TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Largest tire on stock IRS transaxle Page: 1, 2  Next
Pez Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:22 am

As the title asks. If I run bone stock. 1600dp, 3:88 R&P. Which tire would you recommend be the largest you would go with? Would a 205/75r15 be to large?

Little back story, picked up a 73 recently with the goal of turning into a mild Baja, but to my surprise the aprons are very solid. So the direction I was going changed a bit too a more Class 11-ish car. The ultimate goal is a gravel and forest road exploration vehicle with commuting as primary use. My search for the perfect tire lead me to chatting with another member who was kind enough to share his personal experiences and recommended a 4:37 R&P for 215/75r15's. This got me hunting and appears Weddle no longer has 4:37 R&P's for sale, I could convert to swing axle or start looking for a 002 (actually found one semi-local that's within my budget) Another option is switch out my current transaxle (3:88) for a 69-71 4:12 which would get me headed in the right direction?

Thanks for the help guys 🤙

Quick Edit: Found this thread on transmission's while searching for seat ideas? Like this one better than the Transmission for Dummies Sticky
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492880&highlight=seat+options

egalrubug Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:39 am

I've got 235 - 75 on the rear of mine and 205 - 70 on the front. It's a 73 with a 1600dp and a 3.88 r&p. No problems thus far, but I've only had it on the road (and off-road) as a baja since the middle of June. I have a Baja kit on mine so I don't have any clearance issues. I drove this car in college before it was a baja with stock tires and it drives now like it did then, do there's no real noticable change with the larger tires.

Double-Double Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 am

Are you lifting it at all or turning torsion?

Pez Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:09 pm

That's comforting as 235/75 is far bigger than anything I'd ever really want to run so 205/75 shouldn't be a huge issue I would think.

Waiting on adjusters to come in from Chirco and going to just re-index the rear so fitment shouldn't be an issue.

Double-Double Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Pez wrote: That's comforting as 235/75 is far bigger than anything I'd ever really want to run so 205/75 shouldn't be a huge issue I would think.

Waiting on adjusters to come in from Chirco and going to just re-index the rear so fitment shouldn't be an issue.

These are 215/75R15 on my Class 11 Style Baja Iím building.

Pez Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Double-Double wrote: Pez wrote: That's comforting as 235/75 is far bigger than anything I'd ever really want to run so 205/75 shouldn't be a huge issue I would think.

And they are gonna look goooood man, your build a Mr. Bill's car is what prompted me to hold off a apron hacking and try Class 11. What transmission/engine do you plan on running?

TDCTDI Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I currently have 215/75/15 BFGs on rear & 205/75/15 General Grabber on the front. The General Grabbers wore fairly quickly due to an alignment issue (43k miles) caused by incorrectly mounted ďsensor headsĒ at the alignment shop. The Grabbers have better wet weather traction on slick asphalt than the BFGs.

Double-Double Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:38 pm

Pez wrote: Double-Double wrote: Pez wrote: That's comforting as 235/75 is far bigger than anything I'd ever really want to run so 205/75 shouldn't be a huge issue I would think.

And they are gonna look goooood man, your build a Mr. Bill's car is what prompted me to hold off a apron hacking and try Class 11. What transmission/engine do you plan on running?

Just had my transmission rebuilt and upgraded at Strictly Foreign to a super-Street freeway flyer. Itís the stock 4.12 ratio, but with a super-diff and a 0.82 overdrive since I plan on moving to Southern Utah and they have 75mph freeways there. My car is being built to cruise on the freeway to get to national parks and then equally as well handle the dirt and forest roads around ghost towns and such to find nice fishing holes. Basically itís a VW Subaru Crosstrek haha. Also here is the chart of my gear ratios and RPMs. Motor wise I am debating between rebuilding the 1600 or upgrading to 1776. Either way will still be single port for reliability and toughness of the heads since it gets so hot there. I also like the low end torque. Also just so you are aware mine is not stock ride height it is lifted via Thing front suspension and Atomwerks spring plates in the rear so that helps as well but I keep the same ride softness.

Double-Double Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm

TDCTDI wrote: I currently have 215/75/15 BFGs on rear & 205/75/15 General Grabber on the front. The General Grabbers wore fairly quickly due to an alignment issue (43k miles) caused by incorrectly mounted ďsensor headsĒ at the alignment shop. The Grabbers have better wet weather traction on slick asphalt than the BFGs.

