TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Temp warning light flashing but temp gauge staying...
SurfRaider Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:27 pm

.....the same and in normal operating range. I pull over to check the 1.9 engine and figure out what is going on. I get shocked as soon as I touch the licences plate. the bumper also shocks my leg as I lean up against it as I check the engine. The engine is fine and is not over heating. My van keeps shocking me though. I hop back in and fire her up and the light goes out and I cruise away. 25 minutes down the road it starts flashing again, thank god I am about 2 min. from home so I just take it easy.
So I start tracing the wires back to the battery from the engine bay and cant seem to find where it is shorting out. Is this a familiar problem or has any one also had similar problems and can help guide me along? Any help would be great.
Also as I was crawling around under the bus today I spotted my oil leak that just started, coming from the oil fill hose and the engine. now its only two bolts but the far one is a bit tricky and I haven't had any luck getting a wrench or socket on it. Please dont tell me I have to drop the engine down to get to it?
Also my 1.9 is carburated as I was warming it up and looking for leaks and shorts and what not I went to rev the engine at the carburater and when I did fuel shot into my hand. On further inspection I found a small hole in the side of the carburater that was leaking fuel and shooting a small spray of it when the throttle was pressed. I guess I am going to try to clean up the spot and JB weld it. I have never seen anything like it. Its a little brass piece that looks apart of the manufacturing process between the two barrels of the carb. Again if anyone has any information that can help me along that would be very appreciated.
Thank you for your time
Donovan

Mathew Zelezen Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:35 pm

I can't help with the part where you are slowly being electrocuted..

but I think the flashing temp warning light may be that your coolant level is below the sensor.
With the van running and warm, check the reservoir on the driver's side of the engine bay to see if your coolant is low.

wcdennis Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Make sure you get the fuel leak fixed first, or the other problems may go up in smoke.

danfromsyr Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:02 pm

there are many reasons why the coolant light will blink.
the system requires a constant low voltage connection ACROSS the probes submersed within the coolant.. if that connection is interupted it will trigger the relay. and the relay may not reset w/o cycling the Ign key Off-ON

some possible interruptions to the circuit are

low coolant in the pressure tank located INSIDE the engine compartment.
a bad coolant lvl relay
a bad coolant lvl sensor
gunk on the probes on the coolant sensor interfering with the connection.
bad wiring to/from the coolant level sensor in the engine compartment.
bad/loose/corroded connection at the multi pin plug in the back of the instrument cluster
bad wiring within the instrument, possibly a capacitor on the board or a ground.

to name a few.. there are more than a couple other threads on what to look for and how to diagnose the coolant light if you search in this forum
just unplugging the sensor won't stop it, as that will just tell the relay that there isn't any coolant in the tank.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...h_forum=20

SurfRaider Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:02 pm

wcdennis wrote: Make sure you get the fuel leak fixed first, or the other problems may go up in smoke.
no doubt. I drained the fuel out of the carb now. tomorrow ill hit it with someJB weld

dhaavers Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 am

Q: Are you getting shocked whether the van is running or not, or only when running?

Option #1 could be a short from nearly any active wire anywhere throughout the van,
while option #2 would more likely be related to the coil/ignition or alternator...

Just sayin'... <shrug>

- Dave