TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lucas Additive in Vanagon transaxle? Other additives?
SyncroScout Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 am

Good morning Sambanistas -

Reading as much as I can lately about the VW transaxle.

Being that it is "splash" lubricated I am considering augmenting a good synthetic gear oil with about a half a quart of Lucas to let it fling around a little better for the 3rd-4th gear.

About to have a rebuild and I'm going to have the "oiling plates" added as well.

Has anyone had good results with this?

Is there another additive people here are using and liking?

Current plan is to use the Swepco 202 after letting the gears break in a little.

I plan to use the Van in cold conditions this winter (in the teens and 20's)

ALIKA T3 Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:50 am

I love the Bardahl additive but it`s probably more psychological than anything else, but I did see shifting improvements. It cannot hurt that`s for sure :lol:

BCgee Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Rebuilt 094 transaxle with SA oiling plates here. I do not use additives - i favor annual swepco 210 transaxle changes. My understanding is that regular swepco changes, and gentle driving, is the best preventative maintenance possible for vanagon transaxles. My research indicates 210 better addresses pinion tooth wear, which then leads to ring gear tooth destruction. Heat is the enemy and swepco and oiling plates do a pretty good job when treated properly.

Note - swepco viscosity will take more time to warm up, particularly if you're in a cold climate; while it may feel "hard" shifting that is the racing grade oil. Rev-matching for proper gear meshing and not driving the transaxle like a Civic in high school means it will go the distance.

nocreditnodebt Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:44 pm

The Lucas additive might neutralize the antifoaming agents of the existing fluid, like it does to many motor oils.

tjet Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:54 pm

I use the Lucas gear oil all the time for top off's of the swepco 201

I like lucus vs the other gear oils because of the climbing additive.