I have heard this about the General vs BFG as well before. Ultimately I wanted the stronger sidewalk of the BFG because I doubt I will have mine running while Iím still in Oregon before I head to the Southwest.

Pez Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Double-Double wrote: Pez wrote: Double-Double wrote: Pez wrote: That's comforting as 235/75 is far bigger than anything I'd ever really want to run so 205/75 shouldn't be a huge issue I would think.

Just had my transmission rebuilt and upgraded at Strictly Foreign to a super-Street freeway flyer. Itís the stock 4.12 ratio, but with a super-diff and a 0.82 overdrive since I plan on moving to Southern Utah and they have 75mph freeways there. My car is being built to cruise on the freeway to get to national parks and then equally as well handle the dirt and forest roads around ghost towns and such to find nice fishing holes. Basically itís a VW Subaru Crosstrek haha. Also here is the chart of my gear ratios and RPMs. Motor wise I am debating between rebuilding the 1600 or upgrading to 1776. Either way will still be single port for reliability and toughness of the heads since it gets so hot there. I also like the low end torque. Also just so you are aware mine is not stock ride height it is lifted via Thing front suspension and Atomwerks spring plates in the rear so that helps as well but I keep the same ride softness.

Dude that thing is mint! I checked out SF's price list and they are surprisingly well priced. If I can get another project done and gone I'm gonna give them a try. I did find a 1776 local that I may be able to talk down and supposedly 1776 for dirt cheap (scary!) So I may head that route and potentially copy your build on the transmission. And yeah I'm putting adjusters in and re-indexing which should get me close until I can source Thing parts.

Double-Double Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:54 pm

I got my thing parts from Michael at Thing Parts. He is on the classifieds. Sometimes he calls it a type-1 3Ē lift kit or something like that. If I remember right it was like $500 for the spindles, and upper and lower control arms. I cleaned them up, painted them in Steel-It and put new German ball joints in. If you got an hour or so check out my build thread or search for class-11 in the off-road forum there are a lot of them on here like SunroofRX I believe itís called and AZ-Bug (now Matt I think). I might be one of the only dudes crazy enough to do it piece by piece though so it might help you out with ideas or parts you might want to purchase.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727076&highlight=

dirtkeeper Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:05 am

With a 1600 I would keep my tires as small as possible. I had 30Ē tires on my bug when I first built it. It was a dog and cooled poorly. And difficult to go slow with any power. To get the engine to turn the tires in the rough got to rev up and spin emí and that works but not always well. Now with stroker I can turn my 29Ē tires with low rpm power. Still canít ďcrawlĒ but way better. I have a 4.37 ring and pinion in a 70í transaxle.

Rear wheels 28.5 inches at 75 mph 32 to 3400 RPMs

Mal evolent Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 am

Keep this in mind: tires are levers. You are thinking of longer lever requires lower gears. This is true. What did not occur to me: those longer levers are harder to stop, because they produce more torque at the brakes. Oversized tires require oversized brakes.

Consider the benefits of rear disks or type 3 drums

Big Al Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:24 pm

I have a hot rod mid engine sand rail. Has a large fuel injected Type 4 engine and a swing axle set up, 3.88 gears. Has 31 inch tires on it and first gear is a bit too high for normal starts. Either slip the clutch or spin the tires. My regular rail has 4.11's with the same tire and is much better.

The difference between 3.88 and 4.10 is not much on paper but it is in the real world. I actually feel something like 4.56's would be better yet.

Al

spaught Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:44 am

I'm running 235/75R15 all around on my Baja. Clearance is good (short torsion bars on the back would clear that up). The Baja kit means I don't have to worry about fender clearance. Stock 1600CC. Will do 70mph on the highway, and if you keep the revs up a bit to stay in the power band it has no problem running through the bush either...

Double-Double Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:48 am

You can run 235/75R15 on a class-11 style but it will require modifications on the front fenders when at steering lock to lock. Probably also where the floorpan and body bolt together too so I would still suggest 215/75R15 for a class-11. The skinnier tires will drove better and get better gas mileage also.

spaught Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 am

You need to adjust your steeting stops as well or you'll rub on the inside at full lock.

Axitech Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 am

Iím running 33x12.5- 15ís on a stock type 1 in a street rail. No issues. 80 mph at 3200 rpm all day!

Double-Double Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:12 am

You guys realize that he stated he is doing a class-11 style right?

Axitech Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:04 am

Having no clue what a Class11 is, I merely answered his question.