TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Finding TDC on AAZ mated to DK transaxle Page: 1, 2  Next
treatland Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:00 pm

AAZ diesel guys out there, how do you go about verifying that the crank is at TDC when doing a timing belt job when the engine is mated to an 091 transaxle? i'm getting ready to pull the giles tuned pump off my spare motor and swap it onto the existing motor in my westy and want to make sure it all goes smoothly.

Also, it looks like space is a bit tight between the back of the engine and engine bay. Is it possible to pull this off with the engine in place? Or is it too much of a headache and worth it just to pull it? thanks in advance.

?Waldo? Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:24 pm

What clutch kit is installed? If it is the stock 1.6D, 1.6TD clutch (likely) then you do it just like the Bentley says.

You can easily change the injection pump with the engine in place. It would be far more work to pull the engine in order to swap the injection pump.

treatland Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:04 pm

i was in there a while back swapping out the DZ trans for the DK i acquired. it was a sachs clutch that i'm assuming is the regular old 1.6d clutch. most likely im over thinking all this and can just follow the bentley procedure.

it was a couple years ago that i slapped the DK on... the viewing window is in the same location correct? i dont have my bentley in front of me so i'll need to check that out tomorrow as i have no clue what lines up with what to determine tdc. im assuming its a mark on the flywheel and a notch or arrow in the transaxle viewing window?

?Waldo? Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:23 pm

If you installed a DK you must have swapped the diesel bell housing onto it. The timing mark is in the bell housing, so it is indeed the same. There is a plug in the bell housing. With that removed you can see a pointer on the bell housing and the timing mark on the pressure plate is a v-notch. You'll also want to pull the valve cover to make sure you are at TDC for #1 instead of #4. The Bentley procedure for the 1.6 should all be the same.

treatland Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:36 pm

ahhh yes of course! i completely forgot that i swapped the input shaft and the bellhousing onto the DK prior to sending it off to get rebuilt. when it came back, the rebuilder had painted the engine transaxle and bellhousing. well this makes everything much easier. thanks for clarifying.

MarkWard Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:33 am

I would verify you have the mark and itís correct before you pull the belt off. Set the engine at TDC with your pump and cam locks. See if you can see the TDC mark in the bellhousing. If not, youíre going to need to do some further investigation.

Gnarlodious Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Did you get the timing specs from Giles? Because if you set it to the stock numbers it will not run optimally. If you do have the numbers please post them here. I had them once but must have lost them.

Also, the Giles powered AAZ may be too much for the stock clutch. Mine was fine at 7,000 ft elevation but at lower elevations it would suddenly start slipping on hills. Consider a stronger clutch before you put it together.

treatland Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:07 pm

"Set the timing to .95mm at TDC, any other questions pls donít hesitate to call or email. Giles"

Gnarlodious Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks, that number jogged my memory. On the topic of AAZ, some guy in Spokane has a privately built AAZ for sale cheap:
https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d/spokane-vw-diesel-engine-aaz/7142088873.html

treatland Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:29 pm

haha i could always use a third backup...i got my current backup engine with giles tuned pump and injectors for $1000. i dont know about the crankshaft keyway but figured for that price it was worth it for just the pump alone. i had recently been emailing with giles and their current price is $850 for a pump build and $84 a pop for injector rebuilds.

any suggestions on performance clutches? the stock sachs clutch is pretty wimpy.

?Waldo? Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:39 pm

At this point I think the best way to upgrade the clutch is to get the TDI Vanagon input shaft (~$100) and then get a complete TDI clutch and flywheel assembly. There are plenty of kits to choose from but any of them will hold a moderately tuned AAZ.

treatland Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:52 pm

ahh yes. i heard about this from the guy that sold me my DK transaxle. he was pretty set on using a DMF with a conversion shaft.

where can one get this shaft? i see busshop.de has them, anywhere else that's cheaper?

old_man Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:54 am

treatland wrote:

where can one get this shaft? i see busshop.de has them, anywhere else that's cheaper?

Brickwerks does as well, I think it's 75 GBPs once you take away the VAT. It's probably the exact same one busshop one sells. Shipping is what is going to get you.

If you decide to go this route you should probably start googling to decide if you want a single mass or dual mass flywheel. Lots of opinions out there.

MarkWard Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 am

Check with Christopher at T3 Technique for a shaft.

treatland Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:41 am

will do. i might pick one up to throw in my spare parts pile for the future. it's a shame i didnt have the foresight to install one when I was swapping things around prior to getting the DK rebuilt. luckily it's easy to drop the transaxle.

?Waldo? Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 am

In your situation I would just install the pump and wait for a good reason to drop the trans and swap the clutch. Maybe get the parts and be ready, but if the only issue is that the current clutch slips, you can lower the max fuel easily enough and wait for an easy opportunity for the clutch replacement.

treatland Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:27 pm

exactly. the replacement stock sachs clutch has only 800 miles on it, so i will just take it easy and in a few years maybe do the TDI conversion and re-gear.

treatland Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:52 pm

ahhh. advances in the pump swap have brought new questions to the table...the backup AAZ i had with the giles pump is the older style aaz with the single piece IP sprocket. the engine currently in my van is a late model aaz with the two piece IP sprocket.

anyone know if these pumps are interchangable?

?Waldo? Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:21 pm

Sure, but you'll need to swap the pump bracket with the pump. You'll need to adjust the belt tracking if you swap the pump bracket.

treatland Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:05 am

ahhh. bummer. was hoping it would be easier than that. i'm assuming you can't just swap the sprockets either.