TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuse Issue
mickowens Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:14 am

Fuse issue: The No.1, 8 amp fuse on my 1980 Westy, which controls the left tail light, side, and parking lights, blows intermittently. Just sometimes, not always, when I turn on the lights. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ahwahnee Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:59 am

One thing that may help as you try to find the problem - you can make a reusable 'fuse' from an old headlight.

The headlight (either beam) is wired in series on the circuit in place of the fuse.

In normal use it will be either off or glow dimly, but when the fuse would have blown (e.g. a dead short) it will illuminate brightly.

Since you are getting the problem when you turn on the lights it sounds like an intermittent short rather than an overload.

Were it I, I would connect the headlight 'fuse' as described then fiddle with switches and light fixtures to see if I could create the problem.

Nice thing about the headlight is that you don't have to be staring at a meter while you move about trying things - you'll notice immediately when the light comes on.

MarkWard Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:24 pm

I have found front and rear lenses filled with water. Might check that yours are dry.

Gnarlodious Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 pm

First sign of electrical weirdness you should suspect the grounding strap between the transmission and frame. When it gets rusty all sorts of of odd trouble happens.