TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wood floor, what is max height I have to work with
depps74 Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:36 pm

Reflooring my 90 Westy weekender. Just wdonering including subfloor and sound damp what is max height I can go? Subfloor should be 3/4? or is 1/2inch ok

4Gears4Tires Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:33 am

I went 3/4" because that's what I had laying around. You can definitely do 1/2".

I would recommend keeping the OEM fiberboard sound insulation in place and putting plywood on top of it.

depps74 Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:10 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: I went 3/4" because that's what I had laying around. You can definitely do 1/2".

I would recommend keeping the OEM fiberboard sound insulation in place and putting plywood on top of it. T

The old fiberboard is soaked in mouse urine. I'm just worried it will be too deep for the bench to sit on properly? Also the sliding door will it effect it closing? I've read that you should put down strips of wood in the voids, cover with sound damp, then subfloor then laminate or real wood flooring with liquid nails?

are there any videos on how to do this?

dabaron Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:03 am

the factory Westy floor is just under 3/8" and has a rubber or hard laminate flooring adhered to it. the flooring unit was glued directly to the metal floor and then screws added to clamp it until the glue dried. the screws are not needed if you apply a good amount of weight. make sure you glue to all the raised flutes in case you plywood is cupped...

i used 3/8" plywood with a 2mm PVC sheet flooring product adhered to it. i used no sound dampening or insulation between the metal and the plywood. i coated the plywood in several coats of polyurethane to resist water absorption and keeping the air gaps allows any water to collect in the fluting and then either run out or evaporate.