front end on a 73 bug. 235/15 KO2's. What am I shooting for? Taking it into a local alignment shop in the morning. Thanks

Caster 7-10 degrees?

Toe?

Camber?

mr_bill Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:27 pm

THIS is what I set front/rear on my CLASS 11 Bug.....drives as straight as can be !!

frankydee Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:23 am

OK, everything all aligned, front and rear. Now......

What about tire pressures? BFG 31 9.5 15 rear 235 15 front.

Before the alignment the car wondered, way better now but I want to get the pressure right to eliminate that variable also before I blame any remaining wonder issue on the steering box adjustment. BTW, new tie rods, ball joints and rebuilt box.

Thanks

frankydee Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:19 pm

anyone please?

Busstom Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:13 pm

If your Beetle isn't particularly heavier than a stock Beetle, then why not try the stock pressure recommendations? I can't imagine high pressures would help offroad, I always thought people aired down for the trails. And too hard of tires would seem to increase potential for wandering. Oh, about that, it's wAnder, not wOnder.

This is wondering > :-k

mr_bill Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:06 pm

on my 11x car....I have 10psi in the fronts & 15psi in the rears...this is for STREET driving......I can turn loose of the wheel & car just goes STRAIGHT... :)

this is heading up CAJON PASS on the way to Barstow

dirtkeeper Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:24 pm

mr_bill wrote: on my 11x car....I have 10psi in the fronts & 15psi in the rears...this is for STREET driving......I can turn loose of the wheel & car just goes STRAIGHT... :)

this is heading up CAJON PASS on the way to Barstow

That sounds low but I might try it. Is that without a load? I have mine at 16 in the front and 20 in The back and rides pretty well when the car is fully loaded My sidewalls are pretty stiff just wasn’t sure how low to go and still safe. Definitely rides better at the pressure I have then
After the tire shop had once pumped mine up to like 35 pounds it was terrible and took me awhile to figure out what they did.

How much do you drop when in the dirt?
I am running different tires front , Yokohama and rear bfg

frankydee Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:41 am

Busstom wrote: If your Beetle isn't particularly heavier than a stock Beetle, then why not try the stock pressure recommendations? I can't imagine high pressures would help offroad, I always thought people aired down for the trails. And too hard of tires would seem to increase potential for wandering. Oh, about that, it's wAnder, not wOnder.

This is wondering > :-k

The car wondered why it wouldn't track straight.....

Busstom Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:15 pm

:lol: :) ^^^