TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Harsh ride
74 standard Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:46 pm

I’ve got a set of WW shocks on the front and I am finding the ride kinda rough. If I remember right when I ordered them they were said to be similar to the original ride. Any recommendations for shocks or other ways to soften it up a bit?

joemama Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Looked on their website, doesnt say if they are oil filled, or gas. You want just oil filled. Also very important that you run the correct air pressure on your tires, 18 front, 28 rear. Also, you dont say if your bug is stock, what tires, or if its lowered.

mukluk Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 pm

It'd also be useful to know if the harsh ride is something new or not, ie, did it change right after installing the WW shocks or some other maintenance was performed.

74 standard Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:51 am

Stock ride height, aftermarket beam adjusted to stock height, stock springs. Sway bar has aftermarket clamps on it and I do wonder if that isn’t limiting travel somewhat. I never considered tire pressure. I’ll double check that. And these are the first shocks I’ve had on it so nothing to compare to.

ashman40 Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:06 am

74 standard wrote: Stock ride height, aftermarket beam adjusted to stock height, stock springs. Sway bar has aftermarket clamps on it and I do wonder if that isn’t limiting travel somewhat.
Does your new beam use stock needle bearings or have they been replaced with poly bushings? Sometimes poly bushings fit so tightly they increase friction for the rotating torsion arms, stiffening the front end.
If using needle bearings, have you greased the top/bottom grease fittings on both sides? You pump grease in until it starts to ooze out around the end seals.

Another thing you can look at is how stiff is the suspension with and without the shocks installed. The function of the shocks is not to make the suspension stiff, only dampen the bounce. If, with the shocks removed, the front end is just as stiff you know it is NOT the shocks causing it. You might even consider a short (low speed) drive w/o shocks to see how it feels. Just be ready to stop quickly if the bouncing gets excessive. High speed driving w/o shocks can be dangerous so keeps the speeds down.

74 standard Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:37 pm

It has needle bearings. And I have greased the beam.

mikec4193 Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:06 am

Hi 74 Standard

I have found with the daily drivers that we currently run around town in...they ride so much better than anything older ever dreamed of driving like...my 13 year old Chevy rides better than these Beetles do...

yes I am sure you can tweak it to help but ...but it is a really old car....I think and I am as guilty as any of them...we compare our daily drivers to these vehicles and it is like night and day really...

Good luck with improvements and please let us know how it worked out for you...

MikeC

baldessariclan Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:53 am

74 standard wrote: Stock ride height, aftermarket beam adjusted to stock height, stock springs. Sway bar has aftermarket clamps on it and I do wonder if that isn’t limiting travel somewhat. I never considered tire pressure. I’ll double check that. And these are the first shocks I’ve had on it so nothing to compare to.
Definitely try with correct tire pressures first, and then recommend tyring with sway bar removed, to see if those clamps you mentioned might be a culprit.

But otherwise (as commenter above noted), while the Beetle's suspension system may have been adequate or even advanced by 1930's/40's standards, compared to today's cars I've heard the ride best described as "slightly better than an ox cart" -- ha! I also find on some roads that the springs in the seats seem to be almost as much a part of the active suspension system as the torsion bars themselves... :-)

Anyway, maybe try slowing down a bit on the rougher stuff, and enjoy the ride -- you'll likely get used to it after a while.

74 standard Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:32 pm

I dropped the front tire pressures to 18 from 26 and it made quite a difference. Thanks for the tip! It never crossed my mind. There still may be room for improvement but for now I'm quite happy with the change.

Gr0unded Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:20 pm

74 standard wrote: I dropped the front tire pressures to 18 from 26 and it made quite a difference. Thanks for the tip! It never crossed my mind. There still may be room for improvement but for now I'm quite happy with the change.
Been curious to try a set of these for my '76. The current set which are KYB Black shocks I find a bit too firm as it seems like I can feel the slightest imperfections on the road.
Kudos on the tire pressures, they make a nice difference.

54bug Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi All

Interesting topic and interesting replies. After rebuilding my 1969 Beetle, I found the ride too harsh. My car had Bilstein Gas shocks on all 4 corners. It also had a narrowed lowered front beam with stock Ghia spindles, disk brakes, and a 3/4 sway away bar. Rear was redone with Sway Away adjustable spring plates, an Eyeball Engineering Torque bar, a 3/4 rear sway bar, and a Gene Berg middle transmission mount. Wheels were 2 liter Porsche with 205-60-15's inthe rear, 195-50 15 on the front. Rear was lowered about an inch and the front 1.5 inches. Nothing crazy but all new and rebuilt.

The ride was way to stiff, even when the tire pressure was adjusted. Front shocks were changed to lowered oil shocks, which made a huge difference. Rear shocks were swapped to KYB Gas adjust. The ride is very firm, but acceptable. I love the handling, but the compromise can wear you down after several hours on the road.

Where you drive the car makes a huge difference. It's pleasant to drive in town and on 2 lane roads. On East Coast Freeways, traffic moves fast, and the roads are worn with a lot of rough seams. I would prefer to avoid the the speed and chop on worn freeways.

Keep in mind where you drive and what you need. Life is full of compromises. Think carefully before you buy.

Scott