TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: AC clutch and radiator fan engage, but fan in headbanger doesn't
baltik Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Tried to fire up the AC after a long hiatus and was suprised that the fan in the headbanger didnít come on, the fuses behind the westy cabinet all look good, whatís the next place to check?

ProspectiveOwnergon Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 am

I have this EXACT same issue. Prior to vacuuming my system the fans would all turn on, but post that, I can't get the blower fan to turn on and my fuses are all golden. It's driving me NUTSO because all I was trying to do was recharge my system (that's a separate annoyance!)

dobryan Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:59 am

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote: I have this EXACT same issue. Prior to vacuuming my system the fans would all turn on, but post that, I can't get the blower fan to turn on and my fuses are all golden. It's driving me NUTSO because all I was trying to do was recharge my system (that's a separate annoyance!)

I'd check the wiring to the fan resistors in the headbanger. I believe you can get access to them from the front of the headbanger. Maybe you knocked the wires off or broke the resistors. They are about the size of your thumb.

ProspectiveOwnergon Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:13 am

dobryan wrote: ProspectiveOwnergon wrote: I have this EXACT same issue. Prior to vacuuming my system the fans would all turn on, but post that, I can't get the blower fan to turn on and my fuses are all golden. It's driving me NUTSO because all I was trying to do was recharge my system (that's a separate annoyance!)

I'd check the wiring to the fan resistors in the headbanger. I believe you can get access to them from the front of the headbanger. Maybe you knocked the wires off or broke the resistors. They are about the size of your thumb.

I DID fix the two brackets that hold it to the roof so my hands were in there pushing things around. Do you happen to have pictures/schematics for it that I can reference?

Syncro Jael Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:14 am

I bypassed the resistors and installed a PWM variable speed switch. We love it! And no more resistors and gobbling up all the power to just waste as heat.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738697&highlight=

dobryan Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 am

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote: dobryan wrote: ProspectiveOwnergon wrote: I have this EXACT same issue. Prior to vacuuming my system the fans would all turn on, but post that, I can't get the blower fan to turn on and my fuses are all golden. It's driving me NUTSO because all I was trying to do was recharge my system (that's a separate annoyance!)

I DID fix the two brackets that hold it to the roof so my hands were in there pushing things around. Do you happen to have pictures/schematics for it that I can reference?

here is a pic from the gallery. There are two resistors, one on the other side of the fan too.

ProspectiveOwnergon Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am

Mine is fully encased in plastic. 1990 camper.

https://imgur.com/a/kfjheJM

ProspectiveOwnergon Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:21 pm

To OP, here is the pages of note in Bentley. 87.4-5

Middle relay is for the evap fans (171 937 503) and the two fuses are for each fan. Measure voltage to see if relay is kicking on maybe?